1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CODE P0607- how long can I drive car until battery completely dies

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by nadiae84, Sep 29, 2014.

1. nadiae84

nadiae84 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,
    This is my first time posting here so I apologize in advance if this subject has been beat to the ground or if I'm not posting in the proper forum.
    I bought a 2007 Prius Touring with a little over 149,00 miles last month and it now just has a 150,006 miles. My previous Pirus was totaled when a careless driver rear ended me. I needed a car and found one I thought fit my budget and needs. I bought it from a person who buys Priuses at auctions and sells a couple at a time (Automix Plus in St.Pete,Fl). I test drove it briefly during the day then came back a few nights later to purchase it. Within a mile of driving, the driver headlight was flickering and the next morning the tire pressure light turned on. I filled the tires, then took it for an oil change. Light went away but came back a few days later . so I took it to Tire pLus(BIG MISTAKE) where they told me it was a wheel bearing problem and quoted me $420 which i declined because i wanted to take it to the dealership to be sure. This morning three warning lights appeared: master warning light, brake system warning light, and malfunction indicator lamp. I took it to Toyota dealership where they informed me it was CODE P0607 and i need a new battery. In all the estimate was 5999.22 (brake pads,rotors, 150k maintenance, head lights,etc. Wheel bearing is fine.). I'm a student and I just paid 6,300k for the car(prior to taxes.etc) . No way can I afford to pay another $6000. My question is what are my options? How long will the car run until it completely dies? I graduate this December so I need it to at least untill March. The person I bought the car from denies knowing anything about any problems with the battery, tires, light,break pads, etc. He told me he had been monitoring the battery and everything was in good working condition. He quoted me $1500(labor included) for a rebuilt battery with a 3 year warranty. He said he could have it installed in an hour at my apartment parking lot. I 'd rather not give him anymore of my money since i feel like he must have known about these issues and chose not to be honest when I asked about the condition of the battery and car before purchasing the car. Do I have any options at this time? Thank you.

#1 nadiae84, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! there are a number of battery options available to you. is the car running okay besides the warning lites?

#2 bisco, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
    nadiae84 likes this.
  3. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it is drive-able bring it to me for a free estimate.

I believe your code relates to HV ECU not battery.

You should not need brakes at 150k on a Prius

nadiae84 likes this.
  4. nadiae84

nadiae84 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just drove it home 30 miles and it ran great. It was getting 45mpg and the battery was charging. .All four warning lights are now gone after Toyota ran their 28 inspection.I was told that the warning lights would keep appearing until I replace the battery. I was shocked by the 6k repair quote so I'm still a little fuzzy on what the service manager told me . But if i recall correctly, he said that a block was malfunction. Is this a part that I can have replaced at another shop?
    thanks.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's a cell in your battery. how much do they want just for the battery replacement? you may want to check the 12 volt before doing anything.

6. nadiae84

nadiae84 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hybrid supply battery $3236 and hybrid vehicle control computer $780. Is it possible to just replace a cell at toyota or is that something I'll need to find a different shop? The 12v battery was checked. actual cold cranking amps:420
    factory cold cranking amps:350

7. nadiae84

nadiae84 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally, I think their estimate was outrageous. almost $800 for new front pads.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you have to find a shoppe that will do it. tampaprius above might be able to do it for you. $3200. for a battery is pretty average for a dealer. you can buy a new battery for 2k and have a local mechanic install it, or there are rebuilt packs available for 1500 or so, installed.

9. N.J.PRIUS

N.J.PRIUS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I was checking out your website Todd, I very much like what I saw. When I am in the market for a Prius, might have to make a trip down to Tampa or have you ship me a vehicle! Good luck with your endeavor! (Sorry this comment is off topic, however nadiae84 should take Todd up and at least visit for second opinion).

TampaPrius.com likes this.
  10. nadiae84

nadiae84 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will. Thanks.

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the above DTC code is correct, then the problem has nothing to do with the traction battery. The engine ECU needs to be replaced. However that P0607 code is extremely rare so make sure that in fact is the correct code.

If you want to be self-sufficient with regards to reading DTC, get MiniVCI from Amazon.com