1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Codes P0A60, P0A63, P0A78, POA90, P3000

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Mattclay, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Mattclay

Mattclay New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi all. I just replaced my brake actuator. I removed the inverter of course in order to accomplish this. Anyway new actuator is in and everything seems fine with that, I bled the brakes with techstream no problems. However, I now have the red triangle and check engine light on. The gas engine runs but on the display the HV battery stays at 1 or 2 bars no matter how long I idle it for, it is not charging. I can shift the car into R or D but it doesn't go anywhere. I'm getting Codes P0A60, P0A63, P0A78, POA90, P3000 on the techstream.

My first guess is there is a problem with inverter or maybe a wire/connection was damaged. It rained rather heavily several days and water got under the hood while the car sat.

The car sat for over 2 months because there was an issue with the first replacement actuator I put in the car and I had to mail it back, I was busy with other things etc so maybe the HV battery is now dead. That is my second guess.

Another possibility, unlikely though I think, is that the ground wire bolt for the 12v battery (I was disconnecting the ground wire at the car not the battery) sheared off when I tried to disconnect it so I just drilled a new hole in the car metal next to it and attached the ground wire from the 12v next to it when I put everything back together. I doubt that's the issue but throwing it out there just in case.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I don't really have the funds to take it to a shop or just start replacing HV batteries and inverters without knowing what the cause is. Thanks

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    First thing that pops in my mind is you have no P0A80, therefore don't even think about replacing or working on the HV battery right now.

Every code you have is most likely caused by a wiring issue. You missed connecting something. We just had another member with a recent similar post after doing the actuator job. He missed a cable/connector under the inverter. Found that and his problems cleared up. I would suspect you have something similar going on.

3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Double check all your connectors.
    Sometimes they can look like they are fully seated, but aren't. Generally you should hear a click sound.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Mattclay

Mattclay New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you I'll retry the connections today if the rain stops and report back.

5. Mattclay

Mattclay New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I took the inverter out and sprayed all the connections with CRC Electronic Cleaner. I then put all the connections back together as tightly as I could and reinstalled the inverter. The first time I started it a very loud sound came from under the hood so I shut the car down. Next time I started it the sound was gone so I put it into drive and reverse and it moved. I then cleared the codes again, they did not clear on their own which concerns me a little bit since I'm worried they will reappear but for now it starts up and drives with no issues or codes. Thanks a lot guys.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Are you at liberty to disclose what kind of a sound?

SFO likes this.
  7. Mattclay

Mattclay New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It was a loud growl or grinding kind of a sound. Sorry for the late reply I wound up putting the car in storage for a few months until this week, I'm going to take another stab at fixing it.

8. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A few months? Your probably gonna get a P0A80 on top of all the other codes.