1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastal Tech Charges You For What They Don't Have

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Joekc, Jul 2, 2008.

1. MagneticGrayIndy

MagneticGrayIndy 06Prius;94M Miata;65Rambler770

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    2] Their e-mail support is nonexistent, however, calling the non free # has worked every time. I've even received 2 voice mails from CT answering my Q's.

You're lucky.. I've tried calling both toll and non toll numbers.. have left messages on both.. no return call ever.

2. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Mods: Can I suggest something to save bandwidth? Every one of these Coastal or PriusChat Store threads devolves into the same thing....several pages of one camp posting their negative experiences and one camp posting their positives, with generally the same people involved. Why not open up a vendor feedback forum and requires these type of posts to be made there? That way "victims" whose credit cards were charged too soon, whose parts were back ordered, whose e-mails were ignored or who received the wrong color Sharkfin have a place to vent (read: whine and complain). You could dedicate one thread to each vendor or perhaps one positive and one negative thread to each major vendor.

3. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Read: warn others

If a company just plain lies to you, why would you charactarize my response to them as whining and complaining?

But I agree with you about a separate forum for vendor feedback.

4. skguh

skguh Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yep. What this place needs is another forum.

5. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I had the same experience. no reply to the email... so I would think twice about giving them my money

6. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I agree, a vendor rating thread is a great idea.

I disagree CT consciously lied about inventory/billing - who are they anchoring you from going to instead?

I also did not receive an e-mail reply, so I persisted and called the listed number where I spoke with Kelly at CT. Now I'm the happy owner of several CT products!
    Your principles keep you gadget free while you wait. My persistence and understanding the way they work keeps me gadget happy!

So they have bad customer service. Just get your gadgets and get over it, or be gadget lonely till a better Co. finally shows up, if they do. It's not a crisis, it's bad customer service and an inventory mix up. -kinda like that angry soup guy on Sienfeld :)

7. joel7269

joel7269 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I really wanted to order some parts from this company but heard all the bad press. Funny thing is I don't have the car yet so I thought I'd order the parts and if it takes a few weeks to get fine I'm still waiting on the car.

I placed an order with them on Sunday and today Monday I got the shipping tracking number and should have it mid week. Better then I could of hoped for.

8. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Only the bad CT experiences get their own threads. Like they say, dissatisfied customers tell more people than satisfied customers. Although it may seem like they get 'all the bad press', remember, there's hundreds or even thousands of perfectly satisfied CT customers for each bad review.
    To NEVER do business with them because of no e-mail reply or an inventory mix up seems a bit over the top. It's not choosing the next mayor, it's buying some cool components from techies running their own business.

9. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm not sure what "anchoring" means here, but assuming you mean preventing, that would be Factory Interactive, who I ordered the same item from today and they shipped TODAY. I would have ordered from them in the first place, but they were shut down for a week for vacation and I did need the radio for a trip. I didn't get to use it on the trip of course, but at least Factory Interactive told me they wouldn't be able to ship for a week. That's the difference. For those of you who wish to enable bad behavior of CT, I could care less. It's your money (and time).

10. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, I got the same thing. They sent me a tracking # for a product they didn't even have. So it doesn't neccessarily mean your order has shipped.

My main gripe was charging my credit card when they didn't even have the item, an issue which has been ignored by the CT apologists in this thread (not you). I hope your order has indeed shipped, but having a tracking # means nothing until UPS actually picks it up and logs it in.

11. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, prevent is a better term in that context than anchor.

CT sets up the tracking number first then a few days(or sooner short of the odd mix up) UPS scans your package.

Your not giving CT the benefit of the doubt. Why don't you think it was just a matter of CT's left hand not communicating with the right hand, and your CC charge w/out inventory was a mistake?

I had no idea of Factory Interactive!
    Now these guys know how to do it:
    "We love to help our customers. Have questions?
    Email us at [email protected]
    "

Look out CT!!!! :)

12. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you re-read my original post, I think I did give them the benefit of the doubt. But let's assume they made an "honest" mistake. They had plenty of opportunity to communicate with me and make it right. They never did this, and even when I finally got them to cancel they order, they took no responsibility, but rather blamed their sloppy work on Toyota.

Now let's compare. I originally ordered from Jon at Factory Interactive. He was out of town on vacation, but still checked his email (imagine that) and immediately got back to me saying they would not be able to ship until the following week. I asked him to cancel my order since I needed it immediately for a trip. He emailed me back thanking me for my order and telling me he still wanted my business should I not be able to get my radio elsewhere. (Prescient, huh?)

Of course mistakes happen and I would usually not post a complaint about a company based on a single experience I had. But when dozens of other people's experiences are the same as mine, then that's not an accident, but an "on purpose." CT can make a concientious effort to take care of their customers or they can abuse them and wonder why their business doesn't grow. Benefit of the doubt? From what I've read here, they're way past that.

13. joel7269

joel7269 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Somethings coming.....

Package Progress

Location Date Local Time Description
    JACKSONVILLE,FL, US 07/08/2008 3:53 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN 07/08/2008 12:32 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN MELBOURNE,
    FL, US 07/07/2008 7:29 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN 07/07/2008 6:41 P.M. PICKUP SCAN
    US 07/07/2008 9:15 A.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

14. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That practice is perhaps illegal, and without question unethical. :( I find it difficult to reward such behavior regardless of the product.

... Brad

15. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That is awesome customer service! Love when I see that effort!

Very good point! Some other company could bump them out of the picture if only there was one with the service like Jon's Co.!

16. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    This thread is kinda interesting.

I've ordered from them in the past and they never charged until they shipped. Now, I ordered the Auto-Lock and NAV override (early version of Lockpick) back in April '05. I didn't get the lock until September '05 and the override until January '06. I expected the override to take time, but the lock kit was another matter. I called them in July and they said they'd check, but I really didn't get results until I complained in a Yahoo group. Then they said they were trying to get through to me, but I had my spam filter too high.

On the other hand, I ordered the EV mod in February '06 and got it a little more than a week later.

Before I even had a Prius I was on a Yahoo list and someone announced that the Coastal site was gone (it was for 3 days). I said that I had dealt with a company that took orders (and your money) and didn't ship and I would be reluctant to order until they were shipping. Boy, I was blasted. I was blamed for trying to destroy a nice mom and pop business. Another said, that since I was a newbie, I didn't realize that if the Prius community was a real community, Coastal Dave would be mayor. I even got blasted by Coastal Dave himself.

17. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    OUCH. Careful, I've heard rumors they've banned people from ordering due to forums bashing. :)

18. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Since they seldom seem to know who their customers are or what they've ordered, it sounds like an empty "threat."

That said, I don't really wish them ill. My hope is that threads like these will help such companies realize that if you treat customers badly in the Internet age, it will come back on you quickly.

I've worked retail and it's not easy. But it's a lot easier if you treat a customer the way you would like to be treated yourself. Why is that so hard I wonder?

19. nyty-nyt

nyty-nyt Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I wanted to buy an EV mod from them. The order process lists a hundred countries, lets you input your credit card, then denies your order.
    They sent me a reply to an email that they don't ship outside the US, don't take out of country orders or accept non-US credit cards.
    This is a first for me.

20. max9952001

max9952001 Plugging In

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am sorry to hear about the bad experience. I ordered an EV switch, mud flaps and auto door switch and had a great experience with quick shipping. I got to them from a recomendation from a close personal friend who ordered for his prius and had a good experience. I also thought their documentation for install was very good.