1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastal EV Modification Installation Idea

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by 05PriusDriver, Apr 6, 2006.

1. 05PriusDriver

05PriusDriver New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Apr 10 2006, 10:46 PM) [snapback]237863[/snapback]</div>
    I cannot give you a perfect answer. All I know is that I have been dealing with computers since about 1981. I have plugged in TENS OF THOUSANDS of hard disk drives, CD-ROM drives, floppy drives, etc. These drives all use plastic connectors with wiring for their power connection. These are very similar to what would be used for the suggested change to design of the Coastal modification.

In all of the years I have worked on computers, I never, not even once, had a connector come apart or otherwise fail. I would have to say that the wiring and related connectors are probably the least of worries for failure points. A firm connection does the trick. That is the key. The connection has to be good.

I can't imagine it being that difficult to create wire harnesses that are reliable.

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05PriusDriver @ Apr 12 2006, 09:07 AM) [snapback]238571[/snapback]</div>
    Perhaps it doesn't have to be Coastal that makes it. You make the harness with a wire coming out of pin #27 and ends with a solderless connector and sell only that. When the customer gets it, they have to remove Coastal's pin and attach that to the solderless connector. Then do the "plug & play" installation.

3. jef

jef New Member

Inglewood (Los Angeles county), California
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cdavid @ Apr 11 2006, 05:29 PM) [snapback]238297[/snapback]</div>
    That exact same thing just happened to me. They must have a quality control problem. They said they will send me a new unit tommorrow.

4. 05PriusDriver

05PriusDriver New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jef @ Apr 12 2006, 11:03 PM) [snapback]238901[/snapback]</div>
    OK, so I am not the only one. I noticed as well that when I use the EV mode, the battery indicator drops to 2 purple bars very quickly. I have not had any issues though of being in EV mode without my engaging it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Apr 12 2006, 12:44 PM) [snapback]238592[/snapback]</div>
    Ya know... that is an excellent idea. Now I have to ask the following questions. These questions are really me just thinking out loud...

1. How many EV mods does Coastal actually sell? If it is enough, then it warrants making a plug n play installation kit to sell separately.

2. How would I promote it? Coastal has been around for a while. I have not been around at all.

3. If I am going to go as far as to make the PnP installation kit, why not just make the entire kit? EV modification, PnP, and all. A one step solution.

Here are my answers.

1. I have no idea how many Coastal sells.
    2. Promotion is important, but can be easily resolved
    3. Why not?

To go one step further, I also have to ask myself if this is the line of business I want to get involved with. To be honest, I cannot really get involved with this kind of thing. I am newly disabled, and I am learning how to do a lot of things again such as standing vertically. I don't know that I would have the patience to start production of such a thing.

I think, that the best thing for me would be to do just what I did. I made the suggestion for Coastal or anyone else that wants to run with it. If someone wants to run with it and make a boat load of money, I just ask that they recognize the fact that I came up with the idea and treat me fairly.

In a way, if someone were to take the ball and run with my idea, it would be cool to get a credit for that.

Also, how long will it last? Toyota will eventually include the EV mod in the cars, and/or offer it as an installable item that will not leave a warranty question.

So many things to consider, such a short time to live.