1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastal EV mod is a winner!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by windstrings, Feb 9, 2006.

1. alsgameroom

alsgameroom Member

The savvy user may get some additional milage, I installed mine today and the car acts as I expected from reading the many threads here.

I think the reason the EV is not available on NA cars is that there may be a bit to high level of expectancy for EV mode. Without a battery modification EV mode is nice but limited. There are some Americans who do not have the words "limited" "restricted" or "in moderation" in their vocabulary... obvioulsy its not prius chatters!

My main reason for wanting EV is that I live in a high elevation area. theres no way I can go anywhere without encountering a long steep hill. I am constantly charging my batteries to 2 green bars and sometimes overcharging where the motor starts up to discharge the battery to a safe level. Well today I foiled that nasty 'ole hill. I pulled my battery down to 3 bars in EV mode before one of those hills. At the bottom of the hill I was at one green bar. nice!

I may get a gain in my mpg because these hills are potential energy which I can more effectively use now. But thats yet to be seen.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow. a little overestimate on the price of the battery? geez.

and you're spreading misinformation all over the place. there is no definitive info that toyota will void your warranty over an ev switch. everything you're referencing refers to the PLUG IN MOD.

3. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Ouch.. your getting some nasty info!..
    You can buy another battery from the factory now for about 2500, they will be much cheaper later. You can get one out of a wrecked prius for much less than that.

Your living in your fears.. you have guys out here that have 10's of thousands of miles under thier belt with the EV mod and are doing great!

It makes the decision pretty easy when so many others have gone before you.

And it says no where that an EV switch will void the warranty.. you sound awefully absolute? Do you have a "reason" your convictions are so absolute?

If you put new tire valve caps on your wheels does that void the warranty for the air-conditioner?

They have to prove that your mod are directly responsible for your problem.

The way I see it, when my battery finally gives out "and it will be quite a while from now", there will be better batts avail for less... possibly some cool plug in kits too.

If you want to keep your car perfectly stock, thats ok and not to be condemned, just try not to condemn others for putting a simple switch in that accesses whats already there.

Its always been the American way to "improve" our cars by modding them... few people mod thier car to make them worse?

I challenge you to find anywhere a confirmed case where Toyota or a toyota dealership has refused to warranty based on an EV switch mod?

I searched high and low and couldn't find it!

In fact EV switches and all, I have only heard from dealers that they never sell any of thier batteries because one ever needs them?

4. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    those are easy ones... just watch your real time monitor on a flat terrain and hold it steady. Then turn on your heat and or headlights on and then off.. see if there is any reflection of the mpg on your MFD.

Your car throws around really tremendous currents and wattages all the time. Your battery can develope 28 horsepower worth of power.... one horsepower is only about 740 watts.
    When your headlights draw 30 watts each and your seat warmer draw 45 to 60 watts, thats not even enough to sweat.

thats why you never see any mention of negative effects.. they are too hard to measure and too little to be concerned about.

Everytime you apply the brakes, you are eating up hundreds of watts of power forever to be lost... even regen only captures a small percentage of what is lost.
    How you drive is much more important than whether you run small item appliances such as lights etc.

Welcome to the Forum!... your concerns are important because for every person bold enough to voice their concerns, there are probrably hundreds that think the same thought but won't ask.

5. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ok , I must have gotten my wires crossed here, I was responding to the plug in modifacation and the EV button modifications.

I was informed by a dealership here in central Fl that doing these (electrical) mods could / would void the warranty on the car. "yes the EV button is avalible outside the US" but is disabled here in north america.

Here is an article from autonews it can be found here:
    http://www.carbuyersnotebook.com/archives/vehicles/toyota/

brief excrpt.

Actually, the $45 kit, which takes 25 minutes to install, permits North American Prius owners to access an option that is standard on the car in Japan and Europe.
    But the feature is disabled here and Toyota is warning Prius owners that installing this doo-dad will void their waranty.

That being said, I think its great that these Mods are becoming availible tried true and tested and are affordably priced...

It just should be thrown out there that it may void the warranty and the comsumer may want to check with the dealer or toyota corp. before modding a brand new car..

P.S. changing the valve stems is apples and oranges ;)

Thats all I have to say

I have deleted all my other posts under this topic..

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    sigh....

again. you're highlighting the wrong words. it MAY void the warranty. and the source you're now citing is citing the same info you were originally citing- it's like the telephone game.

there is no definitive statement saying that your warranty will be void if you install an ev button.

DH talked to his regional rep, and the guy said it shouldn't make a difference really. while he didn't explicitly say that the warranty would be completely intact... you think he would have at least warned about it becoming an issue.

batteries cost less than $3k now, and shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours of labor at whatever the going rate at the dealership nearby costs.

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    and don't forget the $250 you get back from Toyota for recycling the battery. ;) That may well pay for the install! Toyota wants these batteries back. If one fails they want to know why. Also it is entirely possible that the batteries can have defective cells replaced and the battery returned to service. The battery is very modular.

