1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastal Tech EV Install Help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by kent1915, Oct 11, 2005.

1. kent1915

kent1915 New Member

I got the part from Coastal Tech and am wanting to install. The instructions look easy to follow, but I have one hang up. The car still smells new (got it 1 week ago tonight) and I don't want to "hurt" it. I need to figure how to get the plastic block off under the side trim to get the trim off. How do you get the hooks to release without breaking something? Thanks in advance.

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It really is easy to take apart the dash. I was very afraid of that part but had more problems with the electrical piece. Make sure you get the pin into the plug far enough. The dash is a piece of cake.

3. dreichla

dreichla New Member

hdrygas is correct - it just takes a little back and forth, up and down "giggling" to get the dash apart. Once the plastic clips let go, the dash components come out easily. Putting it back together is a snap (pun intended).

Just don't force anything and you should be fine.

For the pin insertion, I used a jewelers screwdriver. The wire connections start to get crowded after you've installed a couple of Dave's devices.

Good luck.

4. Caravelle

Caravelle New Member

Don't expect much range in EV mode. Nice for the wow factor when others are in the car, but getting much over a mile in EV mode means level roads and easy does it on the pedal.

Took a few minutes to install the Coastal kit. Had one problem. One of the wire connectors did not make a connection. Fortunately they sent an extra. Be careful with your hands. The cuts on mine tell me there are sharp edges near the plug that is removed.

I find the EV mode works well for initial acceleration from stops, but the battery doesn't have enough reserve for more than a small hill. Mpg improvement so far is about 5%.

5. kent1915

kent1915 New Member

I am starting to think I am too impared to own my Prius! Or at least the mod. Okay, after following the "gently wiggle it til it comes out" (the plastic block at the bottom I mean...) it doesn't come out. How do I release the clips on the inside back of the plastic block to start disassembly by the glove compartment and the ac vent?

6. thundermustard

thundermustard New Member

If you are talking about step one, removing the small beige piece at the bottom you must be not using enough force because it came out easily for me.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you read the instructions for installing the EV button here on this site?
    http://priuschat.com/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=5

Is this the piece you're having trouble with?
    http://www.priuschat.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=215

Once you have the glove box off it should be fairly easy to grab and pull out. You won't break anything, just use some direct force to pull it straight back.

8. kent1915

kent1915 New Member

Thank you to you both. That is the piece in question. I must not have been using enough force. Will try again, just dont want to break it and have to go in and say; umm, I broke it, can I have another piece? Will try again. Thanks.

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I don't know about that Evan. I ended up breaking the release tab on the plug, and I wasn't pressing hard. It's still possible for me to get the connector off, but much trickier now, as all I have is a stub for the lock release.

Oh never mind, you all are talking about the pin lock and not the connector lock.