1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Code for back up beep off?.

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DaisyDean, Jan 10, 2020.

1. DaisyDean

DaisyDean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The super nice guy at Kwik Kar Auto plugged in the obd to turn off the backup beep for me But then 5,000 different items came up for off/on. We looked for a good ten minutes and never could find the listing for "Reverse Beep" or "Backup Beep". Anyone have suggestions? Thank you!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    carista, or other compatible app.

is it a 2004, or gen 4? if gen 4, maybe dealer will do it for free

3. DaisyDean

DaisyDean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Oh, sorry, I thought I had posted in Gen 4. It is a 2017 and I can't stand dealers. My guy is free too.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you did, but your vehicle says 2004 :) agree on dealers

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Probably not what you want to hear:

Leave it as-is. It's a beep to remind you you're return-to-centre shifter has the car in reverse. It's not that effective, but it's just a few seconds of "annoyance". Whenever the 12 volt battery is disconnected, you'll have to redo it, if I'm not mistaken.

And my golden rule, is never let anyone that works for a company that substitutes K's for C's hook up to the OBD port.

krmcg and dig4dirt like this.
  6. jstevens44

jstevens44 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I both disagree and agree with you.
    The backup beep needs to go. I thought I could live with it and did so for about a week before it started driving me nuts. I looked up how to get rid of it and bought a Carista to remove it.

I do agree with you about trusting anyone from a place the substitutes Ks for Cs. Almost, but not quite as bad as someone who puts Xs in stuff to show how “Xtreme” they are.

Mendel Leisk and krmcg like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you don't like krispy kreme?:p

8. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    When using a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system, it’s under Customize Setting > Warning > Reverse Buzzer. The choices are Continual (the default) or Single (for one beep only).

In service publications, Toyota still describes any aural warning device as a buzzer (ブザー).

pjksr02 likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We've stayed at Krystal Kove...

The beep doesn't really work for me. More time than I care to admit I've found myself going in an "unexpected" direction. So far I've nipped it in the bud.

The old style shifters I was ok with, although there could be a bit of rose-tint memory going on.

With the Prius I need a Jimmy Stewart voice repeatedly saying "You're in reverse...".

#9 Mendel Leisk, Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  10. IamPrius

IamPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I never understood why the reverse beep bugs people so much. It's on only for a few seconds at a time.

Salamander_King and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Noise pollution always annoys me. And, in this case it insults me. I know it's in reverse. I put it there, and I see the world going past me backwards. No other car I've ever had was such a nagging nanny. I don't need the beep any more than I need the neighbor's dog barking at mosquitos or shadows (which it's been doing for the last 15 minutes). It's worse than seeing that message every time I get in the car telling me I'm an idiot who doesn't know how to start his car.

That and the fact that it masks other sounds. My wife said she wanted the beeping but couldn't tell me why. Then we got her a Prius with rear cross traffic warning. So, is it beeping because it's telling me that putting it in reverse put it in reverse or is it warning me of an oncoming car as I back out of a parking spot? She soon asked me to turn it off.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think the return-to-center joystick shifter is the culprit. Clever clever, but it does not give you feedback.

I never lost track with the old-school shifter; the physical position or whatever, kept you cognizant of what gear you were in. Muscle memory?

13. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Carista app works. Only available on the subscription-based app, so you will need to sign up for the free trial. If you like it, you can pay and keep it but if you are done with all the customization, you can cancel the subscription before the end of the free trial (30days). Or if you have an Android phone, then Prius Tweak App also does the job. However, the app is no longer listed in the Google Play store. You will have to sideload the APK file. See here Prius Tweak for Android - APK Download

All that being said, on my Prius, after turning it off, both I and my wife actually preferred the reverse beep to be kept ON. So, I switched back. The beep did not bother us that much, and it did serve the intended function of warning us that car is in reverse.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Dr Prius phone app (with OBD adapter,,Carista for one) can purportedly turn off the beep. DP does cost, but it’s not a lot, and a one-time charge.

ScanGauge II, sim story as above, purportedly because I’ve not interested myself, prefer the beep. Still not enough, lol.