8. cdavid

cdavid Member

I can't even get by step 2. The plastic cover isn't coming off with a fair amount of force. I'm afraid I will break it. I may be prying in the wrong place, hard to tell from the small supplied pictures.

I don't want to break my dash up. I sound pretty lame consdering I'm a former elec. engr.

Whats the trick?

9. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cdavid @ Apr 5 2006, 06:29 PM) [snapback]235610[/snapback]</div>

Start at teh bottom piece first... get the ball rolling by gently prying with a screwdriver to lift it out from the side and pull from the bottom with your hand.. once it comes, the next one above it comes out the same way, except no prying is needed....
    Dont forget to open the glove box when doing the second piece as it will bind it if you don't.

10. o2cool

o2cool o2cool

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Has anyone with the Coastal EV mod seen a significant increase in mileage? I have noticed that the Prius is least efficient when going a short distance in cold weather. I drive about 1 mile to work, so I would just drive in EV mode to work, and perhaps drive home in reg mode, saving one cold start. I am pretty sure that for my driving (lots of short trips), that this mod will save me quite a bit of gas.

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(o2cool @ Sep 9 2007, 12:57 AM) [snapback]509412[/snapback]</div>
    I've had mine for almost a year and a half now and my conclusion is that its a fun novelty.... if you want to spend 95% effort and attention you may get 5% gas mileage improvement, but its mostly a nice toy to cruise silently through parking lots "careful not to straddle any pedestrians that can't hear you!" or for special needs or circumstances, but all in all you have to use it at times when the engine would kinda want to anyway.... Its also nice to impress your friends or when showing off your car for the first time to a newbie how you can use battery alone to drive.

Don't see this as a "negative" as there are many cool features on the prius that aren't all about gas mileage... like your auto rollup on your drivers window, or gas pressure sensors for your tires etc.
    If your truely only getting it for gas mileage savings alone, don't bother.

But its a bargain for the coolness it brings to your car IMO.

Exceptions to that rule are when the engine has never been fired up at all and you want to go across the street or even around the block without ever firing up your ICE.... if you let it fire up without activating the EV to head off at the pass, it will not let you engage EV anyway after that until its warmed up sufficiently thereby defeating any gas mileage savings.

This is probrably the reason Toyota left it off as it may gender more confusion than benifit from the non-techy americans that we are compared to the Japanese.

Just remember you are not using "free" energy if you use it much at all.... in other words, if you deplete the battery very far at all, the ICE will simply fire up to replenish it whether you like it or not, thereby defeating gas mileage savings.

The only times it really helps "gas mileage wise" is when you tap into its abilities to "wisely" use the extra kinetic energy aquired from excess braking or coasting.

12. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(o2cool @ Sep 9 2007, 01:57 AM) [snapback]509412[/snapback]</div>
    It will if you live uphill from work. I've had mine for 2.5 years. On a flat, 25 MPH road without stops you can probably make a mile or a little more IF the battery is all blue bars. BUT, if you drag it down to 2 pink just as you stop (the ICE will start at 2 pink) the ICE will be doing all the work on the way home while it charges the battery so you have gained nothing. Never had green bars on my sample road to test distance. I use mine (for gas savings) when I am on a road I know the car will go into electric on its own, but I have not had to stop long enough for the ICE to shut down. In the same area, if I stop at a stop sign and STAY stopped until the ICE shuts down, the car will do EV on its own. So, I am saving myself (and those behind me) the 10 or so seconds needed to stop the ICE. Note that I have to have gone at least a mile or 2 (current temps) before the car will let me force EV since the ICE had been running. In the winter, it can be cold enough that you can NOT force EV.

I DID use EV coming home from the Y yesterday after my daughter's swimming lesson. The first mile is down hill with lots of stop signs and pedestrians, the next .5 mile is flat or trending up again - 3 stop signs 2 signals. I did EV from the start, made it past the signal at the 1.5 mile mark, then cancelled it. At the 1.5 mark, the road slopes up more. If the car was in EV by itself, it will cancel at this location so I do too since I know it only gets steeper for the next 1/2 mile. I started at 7 green and ended at 4 blue. In this case, I definately saved since the ICE would have been running at all the stop signs and pedestrian crossings but I didn't drag the battery down to the point the computers would use the ICE to charge it.

UPDATE: The trip yesterday was on a fairly cold engine, off for 1.5 hours. I just took my older daughter to the Y. 61F ambient, car not driven since yesterday. I stopped to let her out, at this point, the ICE had JUST warmed to the point it would do EV, Here are the numbers:

BTW - 30 and 25 MPH roads.

Where Tank miles...MFD MPG
    Home.........272.5.........52.5 - More up than down on the way to the Y
    'Y'...............275.5.........52.1
    Forced EV - 6 blue bars
    1.5 mile mark - 4 blue bars, cleared signal, cancelled EV
    Home.........278.5.........52.3 - 4 blue bars

5 minute bars (approx) 23, 35, 100, 90
    (given the hill, I suspect the 5th 5 minute bar would have been a fair bit lower than the 4th but I didn't pay attention to how many minutes had gone by since bar #4 popped up

This 6 mile round trip cost me .2 MPG when the tank already had 272 miles on it. I'm hoping the block heater I installed today will improve those first two 5 minute bars.

