1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Code P0a80 Long Beach lease Help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Joe88, Mar 18, 2017.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    make sure to ask for good will assistance if it isn't.

2. Observer

Observer New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Will do, i'll post an update on what happens. Thnx!

bisco likes this.
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Joe normally Certified used will not be 160k miles car, and would be 12 month warranty.
    A new Gen2 Prius was one of lowest cost, highest reliability cars ever made.
    A 160k mile used Prii is a bit of a red flag as it seems the really old used ones with probs are the ones sold. The really old used ones that are still good are still chugging with the orig owners

#23 wjtracy, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  4. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You need to verify a couple of things, First, you need a Toyota diagnosis. The red triangle is not sufficient by itself for bad battery diagnosis.

Second, you need the "in service" date, when the car was sold, and that's easy enough to find with your VIN through Toyota. I did it on their website once.

And I don't follow your math. If, as you say, a one year warranty expires in 2007, add nine more years for a ten year warranty and you get 2016. Or simply add ten to 2006.

But as mentioned, Toyota often offers some good will assistance, especially if you have a record of dealer service.

Observer likes this.
  5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, follow Bisco advice. Toyota may help. In all likelihood you're car was sold around July/Aug 2006. My 2006 was built July 2006 and we bought mid-Sept as one of the last 2006. In those days Prii were selling like hot cakes due to $3150 hybrid tax credit. The tax credit sounded good but when we did our taxes IRS took a lot of the credit back because the tax credit was an AMT stink bomb. Now the tax credits are designed to let you keep the credit.

#25 wjtracy, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Observer likes this.
  6. Observer

Observer New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thnx for the response. I now realize it could be something else and shouldn't have jumped to the worst case scenario of the traction battery being shot.

I went out today and tried to start the car. The car would not start but the red triangle was gone. I read on here somewhere that the pump just below the engine fuse box might be bad. I could feel it vibrate and fluid was circulating slowly in the bottle.

I need to get a scanner so I can stop guessing.I have been reading the forum to get an idea on which one to buy. Amazon seems to be the place to buy one but there are dozens of models Any suggestions on a specific brand and model?

Yea, I figured out my math was wrong. :)

I do have access to Dorman batteries at work so I can get one there if need be. Not sure if Exide sells them. I can also buy used ones from a place I used to work at a few years ago. They have apparently been getting a few junked Prii.

Thnx for the help, it's much appreciated.

7. Observer

Observer New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    My car was registered in July 2006. I was surprised at the quick turnaround from manufacture date to date sold/registered.

I remember reading how hard it was to get one in those days. I've never bought a new car. They depreciate too much in first year or two. That new car smell was never enough to tempt me. :)

8. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Mini VCI (<$20 from Amazon) is a good deal for a powerful scanner, coupled with an old 32-bit Win7 laptop. It's not absolutely robust and there's no manual, but eventually you can get all the codes and even do some testing with it.

Keep in mind even the newest Gen 2 batteries from salvage are eight years old. I've always considered 10 years as a good service life for any battery.

One of the members here has transplanted salvaged Gen 3 NiMH modules into a Gen 2 case and it seems to be working--that's one route I'll look into when/if needed. And I hear some dealers' parts depts are selling new batteries for around $2100. They're not too hard to install as long as you have a decent back or good help--it's over 80 pounds leaning over in the back hatch.

9. Observer

Observer New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi all, just wanted to update everyone on my car situation. I wound up buying a scanner from the local Oreillys, I will be buying the mini vc cable later when I get an older computer to run it with. Two codes that came up were 3190 dirty throttle body/weak power and 3193 fuel run out.

Well I knew that I couldn't have run out of gas since the gauge showed half a tank of gas and had shown half a tank every time I came out to fiddle with the car to try and get it to run.

So, I turned my attention to the throttle body. I removed air cleaner box, filter (dirty needs to be replaced) and looked into the throttle body. Yepp, looked kinda dirty so I sprayed throttle body spray on a rag and cleaned it as best I could. Reassembled everything and put key back in and tried to restart. It kicked over for a few seconds then stopped. I then went to the little battery in very back (replaced brand new a couple months ago) disconnected the ground cable then waited a few minutes and reconnected. Different gauge lights came on/off on again but no running engine. Noticed that fuel gauge showed blinking empty light.

I know it sometimes takes time for gauge to read correctly but figured WTH I'll push it across street and put gas in it. My brother, son and I pushed it to gas station, I put in 20 bux tried to restart it and VOILA!!!! It cranked over.

I WAS OUT OF GAS.

I guess the gas gauge had somehow gotten stuck in half full position. Car has been running great and is currently being used by my son as a camper at that Coachella thing going on this weekend.

Thnx for everyones help!

Moral of this story is BUY A SCANNER.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    keep in mind, your tank has a rubber bladder. we call it a guess gauge.

Observer likes this.