1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Codes P3191 P3101 Amps codes C1521 and C1522

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Russell Walker, May 8, 2013.

1. Russell Walker

Russell Walker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I get these codes and when i click on the related code it gives a big list of details like engine tem rpm ect the only high one is Inverter temp 35o MG1 not sure what any of this has to do with it there is no error code fr battery or anything else. The problem is when I go into ready the engine runs for about 30 seconds then stops the car willrun on battery but the motor will not start again. If you put it into park and then switch off and back to ready the motor will run again for 30 seconds dosent lok like it is charging the battery when the motor is running. I will try to get the details of the list of information and post it..

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    YEA!!!!
    • P3191 - engine does not start:
      • Air induction
      • Throttle body - Cleaning Prius Throttle
      • Fuel pressure
      • Engine
      • Air flow meter
      • Out of fuel
      • Water temp. sensor
      • Crankshaft postion sensor
      • Camshaft position sensor
      • Engine Control Module
    • P3101 - engine system malfunction (redundant to above)
      • INF. code ?
        • 204 - abnormal signal from the ECM
        • 205 - ""
        • 238 - when engine does not start even though cranking
    • C1521 & C1522 - Electronic Power Steering, short circuit of motor, abnormal voltage or current
      • power steering gear
      • Electronic Motor Power Steering Electronic Control Unit (behind glove box of left-hand drive cars)
        • Check the left connect M1/M2 signal voltages at ECU
        • Check continuity of M1/M2 connector to power steering
    Obviously, let's get the engine running first. Let me suggest the old shade-tree mechanic test. After making sure the throttle body is not 'stuck' (see above) and inspecting for any obvious problems, use a squirt of 'engine starter' (available in auto parts stores) or a quick splash of petrol (white gas is even more volatile.) Then see if the engine backfires or otherwise changes its 'tone.'

What is the current traction battery voltage and the 19 module pair voltages? We don't want to run it down so much that it has no energy to turn over the engine.

What does the Aux battery voltage read?

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

3. Russell Walker

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks Bob Thee 12v is 12.6v i will put a cc
    charger on that the other is 290v. The motor does run for a few seconds under the p3191 it said engine speed 1257 rpm does this mean the big battery is ok im not sure how to read the battery module pairs ill have a look later.
    Electronic Motor Power Steering Electronic Control Unit (behind glove box of left-hand drive cars)
    • Check the left connect M1/M2 signal voltages at ECU
    • Check continuity of M1/M2 connector to power steering Nor sure what im looking for here this is right hand drive am i looking for a plug and socket... electronic motor power steering control unit will it have something marked on it it is likely to be still on the right side of the car. getting dark here ill look tomorrow. Thanks for you reply.

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Your traction battery is OK, 272V begins to get . . . curious. At 240V we start getting a little anxious. At 6V/module, the 38 modules are at a nominal "discharge" state, 228V total. You're in good shape with the 12V battery too.

Ok, now to fault-isolate the engine start problem. Start with sticky throttle as this is fairly common in high humidity areas. I had it which is why I wrote up how to clean the throttle plate. It remains something I do in the Fall before the cold weather shows up . . . hummmm is it getting cooler there?

Bob Wilson

5. Russell Walker

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Ok Bob I looked at the throttle and it seems free easy to turn wide open without any sticky places i looked down and as best i can see there isnt any oil in there i changed the oil and just filled to bellow top mark Its not to cool but i have a couple of days off so hope to get this going. I looked at the module voltages and they look good i have recorded the data but just learning how to drive tecstream so will look at getting that info out tomorrow. This car did go fine for a week after changing the big battery so i dont think the fuel is bad the car did sit for 3 or 4 months not going. Have i got it correct that the motor will stop if it sees an error code like the c1521 c1522 or is it just a motor problem it does seen to run a bit rough just before it stops. Is there a way to keep the engine running that is not get switched off by the computer if it has an error. I tried turning the aircon on full but it still stopped.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

This is such a common conceptual gotcha with the Prius that sometimes we forget to mention it. Anyway, better late than never: your engine isn't starting. A Prius starts the engine by spinning it up to roughly 1200 rpm using the traction battery and MG1. That's when most people think it "starts". If all goes well, by a few seconds later, the engine is actually running under its own power (something you can hear if listening carefully, but not something people often notice). If the engine never catches and makes enough power to run by itself within a certain timeout, the system stops spinning it, and gives you the P3191 "engine does not start" code, which means what it says. I've seen different figures for what the timeout is, and I think it was changed at least once between revisions of the ECM.

