1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Codes: C1241, C1313, C2318 & ABS, VSC, (!), BRAKE lights on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by abcsoup53, Feb 22, 2018.

1. abcsoup53

abcsoup53 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I found a dead, rotting bird in my car right near the engine. I have no clue how it got there. It is totally plausible that a wire could be frayed or nibbled on. heh

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, and rodents are a huge prius problem.

3. abcsoup53

abcsoup53 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well hopefully the rodents chewed easily replaceable wire components so I don't have to replace the entire wire harness and connectors.
    Just searched the forum and I fear for my wallet.

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hope so too!

abcsoup53 likes this.
  5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hmmm. I would inspect the dead bird area. Maybe it damaged wires when it couldn't get back out. Maybe mice/rats/other creatures were nibbling on the dead bird and surrounding wires?

Hopefully splicing in new wires is all that will be required.

abcsoup53 likes this.
  6. abcsoup53

abcsoup53 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Does anyone know where the ABS ECU is located in the car?
    The BS2 connector has either failed near the ABS ECU going to the Main Relay No 2 or more near the relay (near the fuse box under the hood)
    But, I'd like to check both locations or take out the entire connector. Just don't know where the ABS ECU is in the car.

7. abcsoup53

abcsoup53 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Never mind. Found that in the repair manual. I missed it the first time.
    Duh, right?

8. John McG.

John McG. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Abcsoup53, could you please post the final outcome to fixing the c2318 code. I’m having the same problem. It’s really valuable if we all post a final message resolving the problem. Thanks.

9. abcsoup53

abcsoup53 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sorry man. There was a bad connection for me under the fuse box. No splice needed like I first thought.

Could be the same for you. Maybe not. Look through the diagrams of the links I previously attached. The BS2 connector is actually and weirdly 2 wires that go from the brake actuator to the fuse to the ECU for abs.

Hope that helps man.

10. John McG.

John McG. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply. I hope this is it. Dealer said its an HV battery but can't see how. I had bodywork done and the front fender replaced (side fender bender). They could have screwed up or loosened wiring. I'll check it out closely. Appreciate you following through on an explanation, it helps.

11. abcsoup53

abcsoup53 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    HV battery which one is that?
    If you have the same exact codes as I did then it's probably unrelated to a fender bender. Fender benders typically result in suspension issues could be wires but not usually.
    My prius wasn't in a fender bender and the BS2 wire is nowhere near any part of the fender. Beware the stealerships!
    Not sure we have the same issues in this case. Tell us your codes. I'll help as best I can.

12. John McG.

John McG. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My situation turned out to be the high voltage battery. After getting a new battery charger that would kick the AGM auxiliary batter to 13V+, the system reset, cleared these codes and popped up the infamous P0A80 code. Interestingly this code was some how depressed until the series of C codes was cleared. My guess is the bad HV battery was putting a current drain on the ECU network and popping these codes C series codes. I ran a load test on the battery and the condition was much more obvious -change the HV battery. Seems there is a best practice protocol. If the codes are low voltage related, check the auxiliary battery and that it holds a charge over 12V, then run codes again, then do what the code doc says to trace the problem, then test again. If I had simply responded to the continuing trail of C codes by replacing suspected parts, I would be broke by now, and the car would still be broken. There is a certain mojo required to accurately diagnose these gen 2 Priuses. Don't expect obvious, and don't follow codes religiously.

13. abcsoup53

abcsoup53 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sounds kind of like you harmed the battery. The first time you/the dealer ran the codes then they'd all show up when the car identified problems and/or ran into issues during the Techstream diagnostic. Especially codes related to the main battery. There's a whole Techstream section on just testing the main battery and the codes will tell when any cells are bad.
    When load testing did you remove the aux battery?
    But I hope that fixed your ride! I'd watch it closely to be sure the C codes don't come back after replacing the main battery.

14. abcsoup53

abcsoup53 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Also, invest in a Techstream. We may have had the same codes but I cleared my codes several times and only got the same codes each time.
    Don't know if you relied on a dealer or not to get the codes. But in my experience codes don't hide like that especially if you had lights on to get you to want to check the codes.

15. abcsoup53

abcsoup53 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just ran a hv check on my prius to make sure I was giving the right info. It's a complete health check.
    Was the light on the health check white or blue or some other color?
    Your check engine light would be on if your main battery was a problem. Did you have that? I didn't.
    How was your mileage? Mine was mid 40s avg.
    Did the dealer tell you this? How did you come to this conclusion? You didn't post your codes so I don't even know if we had the same exact codes. I'm worried about your load test.
    How does it drive?

Just worried for you man. The main battery doesn't even power the brake ecu if that's the ecu you mean. The 12volt does.
    It just doesn't have a way to drain the brake ecu from my knowledge. But what were your codes?

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The battery contains an ECU, though. And that one talks to the hybrid ECU. And that one talks to the brake ECU. And they gossip about the state of the battery, because the brake ECU needs to know how much regen capacity it can count on. And it can set codes depending on what gossip it hears.

Getting all the trouble codes is the main thing.

Just because one person's problem was solved by doing X, doesn't mean anybody else's problem will be solved by doing X ... everybody gets to do diagnosis. :)

-Chap

fotomoto likes this.
  17. abcsoup53

abcsoup53 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Right. Just seems unlikely especially given Techstream's dedication to main battery issues and if John McG. had the exact same codes and issues as I did with no check engine light especially.
    Also, he might've been going to the dealer for the diagnostic work and:

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I guess I never saw post #37 back in the day, but it could use some followup. Techstream is the software Toyota uses for diagnosis of their cars; it runs on a Windows laptop, connects to the car over the diagnostic port, communicates with all the ECUs in the car, and lets you see their trouble codes, real-time data, monitor test results, and conduct active tests like turning motors and valves on and off, relearning brake and skid calibrations, registering key fobs and tire sensors, and so on and on and on.

Whatever abcsoup53 might have meant by "Techstream's dedication to main battery issues" I can't even guess. It is simply the software for connecting with all the dozen or so ECUs in the car (in Gen 2; north of two dozen in Gen 3) and getting the diagnostic information you need from all of them.

19. abcsoup53

abcsoup53 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The problem was the BS2 wire. There was a short in it.

SFO and bisco like this.