1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastal EV mod is a winner!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by windstrings, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Good point. I saw a used battery recently here on PriusChat being sold on eBay for around $500. It came out of a Prius that had been totaled.

The only comment about the "veterans" using these EV switches is we haven't actually seen the longevity in time yet to be able to tell whether or not there has been a real effect or not of using the EV switch. As the old saying goes......time will tell.

I did pose the question to my contact this afternoon about the EV switch. I just got the same response about it voiding the warrenty etc.

My own personal take is I see the car already going into stealth mode on its own. Once the car is warmed up I sorta have control over EV mode by how I drive it. So, I am going to take the conservative route and keep the car in stock mode and not push my luck. I am planning on keeping the car longer than other vehicles I have owned in the past. So, anything which reasonably gives me the edge to obtain that longevity I will do.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers

2. glenk

glenk Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Windstrings,

Once I get passed pulling off the side vent piece, I think the rest would be easy. I tugged at it for awhile but didn't want to take a chance in breaking it somehow.

Any words of wisdom for me? Is it just a matter of going for it?

Tnx, Glenk

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Shoot I was scared to death at taking the dash apart. The electronics did not bother me I built a bunch of Heath Kits in my day, but the last time I took the interior panels off a car (1990 Ford Explorer) to replace the blown speaker in the back with a good used one it cost me more to replace the fasteners that I broke than the speaker cost. Toyota did a great job at making that part easy. Took me three tries to get the pin in far enough. Dave did a good job with the instructions. Almost makes me brave enough to try the back up camera, almost but not quite I am going to get help for that one.
    Your excitement overwelmed me!

4. cdavid

cdavid Member

Does this mod help you get better gas milage? Surely its not just to silence the already quiet engine at an opportune time. Since the engine has to run longer to recharge the additional battery depletion and consuming gas to replace stored energy, what's the real benefit from this?

I guess if I just want to back the car out of my garage for another coat of Zaino, I could do with without the engine starting. Is it this sort of operation that the switch is best used?

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, that would be a very good reason. Moving from one location to another in a parking lot would be another. I could go to a couple of stores or to my parent's house from church if I had an EV switch.

It can save mileage, but not on all occasions.

6. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I hope you have the instructions.. but the little square piece at the bottom thats about 3 X 3 inches... start there by pulling at the "bottom"of it... this is where I used slight pressure from a screwdriver to get it started.. believe me.... it pops right out with not problem... its made to pop in and out.. the the longer vent piece ... again start at the bottom and lift up.
    The glove box is so easy... lower it down.. release the right side air shock lever and squeeze the sides of the glove box to release the final catches.. then pull out and it comes completely off very easy.

7. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They do it routinely in Japan and Europe..its built into the computer already and is made for it...
    I think they left it off for litigation reasons since we are so sue happy. :p

8. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

I'd been under the impression that the EV mode was left out in the USA because it would wreak havoc on the EPAs testing process - you'd be introducing a whole new variable into the equation, and it seems they just chose not to deal with it. Regardless, this option is installed and waranteed everywhere else in the world - Toyota designed its software to deal with it appropriately, and so long as you aren't too aggressive in your use, and use a little common sense, you won't see any more trouble than the rest of the world.

That said, there always stands the possibility that something down-wire of it could fail, and they could use it as an excuse not to cover it. My husband doesn't think I should put it in unless I could remove it if needed - he took a look and has an idea to make it a step shy of removable. If it works out I'll post steps in case anyone would be interested.

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The answer is yes and no. You can use the EV mode to improve milage if you first understand the Prius and how it works, use EV only when it can benefit you. Other than that it is fun!

10. priusblue

priusblue New Member

You inspired me! I received my coastal EV mod about 2 weeks ago and "hadn't had time" to install it. After reading how little time it took you, we finally decided to try it out tonight and it works great! We were worried we hadn't put the orange wire in far enough, but couldn't get it in any further, so we put the plug back in and checked it, and it didn't work :eek: . So, I went back in to pull the plug back out, and discovered that I hadn't pushed it all the way back in. So, I did that, and my husband started it, pulled the cruise lever back for 3 seconds or so, and the ICE didn't crank up - it worked! :D We drove around the block, but kept waiting for the engine to come on. All in all, took us about 30 minutes.