It sounds as if your is just being spun for a while, making some rough nearly-started noises, but never powering itself. Troubleshooting would check all the usual suspects for an engine that doesn't start.

I've never known a power steering code to stop the engine. At worst I'd expect it to give you no steering assistance.

Hope this helps,
    -Chap

usnavystgc likes this.
  7. Russell Walker

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The engine is starting and running for 20 second or so it will start every time i put it into ready and rufor the same amount of time then stop ill put a little bit of fuel down its thought while its going and see what it does that might tell me if its not getting fuel.

8. Russell Walker

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I know this sounds dumb but you are correct it isnt starting i put a bit of fuel down it and didnt do anything and moved the throttle and didnt do any thing sorry for the confusion it cant be fuel or it would have given a sputter so what do you think i should be looking for next.

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Spark. The crankshaft sensor is used to figure out when spark should be generated.

Bob Wilson

10. Russell Walker

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    yes I just pulled a plug and its got plenty of spark thew an other cap af fuel into it and it didnt do a thing.

11. Russell Walker

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    If it has spark does that tell me the water temp sensor crank and cam and airflow sensors should be ok I would imagine to stop the engine from starting it would switch off the spark via ecm. Fuel injectors or something but i would expect a cap or two of fuel in the air intake would get it to fire...

12. Russell Walker

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    sorry i mist a reply ok well how can i check the crank shaft sensor this is sounding harder but i have all day The spark was good and fast like you would expect at the speed it was turning over

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ok:
    • fuel - manually primed, not flooded, smell gas at exhaust pipe
    • spark - exists, need to check angle, check plugs clean/gap
    • valves/compression - something to check
    Any engine that won't run if the above three are working . . . well it has me stumped.

Bob Wilson

14. Russell Walker

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Not flooded no excess fuel smell in exhaust I threw about 20mils of fuel in the carbi would have thought it would have given a bang.. even if timing was out. The motor was running Ok last week definitely was going then I think I have found the crank sensor under neer front of motor checked plug seems clean gave it a squirt ill pull it out see if i can see its doing anything is it a switch thing in there that is operated by a magnet on the cam if so i can test if it is working Thanks for your help Bob. Ill see if i can check the compression but its a long way down to the plug hole.

15. Russell Walker

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I just pulled of the crank sensor and i
    t shows Open on a multi meter but when i move it over a magnett it produces a few milli volts so i am asuming it is working.

16. Russell Walker

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Just put in half a cup of fuel in the air intake and it has going running fine now i have cleared the codes and all are clear including the c1521 and c1522 It might be the fuel in it it has a half tank might be off ill sit running it for a while with the aircon on and that will give the batt a kick as well ill go and fill it up with good fuel one more question if it has an intermittent fulel pump would that show as a code Thanks for your help it must test your patience with dummies like me but i now know a lot more today than i did yesterday.. Thanks again..

17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Use a bigger hammer, I love it!
    Probably P3191 but nothing explicit that I know of. I could start complaining about the lack of proper engine gauges but it would only stir up the 'Amen' chorus. <grins>
    'Dummies' don't even buy, much less try to get a 10 year old, computer operated car with a huge traction battery working. 'Dummies' don't come the "House of Prius" and join our collaboration. Heck, you've already passed 95% of the car buying public and 99% of the jerks who write about cars. <grins>

Do us a favor though, and share what you've learned with the next Prius students. It is how we payback those who came before us.

Bob Wilson

18. Russell Walker

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    OK will do. Thanks for your help I am still working on the old battery and will get that going for a rainy day.