1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastal Tech Ultimate Lockpick3 for 2006-2007 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by csciguy, Dec 13, 2006.

1. CapeCod

CapeCod New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pre-cbs @ Dec 24 2006, 04:30 PM) [snapback]366364[/snapback]</div>
    The VS755 looks like it grew in the dash :) it is perfect!

There is a panel that covers the pocket that is there now, the DVD player fits through the opening (the pocket mounts to the back of it). I did have to file the opening a little bit bigger for the DVD player to pop through.

I am very happy with the 755. I bought it at Tweeter for $150

Merry Christmas!

CapeCod

2. pre-cbs

pre-cbs New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CapeCod @ Dec 25 2006, 06:15 AM) [snapback]366487[/snapback]</div>
    Cool, if you can I'd love to see a pic.

3. bugmenot

bugmenot New Member

I'm confused what the basic package does compared with what the full package does. The full package indicates address entry at anytime. How does that differ from the basic kit?

4. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pre-cbs @ Dec 25 2006, 08:24 AM) [snapback]366506[/snapback]</div>
    I believe that there are 3 componets:

1) Address overide (goes under front seat)
    2) Bluetooth override/video input control (goes behind MFD)
    3) Video input cables (attaches behind MFD)

If you get the basic unit ($99), you get just #1
    If you get the $229 unit, you get just number #2 and #3
    If you get the full unit ($299), you cet all 3.

/Jim

5. bbartel

bbartel New Member

I just installed the first part of the $299 kit under the driver's seat, and there is no difference, no bullseye icon when in motion, no ability to enter destinations - nothing.

To add insult to injury, CostalTech's office is closed this week.

<sigh>

Bruce

6. bugmenot

bugmenot New Member

Bruce, you'll have to keep me updated on if your issue is fixed. I only really care about the nav input while in motion.

7. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bruce B @ Dec 26 2006, 02:31 AM) [snapback]366635[/snapback]</div>
    Bruce,

Check your wires and give it some time to "kick in" (it may take a start or two). Mine didn't work at first, but now works great.

8. ronlprius

ronlprius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bruce B @ Dec 26 2006, 12:31 AM) [snapback]366635[/snapback]</div>
    According to Coastal, you need to install both parts (under the seat and behind the display). They talk to each other...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrg @ Dec 17 2006, 08:17 AM) [snapback]363377[/snapback]</div>
    The local Toyota dealer has had my Sigma mirrors for about a month. The instructions are in Japanese and the wires are all black. They have no idea how to install it. If you can figure it out, let me know!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doutt It @ Dec 17 2006, 12:04 AM) [snapback]363324[/snapback]</div>
    The car is in pieces at the moment with DICE and Lockpick III connected but not quite working. The iPod info (artist/title/album/play/pause) is displayed on the MFD but there is no sound - and the volume is turned up. If I plug an AV cable into the top of the iPod and switch to DVD on the Lockpick, I am not seeing any video I can't tell you if I am getting audio or not. I didn't connect the Lockpick's RCA jacks to the radio since all I want is DICE audio - and the Lockpick states that it just parallels the audio inputs anyway.

I even disconnected the Lockpick and I am STILL not getting any audio. Any ideas here?

Ron

9. mrg

mrg Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ron L. @ Dec 26 2006, 05:52 PM) [snapback]366900[/snapback]</div>
    Ron, you need to read the other treads on Signal Mirror installation. Scroll to the bottom of the page. There is a Forum button (drop down menu) Look under Forums for Prius Modifications. Scroll to signal mirror modifications. Doc also has a link to his installing the Sigma Signal Mirrors which includes pictures. You will have to modify the wiring. My mirrors still have not come in. They should be in any day now.

10. bhenner

bhenner New Member

Has anyone tried hooking up a laptop to the lockpick3? I was thinking about just taking a laptop I have that has a bum screen and just getting an s-video to rca converter. Load all my movies on to the laptop and be good to go. I don't like having to fool w/ dvds. It would also be cool if CoastalTech made a function on the lockpick to use the MFD touchscreen as an input device for a computer. Probably not much demand for that sorta thing I guess.

11. PriusDad

PriusDad New Member

A question for those of you who have installed the Lockpick 3...

When you enable either destination input override or phone input override, does the map continue to update as you drive? And do the wheels/bars in the info screen continue to update as you drive?

