1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cod fishing - for real - planned for next week!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by OceanEyes, Feb 24, 2013.

1. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Crossing one of those bucket list to-do things off the list - I have wanted to go cod fishing for a number of years now (done January to April, usually in cold, nasty weather, in the ocean:D ) for some years now - am finally going next Saturday with my new friend, who booked the trip this morning... the boat leaves the dock at 3AM and does not return until 3PM... sounds like absolute heaven to me being on a fishing boat in a cranky, cold ocean fishing for large fish with a friend who shares the same love of being outdoors!

He asked what I am wearing - I have to contemplate that thought for a bit further as I overheat easily if "overdressed" - in my office I have been "accused" of dressing like it was summer but 67 is the lowest I can get the heat down to in the office and I usually have a fan running...

I have enjoyed swimming in the ocean in January without a wet/dry suit on for protection... and have not needed a coat all but three days this winter.... :whistle: What a dilemma!

2. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know if I'd do that with a new person I was dating. Seasickness is sooo attractive. I worked on an environmental research vessel on Lake Erie one summer in the 1970s. As the lab computer guy with no computer on board, I got to do colorimetry. Heck, when working below decks in the bow on rough days, all the samples (and I) looked green.

OceanEyes likes this.
  3. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Below decks is a bad place to be - that will induce seasickness quickly.

Lake Erie can be a nasty place - I have raced on Lake Ontario and the shifty winds and the drift made for wild racing. The captain of the boat I was racing on was extreme - he liked burying the rail and squeezing every ounce of speed out of this boat. We won a lot. ;)

My date wants to do this as much as I do... he's got his captain's license.

I grew up on the water sailing and boating and like it a bit extreme... one storm I was in I was watching lightning hit the water on a ferry from Hyannis to Nantucket, six months pregnant and holding my 2 year old son and saying, "Cool!" Not everyone faired as well - the crew was passing out buckets for those who were ill from the rough ride.

Was part of a delivery team bringing a 65" sailing yacht back from Edgartown, MA in the remnants of the first Hurricane Irene (I think that was 2005)... that was a breezy racing weekend and was out on the tender all weekend - they had to cancel racing one day as it was sustained at 30 knots - I have sailed (racing on a charter) in 30 knots under a really reefed main in a pelting rain storm... I say bring it on!;)

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Since sea sickness is a non-issue I would say dress in layers. The difference in temp from 3 AM to 3 PM could be pretty drastic. This way you could add or remove as needed.

Good luck. Living on the coast I love deep sea fishing!

OceanEyes likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We went on a boat for Pacific Cod and the obvious:
    • lady stuff
    • thermal underwear
    • wool socks and deck-style shoes
    • wool shirt, pants if have 'em
    • button sweater for thermal (stowed)
    • wool scarf accessory, gloves (stowed)
    • rain suit (stowed)
    • foul weather hat
    You could call over to the docks and ask what they recommend. Have a dry change of clothes in the car.

Oh one thing more, the most attractive thing of a woman . . . her smile.

Bob Wilson

OceanEyes likes this.
  6. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The smile comes standard and is always packed. ;)

Can't do thermals - nothing like feeling like one has been stuffed into a sausage casing... even with the silk versions... Luckily Mother Nature has granted me that wonderful (not!) phenomena of "personal summer..." which is why a dive in the ocean in January was easily done twice and why I think I was steaming when I came out of the water... the plus was no "power surges" for three or four days! Gotta admit, it's a lot cheaper and healthier than meds to try to fix things....

I did upstate, rural, NYS winters in a t-shirt, hoodie, hat, gloves and jeans to 12F and was comfortable as long as I was working.

I'm thinking I will have a sail bag for layers as needed and will go with the upstate NY garb with foulies over them and my deck shoes. Staying dry is the key to comfort on the ocean in my experience... and once wet, the wind will do a lot of folks in. That and coffee and I am golden.

7. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    And now the fun part to be scheduled... since the boat leaves the dock at 3AM... the logistics of getting there!;)

Stay tuned!