1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

coasting in neutral

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by Manura, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Manura

Manura Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    Is putting the vehicle neutral during ev under 60km/h cause problems to engine or transaxal. I understand the risks such as loss of regenerative braking and poor vehicle control.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you're fine, keeping it under 60.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No electricity is generated in N so you are always draining the Hybrid battery. This is never a good MPG strategy. Unlike most cars, nothing is disconnected in N, you are still in gear and everything rotates just like D or R, just no electricity is applied or generated.

There are risks to Motor/Generator1 in Gen 1 and Gen 2 Prius near 40 MPH, these are reduced in Gen3, v, c and PHV.

4. Manura

Manura Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply, I thought putting the vehicle to neutral would save fuel as indicators do not show any power flow to motor or battery (In the case of glide in pulse and glide method). I noticed that It is also difficult to achieve this without putting the vehicle to Neutral in Prius C.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Neutral coasting will not damage the engine or transaxle.....

...presuming you do not lose control, which might damage you and the car....but you said that you already know about that part.

Neutral Coasting is illegal in most parts of the world.
    It's not smart and it's somewhat irresponsible---- but you might save a slight bit of fuel.
    With Prisues, it's the same thing without the slight savings in fuel.

Galle, Sri Lanka?
    I've never been to that part of the world, and I'm not sure about the laws there.

upload_2015-4-15_9-26-48.jpeg

Good Luck!!

6. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Coasting in N accomplishes NOTHING useful. It actually defeats part of the ECO programming.

If you are coasting in gear and the engine is also running, there is a reason for that other than propelling the car down the road.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In Gen 1 and Gen 2, you should not gain speed past 40 MPH while the engine is off in N (65 kph)
    With the Gen 3, v, c, and PHV, you should not gain speed past 62 MPH (100 kpm) with the engine off in N which is much more unlikely.

You will recover no energy in N, so anytime you could have, is MPG lost.

8. Manura

Manura Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, this clears lot of things and i have noticed slight improvement in KM/L, But it is very slight and not worth the risk.

By the way, In Galle is a tourist attraction in Sri Lanka due to Old dutch fort. In Sri Lanka Vehicle tax is 200% for Normal and 92% for hybrids and 5% for electric. So everybody is buying Hybrids.

ETC(SS) likes this.