I'm trying to decide if the Lockpick 3 for 2006 does its thing like the "car is not moving" switch hack that has been discussed in other threads. If it is, then I may decide to not get a Lockpick 3 after all, as the "car is not moving" switch hack messes up the MPG display and also prevents the NAV system from using "dead-reckoning" to update your position on the map.

Thanks for the clarification,

Peter

12. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusDad @ Dec 28 2006, 06:20 PM) [snapback]367847[/snapback]</div>
    I have the lockpick 2 for my '05. the bars on the MPG screen are not there when the DVD is running, otherwise all other items appear to work fine. Nothing is lost or missing except the bars. The calc of average MPG continues.

13. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusDad @ Dec 28 2006, 05:20 PM) [snapback]367847[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Grahn @ Dec 28 2006, 06:08 PM) [snapback]367873[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sure the lockpick 3 works different on the '06 than it does on '04-'05 or the lockpick 2 would work on the '06, which it doesn't. I also would like to know if the lockpick 3 affects anything else while in use...

14. bbartel

bbartel New Member

Here's my experience so far:

I purchased the $299 Ultimate Lockpick 3 for my 2006 Prius. I REALLY wanted the NAV override. An example of my frustration with Toyota came up yesterday. My daughter became quite ill near Santa Rosa, CA, and I needed to take her to Kaiser ER. Because I was already in motion, I selected the "Emergency" button, and it would only display the nearest hospital - one which I did not want. There was no way to get the information to Kaiser or any other hospital while in motion. She is fine, but I was mad as a hen at Toyota for trying to "protect" me and my family. NOT !!!

When my three envelope purchase arrived, I first installed the 'under seat' portion. It did nothing. This is contrary to others who installed only this piece, it did nothing at all. The directions called it the 'basic' component, and said it would unlock the NAV and kill the "I Agree". Again, it did nothing.

I installed the rest of the components today. It took me about 2 hours. Some of it was not pretty. For example, parts of the display are sharp, and I managed to scratch the top of the dash. I recommend putting down a towel to protect it.

The directions were OK, but it took much more force to remove parts of the dash than I was expecting. I did find it necessary to remove the radio to hook up the audio, but it wasn't too bad. A long (8") extension for the 10 mm socket wrench helped.

The directions aren't clear about what to do with the audio and video inputs. I went to Radio Shack and got some extensions before I closed up the dash. I haven't decided where to put them yet.

The good news: The "I Agree" button displays for a few seconds, and goes away. I can use my phone from the display, and while it's being used, the navigation continues to track my location including turns. I forgot to check if I can get FM radio messages while in motion. The voice recognition does not recognize "DVD", but it can be selected by the wheel "Mode" switch. The audio and video both work, which is a 'gee-whiz' feature, but I'm not sure how I'll use it since it's illegal (and stupid) to use it while the car is in motion since it can be readily seen by the driver, and would be very distracting.

The bad news: The NAV override still does not work. No red bullseye icon to be seen. I scratched my dash, spent two hours I wish I hadn't, and perhaps I voided some portion of my extended warrantee (if the display should fail, I'd have to take the car apart again to remove the cables before getting it serviced).

I think if I had it to do all over again, I'd buy the $99 basic under-the-seat NAV and "I agree" override, and just dial from the phone in my pocket the few times I'll need it.

Coastal Tech is closed for the holidays, so I can't get any information on a replacement for the NAV portion.

Bruce

15. CapeCod

CapeCod New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bruce B @ Dec 30 2006, 12:29 AM) [snapback]368516[/snapback]</div>
    Bruce,

It sounds like you have everything in and working. It is not a red bullseye that you are looking for! Open up the "destination" screen, if you are moving there will be some of it greyed out. There is an icon in the top left that looks kind of like a big thumb tack...it is kind of like a circle with an arrow on part of it and it is all white in color. Press this "button"-there is no beep or comfirmation that you pressed the right thing. This should unlock your abilty to input address info.

I did the same thing that you did (including scratching my dash!) as far as starting off with the underseat part of the lockpick. It did not fix the "I agree" part of the system but it DID allow me to input address information as listed above.

Take another look...I am writing this from memory at 7AM but it should be accurate. Let me know what happens.

