1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cognitive study of climate denial

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Oct 21, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Rather long, 43 minutes, it helps explain what we find in the 'honorable competition.'

Bob Wilson

pilotgrrl, heiwa and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. heiwa

heiwa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thank you for posting this! I have better insight to how people think, and most importantly to me, a better understanding into my 20 yr old son's head who is intelligent but forming what appears to me an incoherent world view. This will be a source of good discussion with my son when I find a right time with him.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. heiwa

heiwa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well, he went straight to conspiracy theory. I should've expected that...

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    For Christmas, a copy of "The Prince" by Nicolo Machiavelli. Curious he doesn't see a conspiracy in the ones he follow.

Bob Wilson

pilotgrrl likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm concerned about the younger generations and consumerism.

RCO likes this.
  6. heiwa

heiwa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Bob, could you enlighten me how Machiavelli may have positive effect on my son?

Bisco, I too am concerned about our youth. But as they say (my son say to me), they/he only care about what's in it for them/him now, and do not trouble themselves with posterity. I suppose I was there too before my son was born. Isn't youth wonderful!?

RCO likes this.
  7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It depends upon whether or not your son is curious as Machiavelli translations are not trivial to read and understand. For me, Machiavelli explains the limits of conspiracies. They invariably fail because individuals will seek personal advantage by revelation of their role. This compromises the secrecy and leads to the unravelling. But I had made the assumption your son is still curious and sad to say, curiosity is not universal.

Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.
  8. heiwa

heiwa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thank you for the explanation. It sounds like Machiavellei may be a kind of challenge he may love to take on. My son IS curious and quite good at analytical thinking. But what he cannot admit to himself is that he is quite impressionable and tend to get lost in academic frame of arguments rather than the content. I've been quite impressed with what he's accomplished in his 20 years of life. Perhaps Machiavelli will break the spell...

RCO likes this.
  9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Security costs skyrocket at 'lightning rod' EPA - CNNPolitics

The Environmental Protection Agency is beefing up security measures surrounding Administrator Scott Pruitt to an unprecedented level, CNN has learned, as members of Congress are asking if the costs are a "potential waste or abuse of taxpayer dollars."

Pruitt's security detail is in the process of expanding by hiring a dozen more agents, according to a source with knowledge of the situation, as the number of threats against the agency leader increase. The incoming agents will grow the team that works in shifts to provide him around-the-clock protection, something unheard of for Pruitt's predecessors.
    . . .

One characteristic of climate deniers is a belief in conspiracies. Surrounding himself with security guards is consistent with such fears.

Another report:

Bob Wilson

RCO and heiwa like this.