1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coil resistance test (ohms)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by abubin, Aug 25, 2021.

1. abubin

abubin Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry if this question has been asked but I am unable to find the answer.

I am trying to measure my coil packs to check if it's due for replacement. Can't find what is the resistance specs for Prius coil packs. Anyone have the specifications for the range of ohms to expect from the coil plugs?

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't seen a spec mentioned for PRIUS coil packs.

The interwebs say anywhere from a half ohm to as high as 2-ohms for coil packs in general.

I use a fairly good meter (Fluke 289) and when I touch the test leads together the value fluctuates between 0.08 and 0.09-ohms.
    If your meter goes to zero and remains there with the test leads shorted, then your meter might just be rounding down values below an ohm or two... ;)
    (Fluke says a new set of test leads will typically be in the 0.1 to 0.3 ohm range)

So.
    You said coil packs
    In my experience, these usually don't fail at the same time....and for a 2012 it would be sort of unusual for them all to be not-coiling at the same time due to age.
    Coil packs are aptly named.
    There's not much to them.
    They're typically either going to be blown open, shorted, or there will be a non-zero resistance value.
    Easy way to tell if somebody isn't toting their load is to take a poll.
    Measure all 4 coil packs and see if there's an outlier.

If you're chasing a code, then you could swap the coils around, and see if the symptoms change.
    We see this a lot in the forum when the dreaded "Cylinder Miss-fire" (change owner) codes arise.
    If you ARE chasing a cylinder missfire, then you may want to (DO want to!!!) rule out a head gasket failure.

If you've changed the spark plugs recently, and you bought the replacements on-line make sure you didn't get knock-offs - especially if you got them from eBay, Amazon, etc...

Good Luck!

mjoo likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Some info in this. Plug resistance is spec'd and measured, but the coil test seems to be just good vs bad?

Attached Files:

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I guess you might be able to measure the secondary resistance, if that's what you want.

You'll never measure the primary coil resistance, because there's a whole transistorized igniter circuit inside there. You'd have to saw the thing open to get to the primary coil connection. From the accessible terminals, you can only try to "measure the resistance" of an electronic circuit.

5. abubin

abubin Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the details information on coil packs.

I was just thinking if I can measure them occasionally and change them when found it to be below specs. I guess the normal way is to wait until one of them give in then change the lot.

ASRDogman likes this.
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Even when one fails, the failures may not be so strongly correlated as to justify replacing all four. Some things just last a long long time and fail somewhat randomly, and it makes sense to replace one if it happens to fail, and deposit the price of the other three into the unplanned-maintenance fund, where it might end up getting used for something else next, instead.

Tbkilb01 likes this.