Fantastic mod - lots of fun. Will have to see how much I use it on a day to day basis, but it will be great for moving the car short distances, etc. Plus fun for showing off, of course!

Edit: added that we turned EV mode on!

11. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Windstring, Can you please install one for me <BEG>

12. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I
    Here in washington state you don't even have to do deq with the prius.
    Why bother?.. its gonna pass with flying colors anyway?

Its very removable... all you are doing is taking two wires and tapping them into two other wires and then a third wire has a metal pin that goes down into an empty pin hole in the plug "#27".... the little device that hooks to the three wires is about the size of a quarter. Yes, it can all be removed in worse case scenario...

but keep in mind, Toyota has integrated this already into the computer.. all we are doing is accessing whats already there.

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Be glad to.. can you be at my house on monday? :lol:

14. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sounds like you got it in... based on what you said.. others may think it sounds like it activates when you start the car.. just to clear the mud.. it does not...

You have to activate it by pulling the lever for 2 seconds.. but when you first start your car you notice the ICE doesn't start for a few seconds.. as long as you activate it during that period the ICE will then not come on as the EV mode is activated.
    I find I can really increase my gas mileage in stop and go traffic...

It doesn't seem to help doing heavy loads like climbing a hill.. that eats up the battery fast.. but its still ok if you know you will be building it back on the downside of a small hill.

Releasing that little white keeper that moves only a tiny bit is what allows room for that pin...needle nose pliers really help getting it in. grab close to the plug and push it in about an 1/8 of an inch at a time an you won't bend it and it will go nicely.

15. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Tracy, if you will go ahead and order the part and read the instructions till you figure you got an idea... I will walk you through it on the phone.

I have verizon cell if you do it will be a free call.. otherwise we'll figure something out.

It should be easy.. I can do it in my head now.. the second time I did it, I didn't need the instructions...... its a piece of cake once you've done it just one time.

PM me and let me know if you want.

You want the "2004-2006
    Electric Mode Kit" for 45.oo

Note, I went back and changed my post from 52.00 to 45.00... I forgot thats what I paid... 52.00 was for the one with the button that I cancelled.

https://secure.webspacehosting.com/~shann/new_page_2.htm

16. priusblue

priusblue New Member

True - I'll go back and edit that post for clarity

17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

It can help.. if you use it right.. and it can hurt too if you use it wrong.. but thats ok if you're having fun! :lol:

The car can't see that there is a hill coming and you may choose to use it in the city going under 34mph to get over the hill knowing you will gain it back...

Mostly for light duty stuff to keep the ICE from having to do it.. its more effecient to let the ICE take care of the heavy stuff.

Sitting on long traffic... you don't have to be as paranoid about the ICE momentarily coming on because you hit the gas a tiny bit too hard.. it gives you much more freedom to accelerate, yet it will still disengage if you really need more power than is practicle for the battery alone to provide.

There are a ton of threads on how to use EV.

18. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Yeah I wish! :(

19. Darwin23

Darwin23 New Member

Well i was so excited to my ev mod when i got it today. I can finally say that i've finally gave up working on it. I was able to do everything in the instructions...except for the last part---getting the orange wire to go all the way thru. It says in the instructions to try to pull the white plastic guard out. I did that, but i still wasnt able to push the orange down. Then i thought that maybe the white guard needs to be pulled back a little bit more...so i did, and i broke the plastic in the middle. then i messed around with it with a tiny screwdriver, and broke the plastic on the left side exposing the wires. I've put the plug back and out so many times that my hands is all scraped and scratch from the metal edges. I really wish i could get it to work. I just have to stop in fear of creating more damage to the plug and messing up my warranty. Is there anyone in so. cali that can help me??? I will go to you!!!!

20. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Ouch!..sorry Darwin.. the little white plastic keeper only needs pulled out on the side your working on.. " the end where the white striped wire is". And on the side is a little tit that gives you something to grab to slide it forward .... at any rate it doesn't move much at all.. maybe 1/16 inch. the when you put in the orange wire.. use needle nose pliers..not your fingers as you will only bend it.
    You can use fingers to get it about half way in, but then grab it in about 1/8 inch bites as close to the plug and you can and inch it in. I doubt you hurt anything as nothing pulls on the wires to pull them back out once you finish messing with it.

Give it a rest and when you get in the mood again.. check it out one more time with a fresh start and mind.