1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastal EV Mod Install - Video

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ThunderJon, Jan 8, 2007.

1. vuapplepudding

vuapplepudding New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thunder,

Sweet video. You make it look too easy.

2. jims409

jims409 jims409

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Question on Coastal EV mode

I just installed the Coastal EV mode and it went real easy and works perfect !!! I have one question. How far has anyone been able to travel in EV mode on a fully charged battery? I couldn't get as far as I had hoped. I did go easy on the pedal and stayed just under the 30 MPH range but didn't get more than 2-3 miles before it went down to two bars and the engine turned on. Any input or suggestions ? Thanks, Jim

3. Gilbert

Gilbert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Question!!

Hello, I just bought my 2008 Prius about a month ago, I'm really interested on this thing, since i really, really hate that when I start my Prius, it most of the times starts charging the battery, even when its more than half, and by doing this, it makes alot of engine noise for some reason,that even people look around to see where is that noice comming from.. like if it were an old busted car :eek:........ i even took it to the dealer for checkup, but they told me it was normal engine sound when it was doing that.. And what do i know to prove them wrong . But i was wondering, this lets you ride the car until a certain speed, then it goes to the ice mode, but what if i need to accelerate rapidly for any reason from standing still, will it switch from stealth to ice like it would normally do? Thanks..

4. cngrevolution

cngrevolution Dallas Realtor

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes it will go right into regular "ice mode" if you 1. exceed 34mph or 2. depress the accelerator too hard or 3. if the battery drops to 2 bars. It works really well. I just put one in my 05 and its nice. I have seen a bit of an increase in mpg's after installing mine. Its nice to be able to roll out of my subdivision in EV and then when I get onto the main road where the ice would come on anyway it does. The price is right too! :D

5. djelsewhere

djelsewhere New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just installed the EV mode component, unfortunately before seeing this video. The installation was relatively quick and easy, though people with larger hands may sustain a few scrapes trying to get that dang plug out, as I did. Pretty easy though, and it works great. Coastal sent me some jelly beans with it too. :)

6. SLYDOGRACING

SLYDOGRACING Gas Mizer

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a 2008 Prius with 300 miles on it. I recieved my ev mod from Coastal today and immediately went and installed it after watching this video twice:D Install was super easy and took 10 minutes tops. Perfect instructions and Jelly Beans were Awesome, but after the install I went for a short trip to Walmart and actually lost 2-3 mpg. Using the ev mode it seemed to run the battery down and then the motor ran more, harder, and longer to charge the battery back up. I think the ev mod coastal offers is more for the wow factor when you take your neighbor for a ride not a actual gain in MPG. I hope I am incorrect and will later see a actual gain in the future but at first observation I am not going to hold my breath :rolleyes:

7. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    is this a install where you use the criuse control switch to go to ev mode ? and not a EV button?

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes

9. altruistguy

altruistguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Coastal EV Mod Install - Pin Broke!

Hello Folks,

I just got a '08 Prius (tentative name: Evie (as in E-V, Electric Vehicle - I know, not fully electric, but close enough at the moment)). I received my Coastal EV Mod kit about two or so days after ordering it (very prompt!).

After viewing Thunder's video several times, reading the instructions through several times, and the other folks amplifying comments in this thread (I also found it useful to remove the square part that Thunder did not and the recommendation about a crochet hook was right on), I attempted the install myself.

Unfortunately, there was a problem:(. The "white bar" that you are supposed to pry away from the plug to allow insertion of the wire: I successfully pried it away from the plug exactly "a smidge". Then tried pushing the pin in. I found that I had to push it in pretty hard. The force of me pushing really hard -- bent the metal piece that is supposed to be inserted -- and broke it off!

When I then looked at the white bar, I found that it apparently had snapped back into place -- which was probably the problem.

Anyway, I'm unable to proceed without another plug fitting. Hopefully, the nice folks at Coastal will "hook me up" so that I might finish up.

This was indeed as simple as it looks. And yes, I too got my hand a bit scratched up (and drew a bit of blood :eek:).

Eric

Update (3/31/2008):
    Unfortunately, Coastal's tech support was as non-existent as reported elsewhere on this chatroom :(. I sent an E-Mail and telephoned, but got no response (after waiting two and a half months). Still wanting the mod, I decided to just bite the bullet and order another one. This one I was able to install successfully. I've only used it once so far, but it appears to work as advertised -- cool!

10. montenido

montenido A 2 Prius household

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks, Thunder. I bought the mod about a year ago and then my wife stole my Pruis. Installing the mod fell by the wayside until she finally got her own about a month ago. After seeing your great video, I will get it done this week. BTW, I ordered an Ipod adapter from a different but similar company, and the install was a breeze.

Thanks again for the vid!

11. Kidd

Kidd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Oh yeah? Did you get a second date out of the deal?

12. dkafrissen

dkafrissen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just did my mod took ten minutes. I scratched my hand a little. I am really hoping this helps on my short commute. So far I average 38.5 on my first tank, I'd like to break 41 this next tank.

13. Gilbert

Gilbert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    you dont need no mod to break 41. my last tank was 52 with like 430miles, no highway driving. this current tank has 50.7 and ive been speeding! and i have no mods, all stock. just dont prees accelerator so hard, and you will be able to get 46+ each tank. if it shows less than 40 in the screen (on flat roads), you are pressing it too hard :biggrin1:

14. pfmanny

pfmanny New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey thanks for the great, great video! although I do have a question?

Question: Why do some people actually have an EV button installed next to there headlight switch lever? what does that button do? I saw what you did with the cruise control is that the same thing? or am I just confused?

Thanks either way but I hope you can take the time to answer my question if you have an answer.

Manny:D

15. priususername

priususername New Member

The EV Button is standard on European and Japanese based prius' I believe. Makes you wonder why its not added on US vehicles...hmm interesting. You can add it as found on this website via sigma automotive,
    Sigma Automotive – Toyota Hybrid Prius 2004 - 2009 OEM & JDM auto accessories , but you'll have to confirm it will work on 06 and greater vehicles. some of the cool mods they have are for 04/05. sweet website though for Prius add ons!!

Great VIDEO Thunder re EV Mode!! wow that was easy w/ your help!!

16. 08Prius

08Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

I tried to put in on and i forgot to plug in after every wires installed.After that every single light was on(check engine,vsc....) So i took everything out and plug it back on, Engine run as usual accept the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT still on the dash board. Can you tell me how to reset the check engine light?or is it going to be there still?
    I have a friend who works at a mechanic shop and i think he can reset it for me.

Thanks

17. tmanson

tmanson Geetar-playin' Traveler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This was a really good resource for me. I watched it before I put mine in and I highly recommend it. Thanks to whomever was involved in the making, posting and sticking it.

Tom

18. iPracticeYoga

iPracticeYoga Y Yoga Movie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am a filmmaker and I just purchased a new Prius. I would love to film someone doing a lockpick 3+ install as well as an ipod mod install as well as other empowering tutorials on a 2008 touring prius. I am happy to post these on youtube. It is so much easier installing after watching you talent guys doing your thing. I am in Southern California and have my own equipment. In fact i am just releasing a film on living a better sustainable life through the practice of yoga. Yoga Movie - Home

19. rokibler

rokibler Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The video helped give me the confidence to do the install myself. I completed it in about 35 minutes (tonight), including a drive around the block to be sure it was working before I completed the reassembly. I'm getting about 55 mpg on my first 600 miles (I've had the car for 14 days).

The electronics have a different form factor than the one in the video.

Attached Files:

20. iPracticeYoga

iPracticeYoga Y Yoga Movie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    what is the link to the movie.