1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cold air in cabin from door?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by larrymagid, Dec 26, 2016.

1. larrymagid

larrymagid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just bought a brand new 2016 Prius IV. It's cold right now in California and I'm feeling cold air coming possibly from the door but not sure. The car is only about 5 days old. Turning on heat helps of course but it's still cold. Not a lot of air, but enough to be annoying. Any suggestions? Can't imagine what this must be like in Minnesota. Have a 2010 Prius and never had this problem.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe a bad weather stripping or window seal, can you pinpoint it? if not, maybe one of those infrared thingy's they use to find house leaks. either way, you're under warranty, get it taken care of.

uber2016 and RCO like this.
  3. larrymagid

larrymagid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks. I took a quick look at the weather stripping and it looks OK to me. Plan to take it to dealer soon but I worry that they won't find anything. I'm pretty sure I'm not imagining it.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you'll have to find the source if they can't. cold can't leak through the door, it has to come from a seam.

RCO likes this.
  5. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This is actually a fairly common thing.
    I know that from shuttling rental cars around in the midwest for several years.

The most common entry point is around the inside door handle; seems to be hard to seal that area.
    When the outside skin of the car is at 0F, it doesn't take but a tiny air leak to feel REALLY cold.

RCO and kithmo like this.
  6. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    My previous Gen 3, Prius+ and now the Gen 4 all had/have the cold draught through the interior door handles, I thought it was a Toyota thing, never had it with the Fords I owned.

RCO likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i must be numb.:barefoot:

Mendel Leisk, kithmo and RCO like this.
  8. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have felt the cold air from the door. I haven't looked where it's coming from. Just moved a bit to get out of the cold.

9. DonJuan1943

DonJuan1943 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have noticed on my 2016 Prius that in the first twenty minutes of driving the heater works more powerfully if I close the "recirculate" button on the dash board. Like yourself, I had earlier thought that I had a "cabin leak"; but that turned out NOT to be the case. Then; after the cabin heats up, I open the recirculate button to allow fresh air into the mix. My 16 heater works well; and I live in a part of the country where there are only three seasons: JULY, AUGUST, AND WINTER.

Prodigyplace and bisco like this.