1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastaletech EV Switch Installed.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by BitShifter01, Mar 12, 2005.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, nothing like that at all. We have 'B' mode standard in the 2G prius. The EV button allows a sort of override of the 'standard' ECU controls offering the option of hard acceleration and prolonged distance in Electric mode before the ICE kicks in.

2. Hokie-Dave

Hokie-Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Gotcha. Now that I think about it that makes sense. The B mode doesn't allow the ICE to kick-in if I remember correctly. And am I correct in saying that an EV switch is NOT available for the '02? I'm assuming that in 2004 is when Toyota started making the EV mode available overseas?

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're correct, only on '04+

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

B mode should not affect when or if the ICE kicks in. Actually, it may hinder the ICE from kicking out (my experience). B mode simply uses engine braking/extended regen to produce more wheel drag. Hardly affects normal driving.

5. Hokie-Dave

Hokie-Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the info Evan and Dan.

6. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Other then showing off EV mode, to run in stealth mode, does this switch really produce tangible MPG savings ??

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just use it to run to the car wash bay in my apartment complex and back. It's a one-block drive and I don't see the point of warming up the engine for less than a 30 second drive. When overused, the EV switch can actually decrease your mpg.

8. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Thanks, for now I am just looking at all this., seems the EV mod is really a minor MPG getter under the right conditions, at best. I am conservative, got the car for one thing, to save operating costs, MPG, not really to save the world, just to sock it to the Arabs, OPEC and the Corps. that seem to really be screwing not only the USA but the rest of the world. Got two boys serving, both in the Iraq thing and for what ?/ so I can pay close to $50 to fill up and go about 250 miles...this got old and I got tired quick, my answer = Prius, sorry the US auto makers can't come up with a decent car that gets 50 MPG.. The only reason to me if any to do all this is to just use less, that way WE the U.S. can tell some of these "countries" to just choke on their "black gold". ANYWAY.,... ev switch is it a major MPG producer????...seems like NO>

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, if you don't think you'll need it, and sounds like for your purposes you really won't use it... then I'd say don't bother spending the money. It's not going to dramatically increase your MPGs and help you to say "screw you" to OPEC any more than you already are.

We got it because my husband likes to play with cars. He does it for a living.

Best of luck to your kids in Iraq. May they and the rest of our troops come home safely and soon!

10. BitShifter01

BitShifter01 New Member

From what it sounds like your needs are for, the EV switch really wouldn't help much. I use it if I'm backing out of the driveway to park the car, short trips, showing off to my friends, and also pulling into work in EV mode to see how many people I can take out :).. Just kidding.

Best of luck to you for whatever decision you make. And God Bless the USA! It's people like your sons that allow us to have our freedom. May they come home soon and safely!
    Regards,
    Ryan
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IALTMANN\";p=\"100253)</div>

11. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Thank you both Bitshifter01 and Galaxee, for the sentiments and support of the troops. It is hard to figure it all out. I am a Vietman vet, but was on a carrier flying SAR helo's., really did not see or get shot at too often. My two are Army and Marines on the ground, and have and will have action. In terms of the car, I plan to rely on the clever and smart technology, like Toyota says just drive it. Got better mileage the first time out then ever I have before. It sounded like and sounds like Toyota has it together, hee in Texas in summer (93-100 deg F outside) with AC and short trips, will likely get 40-42-45 MPG, things will pick up in the fall and spring, and in winter may get less too. I am happy with that, coming from 14.5 - 15 MPG in town, and 19-20 MPG highway, on an Explorer Sport coming down for mileage from an F-150 before that! I hated buying a foreign car, and really looked to the US mfgs for an answer, but found none. This car is big enough, smooth and versatile and also reasonable in cost. The Honda's were too small, the others offered modest mileage gains for subtantially more money. Down here people are looking at cost, one teacher at work who commutes 50-60 miles each way for work, was in a lincoln (a smaller model), she traded in and her payments were paid for by the GAS savings from the Prius! Another after having it 1 month, took it in and told the dealer to fix the gas gauge, she had not put gas in and there was still 1/4 of a tank left...the dealer checking it out explained to her, that in 1 month she had driven 375 miles and the gauge was right! Our local dealer can't keep them on the lot!

Anyway thank you for the good wishes and concern for my boys, they'll be fine..and I thank them always. No matter what the politics, it is young men on the line for us back here, to have what we have, to say what we can say, and for this country..the best in the world today..and I have been around and travelled alot, there is no comparison believe me.

Thank you again
    regards
    Immanuel 2005, Silver, #3 ??(modified no smart key :cry: :cry: ) but still happy about the good price I paid for the car ($24059-out the door-trade in!! and it was a good deal) :D :D

12. kellymatt

kellymatt New Member

BE CAREFULL 2005 GUYS, I was looking at this also, to do the install. I was reading in the manual, the 2005 model is setup/has a BLACK BOX data recorder. It susposed to cover everything dealing with the car for safety but it monitors all. It's this sort of thing covered under ivasion of privacy.

13. azemission

azemission New Member

I would be nice to have EV mode but is there a way to CHARGE the car in the garage? Is there a solution to this or maybe a good research project.

Dean

14. azemission

azemission New Member

I know that... :wink: If someone can devise a mod to charge at home.

15. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which piece of which manual are you referring to?
    The "operation history data" is fairly clearly documented
    in the repair manual, and covers various overtemp conditions as
    well as bonehead-maneuvers like shifting into reverse when
    going too fast forward and vice versa. It also covers
    some stuff that's completely irrelevant, such as how
    much you're using neutral. But basically it's a means for a
    tech to see if the drivetrain has suffered extreme conditions at
    some point -- useful if diagnosing problems.
    There's also EDR functionality for logging five or so seconds of
    data leading up to and through a crash -- this is starting
    to show up in many cars, not just Prius. Pulling/resetting
    that stuff is *not* documented in the manual or even really mentioned,
    but googling around for "event data recorder" gets
    you some better answers. This is the stuff that the insurance
    companies all want, of course. The EDR functionality
    is mostly likely in the airbag ECU or the brake ECU; nobody' sure yet.
    But at this point it seems highly unlikely that EV-switch
    events are of any interest to be logged.
    Tinfoil hat firmly in place,
    _H*

16. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I have not seen anything in the repair or owners manual stating 'bonehead maneuvers' are recorded. Where in the repair manual does it state that?

Now it is mentioned that freezframe data is stored when a DTC is set, in order to facilitate diagnosing problems, and a few seconds of freezeframe data is stored when airbags are deployed (which itself is a DTC), but that's all I am aware of. Some consider that blackbox information, and so the disclaimer. The disclaimer is so broadly written, that it can cover 5 seconds of conditions during an error, to an entire driving history of a car.

17. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    '04 repair manual, page [or section, not sure] 05-426,
    Diagnostics: Hybrid Control System: Operation History Data
    ileaf/04toyrm/04toypdf/04rmsour/2004/04priusf/05/21bpm/ciope.pdf
    _H*

18. BitShifter01

BitShifter01 New Member

Dayum!!! Talk about hijacking my thread! Thanks guys :). Just kidding. I had food to eat today.