1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coils/ EGR valve

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by yeldogt, Jul 20, 2018.

1. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My post of yesterday where I said PCV valve ... had a mental moment. It's the EGR valve code that came up with the CYL misfire. Not anything to do with the PCV !

So I'm thinking maybe replace the coils/plugs and EGR valve -- clean the tube. It does not look like you can clean the cooler w/o removing it ?

Any aftermarket recommendations ? car has a lot of miles 212k. I was thinking keeping until 250k ... it's a Five in great shape

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The coolers gotta come off to ensure you get it all;).

Sounds like you pile on the miles:).

Up to 183 k miles and going strong thanks to 2 egr circuit cleanses and keeping an eye on the oil(y).

3. Shane Burns

Shane Burns Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unplug the wire from EGR value and clear the code and try again to see the code came back.

If the code came back... Cylinder misfire #2 are common symptom of blown head gasket...

4. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The code for the knock is occasional -- the EGR always comes back. I order a new OE valve from e-bay dealer for $195 ... will have my local replace and clean surrounding parts.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just the EGR valve, or the valve and cooler? The existing valve is relatively easy to clean, and the EGR can be brought back to new condition, with some patience and chemicals. See my link in your other thread.

6. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm going to have it done -- don't want to risk having the valve be a problem and having to pay full retail at the dealer. My independent let's me buy the parts as we give him a lot of business,