As you can see, IF you have a downhill trip, you can make that mile without using the ICE nor dragging the battery down too much. If it is all dead flat, I wouldn't do it, not even a mile with no stops, unless you start with 8 green bars, and even then make sure you can do it with at least 4 blue remaining.

I didn't check where you live prior to responding. For a mile, I would ride a bicycle :) Of course you might have to travel a death defying road at rush hour. Not so appealing then!!

13. o2cool

o2cool o2cool

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000 @ Sep 9 2007, 02:42 PM) [snapback]509664[/snapback]</div>
    I carry a very heavy laptop and a Chocolate Labrador (Coco) when I go into work, so the bike would not work very well. But, I agree with the sentiment. When the car was at the dealer, Coco and I walked to the office :)
    I average around 44 to 45 mpg in Northern California during mild weather. Last winter when it was in the 40s and 50s in the mornings, I could see that the mpg was way off. There is not enough time to heat up the interior, so if I set the heat to off, I hope to be able to EV all the way to work on those cold mornings. If I save only a few $ a month in gas, it will be worth it. Of course, we all look forward to the day when we can buy a pluggable Prius.

14. resoh02

resoh02 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Feb 9 2006, 06:34 PM) [snapback]206638[/snapback]</div>

Does any one know if this voids the warrenty on the car? and whats costal web site

15. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joker @ Sep 14 2007, 04:12 PM) [snapback]512699[/snapback]</div>
    NO it doesn't.. the circuitry is already in the cars computer, you are simply activating whats already there but not enabled here in the states by default.

If you do something wrong on the install, then thats another story I suppose.
    But its pretty simple if you just slow down and read the directions and do some searching here on the forum a bit for the tips.

16. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(o2cool @ Sep 9 2007, 07:51 PM) [snapback]509758[/snapback]</div>
    OK, so get saddlebags for the dog (and maybe a lighter laptop). Balance the computer with your lunches on the other side :) If you don't do the saddlebags, you can get a rear rack for the bike. Coco would probably love a morning run to work! Better than you carrying both the dog AND the laptop ;) He/she should be able to lope along at 7 MPH easily enough. You would be at work in less than 10 minutes and not even break a sweat.

17. o2cool

o2cool o2cool

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000 @ Sep 18 2007, 12:52 PM) [snapback]514380[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I did the install this morning on the EV switch. Except for a few scratches on my right hand from working in such tight places, it went pretty well. It took 1/2 hr, not including the time spent reading and rereading the instructions before I began. The directions have LOTS of good photos, without which, I would have been lost. It was not easy, but not that hard, even for a first timer. I have medium sized hands. Anyone with big or pudgy hands might do better letting someone else do the install.

I cruised towards my office (1.1 mi), but, to my disappointment, I was down to 2 bars on the battery half way to my office. So, the ICE started, and this means that I am unlikely to save as much gasoline as I had hoped. Most of my ATM, store, office runs are about 1 mile. I thought that the battery would carry me that far. Maybe tomorrow it will work better. The air temp was around 60F when I came in.

As for Coco, she usually runs with my wife in the morning, often before dark. My wife would not feel comfortable running without Coco. However, I do need a new bike, and I will look for one that can carry the computer comfortably, if not Coco.

Too bad the Prius is not yet pluggable. When Toyota comes out with that, the sales will skyrocket if the system is good.

18. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    o2cool, it will not work to save gas unless you can make your destination without the ICE "ever" turning on.
    By not having the engine turn on, you are not wasting energy heating it just you turn it off again.

Remember, using the gas engine to make power is never as efficient as using power made from kinetic energy.
    If the ICE has to be on anyway to perform a heavy workload, then making electicity too is pretty efficient.

The EV switch is a fun novelty to show off, unless your going for very short distances...running your batteries to the bottom just to have the ICE turn on to charge it back up is not efficient since it will keep running even while sitting still to get the batteries back up to charge.

As stated above, the only exception t that rule is maybe if you need to climb a hill or similiar anyway once the battery is low..... the ICE can do the hard work... the battery is only good for very light jobs.

Until they make a true plugin, this is all we have.

I think about one to one and a half miles is the max distance on for the batteries anyway.

If you cranked up a generator and used gas to charge your batteries so you could run a mile, you would figure out that the gas used to make that energy could have ran your more than a mile if you had just left it for the ICE to do.

When the ICE comes on for the sole purpose to charge the batteries, your basically firing up a gas generator to charge your batteries. Hopefully you get some real work done from the ICE as you do that.

19. douglas001001

douglas001001 smug doug

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    o2cool, you would be better off to use the ev switch to force ice off after stage 1 is finished. get up to speed with gas engine, then hit the ev and coast, turn ev off to accelerate, ev on to coast. This is what some do until engine temp is at stage 4 levels.