1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coffee

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Jun 3, 2022.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/epdf/10.7326/M21-2977

Conclusion:
    Moderate consumption of unsweetened and sugar-sweetened coffee was associated with lower risk for death.

I’ll drink to that.

Bob Wilson

mjoo, douglasjre and TGrracie like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hope it's true, but these studies always seem to be contradicted by future studies. nevertheless, i will continue with my daily 2 1/2 cup habit :cool:

TGrracie and srellim234 like this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Coffee was my early detection of having caught COVID.

I was feeling a little energy slump in the afternoon, not so unusual, so I put on some water for an afternoon cup.

By the time the water was hot, I was like, "when did coffee beans get this heavy?"

4. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Heard the story early today, so....I seldom drink coffee, but ended up having 2.5 cups this morning.

Went into work and co-workers were sorry I did -- the buzz turned me into "Chatty Steve" for a couple of hours. :LOL::LOL:

5. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    My two Cup/Day habit has been vindicated!!!*

*Until the next contradictory study is peer-reviewed.

TGrracie and srellim234 like this.
  6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just bought 50lb of green specialty coffee to stock up for my morning joe needs. The prices are going up everywhere. Arabica coffee hits 1-1/2 month peak on signs of tightening supply - Markets - Business Recorder

My favorite Cost Rica and Sumatra are well stocked now, won't need to buy again at least until next year. Also tried Tanzania peaberry for the first time. Very complex and flavorful, floral note with fruity overtones with dark chocolate after taste... highly recommended,

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I do enjoy the peaberry from a local roaster here.

I'm not equipped to roast my own.

Salamander_King likes this.
  8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While some fans of peaberry coffee beans say they taste better, I don't believe there is anything special about peaberry coffee beans as compared to the whole bean coming from the same coffee plant. The peaberry coffee beans just result from the "incomplete" development of smaller endosperm in the coffee fruits (coffee cherry). The coffee bean is really a coffee plant seed, usually having two halves of endosperm tissues in a single fruit. Some fruits just develop smaller rounded single endosperm which is named "peaberry" due to its appearance. But since a very small percentage of the coffee beans produced worldwide falls into this peaberry class, producers are marketing them as "special" beans. That being said, due to the smaller size and rounded shape of the bean, roasting peaberry takes some special care and attention. If done right, it results in a wonderful profile of flavors packed into a small body of beans with less surface area. Some of the best Sumatra and Hawaiian peaberry coffee beans I roasted in the past turned out to be with exquisitely complex flavors.
    https://www.seriouseats.com/wont-you-be-my-peaberry-what-are-peaberry-coffee-beans

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not all of them get contradicted, just lots of them.

If all were contradicted, then our health research would not actually be advancing and giving us improved health. But it has.

Unfortunately I can't drink enough of the stuff to be useful without getting a sour stomach. Based on the family pattern of who does and does not drink the stuff, it looks like a genetic trait.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am not sure where her peaberries come from. (I dump them out of the bags into mason jars that I evacuate as soon as I get them home.) I can check on the next supply run.

I am sipping some now, and enjoying the exquisitely complex flavors.

Salamander_King likes this.
  11. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, find out what region the beans came from, and try the regular bean from the same region next time. See if you can tell the difference. The Tanzania peaberry is very popular, but so is Hawaii. I just saw Jamaican Bluemountain peaberry roasted coffee listed at $135/lb on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Jamaica-Mountain-Peaberry-Coffee-16-ounce/dp/B012IQQ3WM/
    That link shows 16 different peaberry coffees from all over the world's coffee-growing regions. They are probably all good coffees, but I personally do not want to pay extra for a peaberry variety of coffee beans from the same region.

The coffee from Hawaii is totally different from coffee from Indonesia or Brazil. I generally don't like Kenyan coffees because of the acidity and low boldness, but I was surprised to find out that my newly tried Tanzania peaberry coffee which is grown very close to the Kenyan border has much less acidity and a very bold mouthfeel I really like. But as with any agricultural produce, even the coffees from the same region and variety of plants do not always turn out the same from lot to lot and from year to year.

I once paid a hefty price for the Jamaican Bluemountain, Hawaiian Kona, and Panamanian Geisha coffee beans just to see what all the hypes were about those three "premium" most expensive coffees of the world but did not find them to be worth the price. Very good Costa Rican beats Bluemountain any day. Well-prepared Maui and Kauai Hawaiian coffee beans cost a fraction of pure Kona beans but they are just as good. And I found Columbian and other regions have started producing Geisha variety coffee which may be more drinkable than the Panamian Geisha which I found to be very undrinkable due to its light and "tea-like" flavor profile even with dark roast.

12. What if I combine the two? :eek: :p

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  14. Well I've had to give up most coffee due to sensitivity to acidity and caffeine, but from prior days, here is what nodes I recall about the various origins:

Honduras: Citrus, black, sometimes sweet depending on the farm
    Guatemala: Mellow, slight cirtus/lemon
    Mexican: Textured lemon
    Peru: Chocolate
    Brazil peaberry: Rich cherry, fruitty
    Dominican peaberry: Strong tangerine citrus
    Ethiopia: Smooth, full, some farms like fresh baked bread
    Indonesia: Fresh chopped wood/sawdust, earthy, slight pine
    Pure Kona: Caramel, very smooth
    Blue mountain: Buttery and smooth

My guess is that the more earthy nodes are better for those who want that extra kick and the citrus more for those who want that "brighten my day" feel

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Buy the green beans and roast them to taste!

Bob Wilson

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    starbucks veranda, watered down

srellim234 likes this.
  17. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just roasted my own today's daily special blend. If any skills most home roasters, including myself, lack would be the ability to roast consistently good blended coffee. I can repeat the roast profiles and get same coffee consistently from the same lot of single origin green bean. But trying to do that with mixture of different lots of different origin beans, I always end up with different coffee. Yep, that's why I am calling it Daily Special. It will not likely to be repeatable ever again.

BTW, I used Aged Sumatra as a base and added Costa Rica, Panama, and a bit of Indian cherry robusta in this blend and roasted to City+.

#17 Salamander_King, Jun 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    bwilson4web likes this.
  18. Recommend a small home roaster?

19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I used a cheap toaster oven with temperature and timer. I ran it under the range hood on high

It is a smoky process so consider running outside.

Bob Wilson

20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I would think you want something that tumbles the beans for an even roast.