1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastal Tech Ultimate Lockpick3 for 2006-2007 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by csciguy, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Finally installed my kit today. Everything seems to work fine. My son enjoyed the Jelly Bellies in my abscence...

Thanks CoastalEtech!

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From the looks of it the device is doing the same thing as adding a manual switch for the overrides right? For me the price is not worth it for that.

Now here is the BIG question that hasn't been answered yet. How is the video being displayed on the screen? Is it going through the reverse camera composite connection, the navigation GVIF connection, or through some other hidden video connection? Can anyone get some good close up shots of the video portion of the device? Some close up of the circuit, connectors, and the wires?

Depending on how its getting to the screen will determine if I'm going to buy it. So far Coastal has not answerd my email about the video.

3. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Dec 30 2006, 09:49 PM) [snapback]368805[/snapback]</div>
    I just watched the demo on their site again and I noticed that they use the same screen for changing the brightness, contrast, etc. as if you were to put the car in Reverse to display the backup camera and press the "Dispay" button to change the screen settings. So, my hunch is that they are using the backup camera feed. I wonder how they got the "Check surroundings for safety" to go away? I'm just speculating here but, I wonder if they just made a plug and play kit that electronically cuts the speed sensors and splices the backup camera video feed... It sounds like it does interfere with the GPS tracking and maybe the MPG calculations or at least the bar graph?

BTW, I think the icon described as a stick-pin or thumb tack is actually a magnifying glass...

4. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Bruce:

Per your last post I am now concluding you have a bad LockPick basic. Unfortunately, I believe you will need to return it and get a replacement. Your last post was very lucid and I believe you have done absolutely everything correctly to get this modification to work. I'm sure you will enjoy getting the replacement and finally getting it to work properly.

Cheers

5. ronlprius

ronlprius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mr.thi03 @ Dec 30 2006, 06:02 PM) [snapback]368768[/snapback]</div>
    Um, really dumb question but what do the price sticker and instruction manual say about the model year? Mine both say 2006 on them.

6. momanz

momanz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mr.thi03 @ Dec 30 2006, 08:02 PM) [snapback]368768[/snapback]</div>
    If you have any doubts about your model year check your VIN number here.

7. banawalt52

banawalt52 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Dec 30 2006, 07:26 PM) [snapback]368801[/snapback]</div>
    I agree but the Jelly is in my Belly! :D Waited nearly a year for CoastalETech to come through and they have done a great job! Shame on the Toyota legal beagles who made us suffer. I wonder if they did an analysis on what the risk factor was of sitting on the side of freeway or an unfamilar city street just because the passenger cannot update the NAV while traveling down the road.

I procrastinated on intallation of the kit which I got on 23 December (very quick shipping by CoastalETech despite all the complaints last year) until after the Holidays to keep the stress levels down but as it turned out it was a two hour job that was straight forward. I read all the threads before installation as well as the CoastalETech installation directions several times as they suggest before starting. A couple of pointers from reading all the LockPick 3 threads:

1. The "I agree" override will not work in auto with only the Basic unit installed. Someone else noted this in the thread stating they called CoastalETech to confirm before they closed for the holidays. I bought the 3 part $299 Ultimate LockPick 3 kit and started with the installation of the Basic NAV unit first (under seat) since it was the simplest. Yes it allowed inputting destination changes while in motion which was a key factor in my purchase decision. I am not sure if they mate the kits when someone purchases the $299 Ultimate Kit but I suspect so as there is an option to just buy the Basic NAV kit for $99. I am sure it is an integration issue associated with the way the other features interace when the Ultimate Kit is installed. I bet if you bought only the $99 Basic Kit it would provide both Destination and "I agree" override as promised by CoastalETech's online web ad. In retrospect I would suggest that CoastalETech include the "Don't get worried" statement in their installation instructions if the purchaser buys the Ultimate Kit but installs the Basic Kit first and while testing gets nervous about the outcome.

One serious installation flaw I noted was that if you desire to save your "Previous" destinations do so before you install the Basic Kit. After installation all "Previous" will be lost. You will need to register them so they will be saved in "My Places" else if you procrastinate all will be lost. Even if you uninstall the Basic Kit, the Previous destinations will be gone. I would suggest CoastalETech place this reminder at the start of the installation for procrastinators such as myself who did not always remember to register some of my previous favorite destinations.

