1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coffee

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Jun 3, 2022.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If I know I've touched it, I seem to do ok if I go wash the oil off with soap. Trick is knowing where it is, to get all of it.

I seem to recall someone was working on a spray or soap that would fluoresce (maybe under a UV light) where the urushiol was, and then you could more easily be rid of it before reacting.

I wonder how that's coming along. Last time I looked it up was probably the last time I evicted the poison ivy from the side yard. But it hasn't stayed evicted.

Huh ... I never knew about a connection between cashews and poison ivy. I like cashews. But I've only bought them already processed.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Quinoa is one of those normal food plants.

Thee is ivy block preventative lotion.

Bentoquatam (Topical Route) Description and Brand Names - Mayo Clinic

I just use shopping bags as gloves when I do have to yank it out.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Anacardiaceae is a frisky plant family. I say that knowing y'all set botany aside, half a lifetime before. Not your fault, well not mostly, because that subject is generally taught to memorize trivia for exams.

Botany is way more interesting than that! Plants after getting photosynthesis going, proliferated types like crazy. Plant eaters noticed those resources appearing. Plants went all 'chemical' to avoid eaters, while also developing pleasant rewards for pollinators and seed dispersers. Plants went both 'mean' and 'friendly' at the same time, and after every mass extinction, they just did those things more.

Plants have variously and fabulously decorated this planet for the last 400 million years or so. Part of that much recently impinged on humans, with some of their defensive chemicals embraced as desirable. Coffee is not alone among those embraces.

I've suffered through Botany courses, same as you.Maybe more than most of you. But that has not prevented me from seeing how great the whole picture is. I wish there were a way to spread this joy.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you have a problem with political yard signs disappearing, rub them down with poison ivy. If you are nice, leave a sprig draped over the sign. Then shower well covered with soap and wash clothes.

Bob Wilson

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    MOST HAPPILY I live in a political sign free zone.

One of the really great things about political signs is that they can be repurposed at your local gun range when the target stand backstops need to be renewed. Sometimes you don't even need to staple a target to the new backstop cover afterwards! :ROFLMAO:
    Of course, I always wait until after the election when the people put their signs out for recycling.
    Since we get about 70-90" of rain per year, I've never had to worry much about urushiol contamination.

I learned everything I needed to know about political yard signs while growing up in my beloved home state of Indiana.
    I had a relative who was a local politician. One day, vandals stomped down the signs of his political opponent in another house in the neighborhood, whereupon my uncle replaced them.

Being a child, I was somewhat surprised that he would do this, and I asked him about it, and he gave me one of my very first lessons in politics:
    "That guy is a liberal. If somebody comes through the neighborhood looking for a house to break into, those signs make for a good tie-breaker!"

Of course, I learned my VERY first political lesson, at a very young age from my dad:
    NEVER put political signs in YOUR yard. ;)

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Phillips (Saeco) has the 3200 with ordinary steam wand for $599. I got a 20% discount code bringing down cost $120 for net $480 before taxes. Free shipping, it should be here Friday.

My existing Saeco mini has been having problems and ceased working last week after six years. I may try self diagnosis and repair. If I get it working, either backup or church donation.

Bob Wilson

7. So, anyone else experience being dehydrated from too much caffeine?

8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Caffeine is a potent diuretic. Dehydration is just a side effect of its action.

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Espresso solved the going to the bathroom too often.

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    some people think of roasted coffee bean flavor as bitterness - rather than as a 'charred' flavor. Underestimating the "roasted" flavor? Many a chef has discovered the deliciousness of using coffee as a rub on one's roast ..... Beef, Pork, even chicken.

https://foodal.com/recipes/beef/coffee-rubbed-roast/

https://aboveaveragecoffee.com/coffee-meat-marinade/

Screenshot_2022-11-12-05-28-38-27_5ebe7ceed023e5c4dba122424f079699.jpg

#90 hill, Nov 12, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2022