1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastal Electronic's "Receiver Hitch" for 2004?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Hoagie, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Hoagie

Hoagie New Member

Hello all.

Does anyone have the Receiver Hitch for the 2004 installed? I am thinking about getting it so I can pick up a bike rack to carry my bike around, but would like to hear any feedback any current owners might have.

Thanks!

2. xlarimer

xlarimer New Member

Me too. I'm really finding it hard to put my electric bike in the back of the car.

Okay...I admit, I'm lazy.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got his 1¼" hitch installed on my '02 (Classic version), works great for a wheelchair carrier. Eventually will order one for my '04 as well. His instructions are easy to follow and the workmanship on the hitch is excellent. It's one solid beast :)

-Rick

4. fredr500

fredr500 Junior Member

Rick,

How does the wheelchair carrier effect gas mileage? I'm thinking about getting a cargo carrier but if it is too big a hit to mileage I'll just use my truck when I need more than fits in the Prius.
    Thanks
    Fred

5. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The Coastal Hitch on the '02 with the chair has a 5mpg or so hit. The top of the chair sits above the trunk line so there is some additional drag. Driving to/from Disneyland in OC, we get probably 39-41mpg average.

Without the chair, it's a negligable difference since the carrier is below the trunk line.

In the end - the MPG hit still makes it so that you get WAY more than the truck unless your truck gets 30mpg or better with cargo :)

6. fredr500

fredr500 Junior Member

Thanks Rick,

The only thing is I have the truck, I need to spend $150 on the hitch and $150+/- on the carrier.

15mpg on truck, 30mpg on Prius w/ carrier. I need to save $300 to break even. If gas is $2.00/gal that's 150 gallons I need to save. That would be 150 x 30 = 4500 miles to break even.

My upcoming vacation is only 1200 miles, so it's actually cheaper to take the truck, I'd have more room and be more comfortable (It's a Chevy Avalanche that is a great driving vehcile) and my stuff would be enclosed, locked and save from th elements, but not have nearly as much fun driving.

I never really thought it through until now, thanks for the push.
    Of course the best thing is to fit it all in the Prius, but with 3 women I'm not sure that's an option.

Oh well....
    Fred

7. Hoagie

Hoagie New Member

Remember that the 30mpg that spinnr is pointing out there is for the '02 Prius. You should be able to do much better with the '04.

Although, having replaced a '95 Nissan truck when I bought my Prius, if I had the two cars I would probably still take my truck on a long trip with that kind of cargo. I would think of it this way -- if a bike slips, which car would I car less about getting hit? :)

I did order the hitch from Coastal Dave, but have yet to hear anything back from them. It is still (technically) less then a week, but things are obviously not jumping out the door when you order them. You might not even get the hitch before you leave! :lol:

I'll see about getting some numbers about current and post-hitch (with, and without rack + bike) for the '04 Prius. Unfortunately, I don't travel much at the moment and most places I want to take my bike I can get there on my bike. ;) The hitch is more of a hopeful things to come. :mrgreen:

I'll try and find a nice county road and take a Saturday to do some testing.

8. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    When I ordered, it took a week or two myself. He's busy and makes these himself (I believe).

The product is worth the wait, but coming UPS ground adds some extra time to boot.