Best,

CapeCod

16. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CapeCod @ Dec 30 2006, 07:05 AM) [snapback]368564[/snapback]</div>
    I had much the same experience as Cape Cod. The simple to install under-the-seat part enables the override button. It does NOT eliminate the "I Agree" - that needed the Bluetooh part behind the MFD. I expect you need both the MFD part and the under the seat part for the "I Agree" elimination. I seem to remember something to this effect from an earlier posting from someone who talked to Coastal about it.

Here's what the override "button" looks like (upper left of the display):

[attachmentid=6057]

From the instructions: "During the time that you are using the unlock function, your navigation system will pause and may require a few seconds to accurately relocate you after returning to the map. It is not recommended to perform multiple complex turns while using the unlock address feature as this will increase the time necessary for the navigation system to reposition".

If you leave the destination screen for the Map or anything else (say energy screen), the unlock is canceled and you need to push the "stickpin" again to unlock. That is probably why some people have thought it doesn't screw up dead reckoning - it does.

- Tom

Attached Files:

17. bbartel

bbartel New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom_06 @ Dec 30 2006, 10:00 AM) [snapback]368628[/snapback]</div>

Thanks Tom and Cape Cod. I do have that icon, but pressing it has no effect. The Coastal Tech web site has a video that describes a "red button" to activate the NAV override - Maybe that's for another version.

The FM stations "MSG" button is still greyed out when traveling. Does that work for either of you?

For the audio / video input, I can press the "Mode" button to get to a DVD screen, but if I use a voice command, it will not recognize "DVD", going to "CD" instead. If I use the "Mode" button to get there, and use the voice command for "Track Up" or "Track Down", I am told that these commands are not valid for the screen. The video on the Lockpick 3 page shows these voice commands should work. Using the track up / down on the steering wheel works.

Bruce

18. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Bruce:

From your description I am not convinced yet that your unit isn't working. What you need to verify is whether or not you can push the address button and activate the "enter address" portion of the destination screen WHILE YOUR CAR IS MOVING. Look carefully at the "Address" button BEFORE you hit the stick pin. It should be grayed out. Then after you hit the stick pin, the "Address" button should become active and allow you to click your finger on it. All this is after you select the Destination screen.

When you first turn your Prius on, click on the map button for the MFD. The map "I agree" button should automatically be acknowledged for you. If you had left the Prius on the Map page when you last turn off your Prius then the Map page will still be up. But this time you wont have to select the Map button. In either case, the "I agree" button will be automatically acknowledged for you.

If this is not the case make sure you have pushed both plugs until they click (under the seat). The instructions say to wait about 20 seconds for it to work properly THE FIRST TIME you start your Prius. If you didn't do this, then merely go through the process again and allow it to have the 20 to 30 seconds. You will not have any indication that it works other than the next time you start your Prius and click the Map button the "I agree" button on the screen will be automatically acknowledged and you won't have to ever click on it again.

I have a 2006 Prius and as the others have said it works fine. Try the above tips and see if that is what is going on.

Good luck.

19. bbartel

bbartel New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Dec 30 2006, 03:27 PM) [snapback]368738[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the reply.

I've tried many variations of the theme. I've disconnected and re-installed the under seat wiring kit, and am certain it is clicked in place. I see the delay as the unit restarts for the first time after connecting the wiring kit. Since I installed the in-dash components, the "I Agree" dialogue is dismissed in a few seconds. I go to the map screen if it's not there already. I press the destination button while stopped, and all icons are activated. I start in motion, and all but one (emergency) grayed out. I press the icon in the upper left corner of the destination screen, and nothing happens - all except the "Emergency" icon remain grayed out. I try pressing them anyway, and there is no response. I go back to any other screen, back to the map, press "destination", and again no response to pressing the icon or any other area of the screen other than the "Emergency" button when the vehicle is in motion.

I have not tried reinstalling the under seat kit after the in dash components have been installed - I'll try that next.

Does the FM "MSG" work for you while the vehicle is in motion? Do the voice commands work for you for the DVD mode?

Thanks!

Bruce

20. mr.thi03

mr.thi03 New Member

Just installed my Lockpick 3 on my supposedly 2006 prius...but it turns out I have a 2005 and so, NOTHING works :angry: I'm out $150 on install costs and the dealer that I bought the car new from, insured me it was 2006 model year, or Coastal Tech description of a 2006 is different from the dealers..they consider all the 2006 cars, as 2007 model year cars. Anyhow, I don't know which Lockpick I should exchange for simple audio/video functions for my video iPod? :(

Help...and thanks......mr.thi03