1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastal EV Mode trouble...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by homeinvader, May 15, 2006.

1. jmccord

jmccord New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmccord @ May 21 2006, 01:24 AM) [snapback]258766[/snapback]</div>
    De ja vu, it happened again! A complete repeat. My EV button has been working great, I use several times each day - no problems. Then went to see a movie, came out, followed same steps I always use to engage EV mode, and ICE came on. :(
    Curiously, the battery SOC was 7 green bars. I got the 3 beeps when trying to engage EV mode after the ICE start up, even after car was completely warmed up and at rest. Would not engage all the way home, regardless of speed, temperature, or SOC.
    Just coincidence it happened after a movie both times? :unsure:
    Probably some sort of operator error :blink:

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmccord @ Jun 3 2006, 09:17 AM) [snapback]265144[/snapback]</div>
    I've seen things like this happen every so often. I think I've encountered the 3 beeps on start-up once. That one seems weird. I've got the "finger" from the car a couple of times while driving it and after it was surely warmed up (I lack the monitoring equipment to know what state the car was in at the time). It's hard to know that's going on in the system though unless you've got the right instrumentation.

3. kevmac

kevmac New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(homeinvader @ May 15 2006, 10:04 PM) [snapback]256074[/snapback]</div>

I just installed the kit from Coastal and I can't get EV mode to engage either. I get three beeps and the message "Cannot change to EV mode now." Everything appears to be connected and the fact that it is denying me would seem to indicate that it is hooked up right. My battery is showing 6 bars so that's not it; it is denying me no matter what I try. It appears that I have the exact same issue as you do. The two beeps at startup are not a sign that EV mode is engaging; if you come up with something please post it here; I worked on that bugger for two and a half hours today in 112 degree heat; needless to say, I was not a pleasant person to be around this afternoon. I don't know what is going on; it seems that we both installed it right but it just won't work.

4. Acelin

Acelin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kevmac @ Jun 5 2006, 03:29 PM) [snapback]266280[/snapback]</div>
    My guess would be that your battery temperature is too high (from the 112 degree heat). I note that both yourself and jmccord live in warm, sunny areas. So if either of your cars had been sitting in the sun for a while I could see battery temp being an issue. OTOH, jmccord did specify that his attempt was in the evening so that does not explain his EV failure. Yours still sounds like battery temp to me.

5. kevmac

kevmac New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Acelin @ Jun 6 2006, 03:26 PM) [snapback]266849[/snapback]</div>
    After I had a chance to cool my brain off in the pool, I guessed that it was a battery temp issue; thanks for the confirmation. I got it to come on once at 5:00AM this morning so I think that it works; Unfortunately due to the heat here, I probably won't really be able to test it until late October/early November. I would have to say that if you live in Arizona, wait until the winter to install EV mode so you can test it properly.

6. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kevmac @ Jun 6 2006, 06:14 PM) [snapback]266993[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, temperature appears to be an issue. Here in So Cal, when I make an extended drive in 100+ degree temps (especially with the AC on) I can not engage EV...it always give me that "cannot engage" message. Once the car cools down, everything then works again. Must be a preventative measure to protect the Hybrid system.

7. jmccord

jmccord New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Acelin @ Jun 6 2006, 03:26 PM) [snapback]266849[/snapback]</div>
    Acelin,
    Thanks Acelin.
    Certainly food for thought. I'll try to remember to note the temperature next EV failure.
    However, my Prius actually bakes more during work in an uncovered parking lot, and haven't had any problems there. Just on two occassions - both after the movies when the temperatures have cooled a bit :huh:
    The investigation shall continue...

Oh, did I say I still love this car?

8. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kevmac @ Jun 5 2006, 06:29 PM) [snapback]266280[/snapback]</div>
    It is SO much easier the second time :) I think I took nearly an hour (in January when it warmed up to above freezing) on my car. Three tries at getting the pin all the way in, I was afraid I'd break something. Did my wife's new '06 today - 10 minutes and ready to test. Knowing what the pin should look like when it is properly inserted saved a lot of time. Basically, if you can see any of the pin, not just the wire, it isn't in far enough. Use a very small (jewelers/eyeglass) screwdriver to first push the white retaining bar forward using the little 'bump' in the slots on either side of the connector. It really does move out only that far, maybe 1/32". Then use it to push straight on top of the pin, next to the wire. Note the instructions from Coastal on pin orientation. It pushed all the way in easily this time.

I remember fighting my fingers in the tight space trying to tap the wires, especially the purple one so I did do 2 things differently this time.
    1. I removed the piston for the lower glove box from the support on the dash
    2. Since the wire bundle for the grey connector you have to work on is taped to the wire bundle on the white connector in the next block over, I pulled both
    These two changes made it SO much easier to get the connector and wires out where I could work on them comfortably and easily.

9. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Please Post the Coastal Tech EV Mod Installation Instructions

I ordered my EV mod over the weekend and I want to get familiar with the installation.

Thanks,