2) I would recommend after reading the threads that CoastalETech include a Bondo or Plastic Putty knife in their kits. They are cheap and will avoid creating the installation goofs that one might encounter if you are trying to use a metal putty knife or screw driver only to find out that you neat dashboard has installation rash (scratches). I am sure they can buy them by the gross cheap and it avoids the temptatio of the Saturday morning warrior who is reluctant to run down to Home Depot when they realize their favorite Bondo plastic knife was chewed up by the dog. I was fortunate and had a couple of different types of Tupperware tools that worked great.

3) Leverage is the key when removing the panels. Do not be impatient and use the plastic tools to slowly find that key point that helps release the friction locks or else you will break a tab. I was forturnate but perhaps that is why is took two hours rather than the one hour another person mentioned.

4) I would recommend that CoastalETech include a set of RCA extension cords (Yellow/Red/White). The Audio (Red/White) connect to the back of the radio and seem to be long enough to be routed to the bottom of the right side air vent panel (that is where I chose for access). But the Yellow Video RCA connector is hopelessly too short for future ease of access. I bought an extension cable at RadioShack and connected the three color coded, taped with black electrical tape to prevent inadvertent disconnection either during road vibration or future tugging. I routed the extension cable to my center counsel which is where my Video 80Gb IPod will be located (currently have a 4Gb Mini) once they provide an update to their new Multimedia Ipod Interface Kit ($119) to include 5th Generation. This will be so cool to be able to wathc video while waiting in the 4 hour traffic jams that are famous in SoCal or at the Border.

5) I think it would help if CoastalETech had placed labels on the three manila envelopes to describe the content (e.g. Package #1 Basic Unit - NAV, Package #2 Audio Unit, Package #3 Video Unit) and had included many more pictures (worth a thousand words) in their installation instructions. But overall they get my vote of confidences and hearty job well done. Everything works fine. OBTW; As CoastalETech suggested, I took 30 pictures during the installation depicting each step of the removal and installation. This was a best practice as it made me slow down and focus on each step a little more and made reinstallation of the dashboard a breeze.

6) The unit works as advertised, the "I agree" automatically disappears after about 3 seconds and when the Push Tack Icon (upper right hand corner of Destination Screen) is touched, the Toyota imposed "greyed out" options become lighted and available for use and the new Previous starts filling in with new destinations just I lost my old "previous" :angry: but a small price for the pleasure of the system. A little pricey but I am sure CoastalETech spent a lot of their time figuring this puzzle out and better their time than mine. Thanks CoastalETech, your so cool, keep up the good work and good ideas and Jelly Bellies!!! B)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Dec 30 2006, 07:26 PM) [snapback]368801[/snapback]</div>
    I agree but the Jelly is in my Belly! :D Waited nearly a year for CoastalETech to come through and they have done a great job! Shame on the Toyota legal beagles who made us suffer. I wonder if they did an analysis on what the risk factor was of sitting on the side of freeway or an unfamiliar city street just because the passenger cannot update the NAV while traveling down the road.

I procrastinated on installation of the kit, which I got on 23 December (very quick shipping by CoastalETech despite all the complaints last year) until after the Holidays to keep the stress levels down but as it turned out it was a two-hour job that was straightforward. I read all the threads before installation as well as the CoastalETech installation directions several times as they suggest before starting. A couple of pointers from reading all the LockPick 3 threads:

1. The "I agree" override will not work in auto with only the Basic unit installed. Someone else noted this in the thread stating they called CoastalETech to confirm before they closed for the holidays. I bought the 3 part $299 Ultimate LockPick 3 kit and started with the installation of the Basic NAV unit first (under seat) since it was the simplest. Yes it allowed inputting destination changes while in motion which was a key factor in my purchase decision. I am not sure if they mate the kits when someone purchases the $299 Ultimate Kit but I suspect so as there is an option to just buy the Basic NAV kit for $99. I am sure it is an integration issue associated with the way the other features interface when the Ultimate Kit is installed. I bet if you bought only the $99 Basic Kit it would provide both Destination and "I agree" override as promised by Coastal Tech’s online web ad. In retrospect I would suggest that CoastalETech include the "Don't get worried" statement in their installation instructions if the purchaser buys the Ultimate Kit but installs the Basic Kit first and while testing gets nervous about the outcome.

