1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

code scanner-please recommend

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bmparent, May 23, 2019.

1. bmparent

bmparent Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

So the dealer want s130.00 to diagnose my car. "1 hour of labor". If I'm going to pay that much I want to be able to read the codes myself. I've seen some various rec.'s for code readers, but I'm hoping for some clarity. 'mini vci' or something? Only can use on an old windows computer?(luckily I have one!) and do I remember something about some necessary modifications to something? Is this the one that can help read the voltages of the individual cells in the HV battery? That'd be cool too.
    If someone can provide me with a link to buy it, extra credit.

2. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  3. bmparent

bmparent Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    carista is supposed to be decent, but why not just give in and get tech stream if you are gonna do some long term prius diy?

bmparent likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nothing else will give you all the codes and sub codes

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller and SFO like this.
  6. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Techstream is the exact same program that the Toyota dealer would use during the diagnostic. You could probably find a cracked version of it on the internet to see if you can install it on your laptop ahead of ordering it. ;)

And if you find a mini VCI that can program in new TPMS sensors let me know. Mine can’t do that.

7. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Techstream is the OFFICIAL diagnostic and maintenance software made for Toyota/Lexus, and used at Toyota/Lexus dealerships. Bluetooth OBD2 readers and all the various apps for smartphones/tablets are junk: LIMITED code reading ability (can't read ALL codes) and can NOT do any maintenance (bleed brakes, engine compression check, activate CHRS pump, etc). Why waste money on a toy that limits what you can read and can't do maintenance?

Get mini VCI w/ Techstream from Amazon ($25+). Doesn't matter who you buy from, as the cables likely come from the same one or two suppliers from panda land. Installation easiest on a Windows 32bit OS (XP, Vista, 7). Ask friends/family if they know someone in IT, as this person will likely have obsolete laptops laying around, and might be able to donate for free. B/C the software is hacked, recommended to install on a spare laptop; do not use this laptop for sensitive information (log in & passwords: email, bill payments, etc). This laptop is now your Toyota/Lexus diagnostic laptop. Mac install possible, you just need to search online.

Should you stop driving a Toyota/Lexus, you can easily sell your Techstream laptop set-up.

8. bmparent

bmparent Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

That's great info, thanks! Just so happens I was going to toss my nearly inoperable win 7 dinosaur yesterday and didn't . I'll keep it around. 25 bucks isn't bad. I'll give the codes a crack myself and skip the dealer. Is this mini VCI both the actual hardware to plug to my car and also the software, and are the cables you mentioned included?

9. bmparent

bmparent Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see it, it's pretty clear what it's all about when looking at the product online. Thanks exstudent. I'll probably come back and ask for advice on the codes...!

10. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The mini VCI is the piece that interfaces between the computer and the OBD2 plug in your car. It may or may not come with the software, but you can download it from online and install it.

bmparent likes this.
  11. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Amazon knock offs are of the genuine XHorse and MongoosePro cables. B/C these are knock offs, quality control is lacking. You may have to buy/return a few before you get a working cable. Some people have reported bent pins (easy fix), to a dead cable (won't work at all).

If you are able to, reformat the hard drive and do a clean install of Win7 OS, and uninstall the bloatware. You'll have a slightly faster Techstream laptop now.

bmparent likes this.