1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastal EV Kit

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by CruZindon, Apr 23, 2011.

1. CruZindon

CruZindon New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am planning to install the Coastal EV kit in my 2008 Prius. Let's say that i install it and If in case something goes wrong with the hybrid system and i remove the kit prior to bringing it to the dealer, will they be able to tell that the kit was installed previously? I am just worried about voiding the warranty.

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    1 person likes this.
  3. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You won't like the Coastal kit. It works, but the 3-second delay is really annoying if you plan to use it on a regular basis. I swapped it out for the cheap, simple button and I like that much better.

1 person likes this.
  4. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In every day use, how and when, specifically do you use your EV button?

5. CruZindon

CruZindon New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But doesn't the button solution require you to be stopped and in park? You like the one described in calcars.org or the flasher one?

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My dealer doesn't even know it's there. They have to determine that the kit was the reason why a part failed. I find it hard to believe it will cause anything to fail since it's not putting extra stress on the factory wires and the programming for EV Drive Mode is in the car, not in the kit.

7. CruZindon

CruZindon New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds good! Do you have the coastal? How do you like it in terms of the benefits?

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah mine's the coastal kit and uses the cruise control stalk. It's just a small little thing tucked near the passenger footwell.

(you might wanna fix up your profile since there are no models in the Gen 2 and the Adv. Tech pack is a Gen 3 package... yours would be a number.. I think 2008 had 8 packages??)

In the Gen 2, the EV Drive Mode parameters are more relaxed because they were not designed to please the EPA. You can drive it in EV Drive Mode with the engine cold up to 55km/h (34mph) while on the Gen 3, we're stuck to 10mph when cold and 25mph when the engine's warmed up.

Don't expect it to boost mpg. It can if you know what you're doing but otherwise, your mpg might actually drop because remember that the battery will be charged by the engine (unless you intend to go down a hill long/steep enough to recharge the battery).

I've used it in the following situations, by no means is it all encompassing

1. Moving in/out of the garage to wash it

2. Moving in and around an underground parkade to reduce emissions

3. Shut off the engine on the move on a stretch of road on my commute that I know it would normally shut off

4. Keep the engine off if I'm pulling out of a parking lot until I can merge into traffic (so i'm not sitting there idling away while waiting to turn right into traffic)

5. Burn off battery charge before I head down a hill where I can fully charge the battery

6. To showcase the Prius' EV mode

7. When waiting in line at the border. We can shut off our engines (there's a traffic light there to move traffic in waves) so when I start up to move, I can use EV Drive Mode to keep the engine off since I'm only moving a few metres. This isn't necessary on the Gen 3 since the engine stays off if it's warm but not the case in the Gen 2. It will come on, do the start-up check and then shut down so to avoid doing that, I use EV Drive Mode.

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, the button works at any condition where EV would normally be allowed.

10. CruZindon

CruZindon New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dear tideland and efusco

Thanks for all the info!

Yup I'll change my profile since I have no idea what package etc.

Btw I intend to use ev when going to church or grocery and back half a mile away. Last 2 miles of my commute home where speeds are less than 35. In the morning on the way to work the engine will automatically come on to warm up and recharge battery, correct? In LA traffic where there are portions when speeds of stop and go are below 25. These among other things you mentioned.

Thanks!!!

11. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Tideland gave a good overview. By far, the most effective use is to avoid a cold start-up for a very, very short trip. You must be able to make it from point A to point B without running the battery down to 2 bars, though. Without an external charging source, the battery energy must ultimately come from the engine, either through regen braking or direct charging. However, when the engine is cold, it is burning rich and inefficiently, and most motive energy comes from the battery anyway. If you can make a short trip, maybe 1/4 mile, without the engine coming on at all, you can save gas.

The most ineffective use is to start out in EV mode with a cold engine, run the battery down to two bars, and then have the engine providing motive energy and recharging the battery in panic mode while burning rich.

Before going to the trouble of installing the EV switch, it is worth considering how often it will be useful. This is one reason why the EV switch is not offered as an option in North America, because the average driver here is not savvy enough to know when or when not to use it.

12. CruZindon

CruZindon New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you everybody for the information!!!

13. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use my EV button just about every single day. I mostly use it to shut the engine off when I'm approaching a stop sign or stop light. I think the engine may shut down anyway but I just do it quicker because I know it's approaching. As others have mentioned, moving very short distances I use it as well.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.
  15. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi CruZindon. Sorry if I sound negative about this but many of the things you're hoping to use EV mode for might not be very successful with just a simple EV button. Some of the things you want to do would only really be successful if you get an actual plugin EV conversion.

That's about one mile total. If there are any hills at all you wont make it in EV mode. Even if the terrain is dead flat you will still be running the traction battery down to about the limit (where the engine is forced to come on). Now the real problem is that next time you go to drive the car the battery will go right down to purple (SOC level) and the engine will strain much harder and use a lot more fuel.

Overall here's what you'll achieve.

Net gain: Nothing. It wont save you one drop of fuel.

Net Loss: More wear and tear on your engine next time you cold start. A huge amount more wear and tear on your traction battery.

See above comment.

Yes this could be worthwhile. I use the EV button sometime to make it easier to do the slow stop-start thing without triggering the engine to come on. Still be aware that there's only fairly limited capacity to do this and if you allow the battery to run down too far then you really pay the price later when the engine cut-on and has to work much harder.

16. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I had to remove my coastal tech because it went haywire. This is not a common problem, but I've found other people on line who've had this same problem. Basically, what happens is the chip stops intercepting the stalk signals which is annoying because you lose control over EV mode. But what's worse is that after a time, the chip will start sending random (and often extremely frequent) signals to engage or disengage EV mode. Like every 5 seconds. Not only is this bad for the engine (when you're at speeds below 34 mph) but it's very annoying and wasteful of your battery. I'd say got with the simpler solution, though it might be more work to install, I doubt it will go insane on you. Some people have had excellent results from the coastal, but if you plan on using it a lot, the wear and tear on the CC stalk could wear it out. I'd got with the button if I were going to do it again. Next time I buy a car, it'll hopefully be an EV.

17. CruZindon

CruZindon New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  18. CruZindon

CruZindon New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi brick!

The button alternative requires you to remove the connector pins from the flasher plug for use with the wire to connect to the nv plug. Can those connector pins be purchased from Toyota or radioshack? That would shorten the process correct?

19. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, you can purchase the correct pin with a short length of wire attached directly from Toyota. I don't know the part number offhand, but it costs about $15.

20. CruZindon

CruZindon New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I need help!!!

I followed calcars guide on doing the EV mode. But, due to my inexperience, I tested hole #27 connection in the ECU plug. I think I pulled too hard and broke the wire leaving the connector that I inserted. Now I could not remove the connector and replace it with another one.

Do you have any ideas on how to pull it out?

Thanks for the guide and also if you have any ideas to help me.