One serious installation flaw I noted was that if you desire to save your "Previous" destinations do so before you install the Basic Kit. After installation all "Previous" will be lost. You will need to register them so they will be saved in "My Places" else if you procrastinate all will be lost. Even if you uninstall the Basic Kit, the Previous destinations will be gone. I would suggest CoastalETech place this reminder at the start of the installation for procrastinators such as myself who did not always remember to register some of my previous favorite destinations.

2) I would recommend after reading the threads that CoastalETech include a Bondo or Plastic Putty knife in their kits. They are cheap and will avoid creating the installation goofs that one might encounter if you are trying to use a metal putty knife or screw driver only to find out that you neat dashboard has installation rash (scratches). I am sure they can buy them by the gross cheap and it avoids the temptation of the Saturday morning warrior who is reluctant to run down to Home Depot when they realize their favorite Bondo plastic knife was chewed up by the dog. I was fortunate and had a couple of different types of Tupperware tools that worked great.

3) Leverage is the key when removing the panels. Do not be impatient and use the plastic tools to slowly find that key point that helps release the friction locks or else you will break a tab. I was fortunate but perhaps that is why is took two hours rather than the one hour another person mentioned.

4) I would recommend that CoastalETech include a set of RCA extension cords (Yellow/Red/White). The Audio (Red/White) connect to the back of the radio and seem to be long enough to be routed to the bottom of the right side air vent panel (that is where I chose for access). But the Yellow Video RCA connector is hopelessly too short for future ease of access. I bought an extension cable at RadioShack and connected the three color-coded, taped with black electrical tape to prevent inadvertent disconnection either during road vibration or future tugging. I routed the extension cable to my center counsel which is where my Video 80Gb IPod will be located (currently have a 4Gb Mini) once they provide an update to their new Multimedia IPod Interface Kit ($119) to include 5th Generation. This will be so cool to be able to watch video while waiting in the 4 hour traffic jams that are famous in SoCal or at the Border.

5) I think it would help if CoastalETech had placed labels on the three manila envelopes to describe the content (e.g. Package #1 Basic Unit - NAV, Package #2 Audio Unit, and Package #3 Video Unit) and had included many more pictures (worth a thousand words) in their installation instructions. But overall they get my vote of confidences and hearty job well done. Everything works fine. OBTW; As CoastalETech suggested, I took 30 pictures during the installation depicting each step of the removal and installation. This was a best practice as it made me slow down and focus on each step a little more and made reinstallation of the dashboard a breeze.

6) The unit works as advertised, the "I agree" automatically disappears after about 3 seconds and when the Push Tack Icon (upper left hand corner of Destination Screen) is touched, the Toyota imposed "grayed out" options become lighted and available for use and the new Previous starts filling in with new destinations just I lost my old "previous" :angry: but a small price for the pleasure of the system. A little pricey but I am sure CoastalETech spent a lot of their time figuring this puzzle out and better their time than mine. Thanks CoastalETech, you’re so cool; keep up the good work and good ideas and Jelly Bellies!!! B)

8. kentvail

kentvail New Member

This question is for CapeCod,

I am planning on installing the Clarion VS755 in-dash DVD player too. How did you connect the power wires (the yellow and red ones)? Did you splice into the OEM Head unit connections?

Thanks,

Kent

9. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kent @ Jan 4 2007, 12:05 PM) [snapback]370710[/snapback]</div>
    Hi. Just curious. Why are some of you guys planning to use an in-dash DVD player rather than, for example, a video ipod? I would think not having to use disks would be more convenient.

Thanks,

Alric

10. CapeCod

CapeCod New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kent @ Jan 4 2007, 11:05 AM) [snapback]370710[/snapback]</div>
    I did tap off of the wires going to the factory headunit. There was a ground, constant power and switched power. I used a multimeter to determine what was what and soldered the new wires in.

I decided to use a DVD player since it looks amazing in the dash since there was a factory spot for it. I love installing aftermarket devices in a way that they look like they belong there. The Clarion has front inputs so I can always plug my ipod in if needed.

Best,

CapeCod

11. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CapeCod @ Jan 4 2007, 12:01 PM) [snapback]370732[/snapback]</div>
    Where is there a spot for this? Did you have to remove the stock CD player? I rather like the stock CD player, it has the traditional rotary volume control which I use all the time rather than the push button volume on the steering wheel.

Dave

12. CapeCod

CapeCod New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Jan 4 2007, 12:29 PM) [snapback]370745[/snapback]</div>
    The fur lined pocket that is just under the factory radio is a standard ISO DIN opening. It is behind the fold down panel in my 06

CapeCod

13. dbotello

dbotello Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CapeCod @ Jan 4 2007, 12:44 PM) [snapback]370794[/snapback]</div>
    Please post pictures when you can.

Thanks,

David

14. mvbenedetto

mvbenedetto New Member

I am a new 07 Prius Pkg 5 owner. I have enjoyed this site and glad to see some this great string on CoastalETech's LockPick3 plus many others.

I don't mind cracking open my Prius, but my concern is on my warranty.

I know any modification will void my a warranty, but does anyone know (or CoastalETech know) if the LockPick3 mod leaves any tracks on the DATA RECORDER or anywhere else Toyota can find? For example, are there any "seals" (i.e. brittle red paper tape or paint markers) that are broken during the install process? I would be willing to physically uninstall the hardware prior to bringing to Toyota (after a few times through I could probably get it down to 15 minutes, as my experience shows with installing/uninstalling after factory headsets).

By uninstalling the hardware, can I maintain plausible deniability or is there some hard evidence I cannot avoid?

Interested in the thoughts of those who have done the install or anyone from CoastalETech.

Cheers-

all Thumbs

15. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Thumbs @ Jan 5 2007, 08:44 PM) [snapback]371592[/snapback]</div>

The way mine is installed, it is totally reversible and, after removed, I think it would be impossible to tell anything was done/undone. My DVD player fits in the 1 DIN size area at the bottom of the stereo head unit (the storage area with the flip down cover). I kept the "box" that was in that spot and it can go back in easily. The connections for video and sound are through the Ultimate Lockpick device from Coastaletech...RCA plugs. The power comes from the 12 V socket (I pushed in the wires into the back of the socket --behind the panel--and they just pull out). In about 45 minutes (including dash removal and replacement), I can make the fact that the DVD player was there invisible.

FYI, I can say the same for the integrated XM player I installed.

16. aggreene61

aggreene61 New Member

Just got a Lockpick 3 for my 07 Prius -- and the Coastal Tech EV switch, automatic door locks, and lighter socket power modification and am looking forward to getting them installed soon. Can anyone suggest a good technician/mechanic or Prius Wonk in the New England area (near Boston is best) that I can hire to help me? I do not want to mess up this beautiful car! Thanks! :D

NOPEC

17. oneflow

oneflow New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CapeCod @ Jan 4 2007, 10:01 AM) [snapback]370732[/snapback]</div>
    I just ordered the Clarion VS755 in-dash DVD player and the Lockpick 3. What color was the ground, power and switched power wires? Does the Din size below the stereo have mounts on the side or did you have rig someting? Also and chance of getting a few pics i am planning on taking pictures during install to help everyone out. Hopefully i can have this done by mid next week.
    Thanks
    Ricky

18. CapeCod

CapeCod New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ricky Zinter @ Jan 10 2007, 07:16 PM) [snapback]373857[/snapback]</div>
    Ricky,

I am sorry that I didn't take notes durning the install. I tapped off of the radio plug but I do not recall the colors. The 755 screwed in where the existing box came out so there was no rigging of anything special. I did have to file the opening of the factory escutchen to make it fit over the clarion (very minor). I will try to get pics.

Best,

CapeCod

19. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ricky Zinter @ Jan 10 2007, 07:16 PM) [snapback]373857[/snapback]</div>
    Ricky,
    I would strongly suggest not getting power from anything other than feed going to the 12V outlet that is under the dash on the right. By doing this, you avoid a "stealth" drain on the 12 V battery. Take it from a guy who made this %$190 (new aux battery) mistake.

Good luck.

RJG

20. banawalt52

banawalt52 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NOPEC @ Jan 10 2007, 04:24 AM) [snapback]373532[/snapback]</div>

Easy install by non-techie, non-professional in San Diego. See my photos and notes at:

http://web.mac.com/banawalt52/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

I would not hire someone as CoastalETech instructions are pretty good and the task within the capability of most weekend warriors. B)