1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cold air Intake? - Not a Joke or Noob question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Daves09prius, Feb 11, 2012.

1. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Went on that site an read the review: "Still checking to see if my mileage increases".

Priceless.

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    and it looks cool. until you chip the ceramic...
    i had my bike pipes black ceramic coated, looks great and really works. the pipes don't get anywhere near as hot as they used to.

3. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    VAB Sports Throttle

[​IMG]

Not worth +$800... looks like I'll need a new dremel and bits...

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice. How much is that TB?

5. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    ~57,750 yen or close to $730USD directly from VAB w/o shipping for the ZVW30 (Gen3)

or from http://autostyle-usa.com $820

Nothing for NHW20 (Gen2)

6. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    So here's my dilemma...I'm getting the dreaded 'Check Engine' light when i am using the below setup. Seems to be a voltage issue. Getting codes P3190 and P3191 with my 'Torque' app ... as soon as I swap back for stock air box and clear codes...car runs normal. Using the same MAF for both setups, so I know the MAF or throttle body is not an issue. Do I need to ground the intake!?! Add a resistor somewhere!? Could it be the material that the MAF is housed in vs the Stock air box housing?

[​IMG]

Before I started with the above setup, I've already noticed a 2-3 mpg gain just by removing the entire snorkle/silencer from the airbox, I can only hope that it will improve more once I figure out this issue. Once I have the voltage corrected, I'll run the intake tubing down into the lower wheel well under the passenger headlight.

7. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Grounding the piece the MAF is in sounds like a good start.

I found this with Google
    "3191 Engine (aka ICE) does not start. 3090 Poor engine power"
    that could be from a non functioning MAF.

You 2-3 mpg gain is probably placebo effect.

8. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    So I couldn't sleep... so...

I'll try that next...

Would normally agree with you, but I looked up the codes for both p3191 and p3190 and found a bunch of troubleshooting PDFs but nothing explains why I have no problems with OEM but once I switch over to my aftermarket intake... codes! I'm using the same MAF, just swapping housing from the DIY intake from the OEM Airbox. MAF works fine in the stock housing...

So I finally ripped out the intake and tried something else...I removed the oem airbox filter and attached the cone filter. Wth...This works just fine...??

[​IMG]

And how does this not work!?

[​IMG]

Again, I'd agree with you, but I'm tracking this with the Torque app and also watching my daily commute to work. Same drive, same temp (usually here in SD), same traffic... and I'm noticing +2-3mpg gain.

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  10. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    To add volume, should he use a larger pipe? like 3"? or add in inline chamber similar to a bore-evacuator? Bore evacuator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia or resonator chamber?
    10 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT RESONANCE CHAMBERS | News | Motocross Action Magazine

Another article and interesting read about intake and exhaust systems:
    AutoZine Technical School

11. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Currently I am 2" to 3" 3-Ply Silicone Hose Elbow Coupler for the 3" intake.

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your throwing codes because your delivering alot more air than the fuel map was designed to utilize. It puts the MAF out of range and when that happens the car is put in limp mode. When you put the restricting air cleaner box back on it fixes that.
    Add if you think your getting any mileage gain your nuts. Don't you think the japs agonized over every tiny gain
    to the tune of millions of dollars of R & D?

2-3 mpg's is huge and near impossible. They tried. Performance and mpg gain are exclusive. You can get a performance gain with a cai and a bigger tb. Put it on the dyno and adjust fuel map for max power.
    This of course pus your mileage in the dumper.

13. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Can I in any way shape or form modify the fuel map or correct the MAF to the correct range? Sorry, I'm a lil new to this...
    Call it near impossible and my butt dynometer may lie, but both the Car's MPG tracker and the Torque app tracker show an +MPG. Small it may be, but the numbers don't lie. I'll keep this up for a couple weeks and update my results.

14. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Oddly enough the Car will run without the MAF plugged in with the below setup:

[​IMG]

but in a SERIOUS limp mode - never full power - pulsing the throttle. I ran this around the block a few times then while the car was running plugged the MAF back in. I hopped in the car and laid on the Gas... The car SURGED forward with the intake whistling with suction and a throaty roar (as much as u can imagine from the lil 1.5). The lil Prius really came to life with more 'get-up-and-go' than I had ever felt. I had only roared for about a 1/2 block b4 the car fell flat on its face...and completely shut off. I unplugged the MAF and limped home. Once I got home I put the Stock airbox on with the added conical airfilter, plugged in the MAF, cleared the codes and the car runs great.

[​IMG]

I really would like to figure out the Fuel Mapping or MAF being out of range. Regardless of supposedly not getting better MPG, I thought the increase in HP was quite impressive.

15. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The intake was definitely louder with the snorkel and resonator removed...

Any pics of your exhaust!?

16. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not 100% familiar with the feedback loop on the Prius, I'm more familiar with that on 80's cars, so I could be off...

...but when your air/fuel mixture has gone far too rich, you could be heating your catalytic converter to dangerous temperatures.

If the car is limping, it's not a good idea to drive it, even around the block. Get yourself a fire extinguisher!

17. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    hmm. Never thought i might be heating up the Cat. I guess IF i ever do that again, the Torque app does monitor O2 sensor temps... i could watch them if I had to and have one hand on a fire extinguisher. lol

18. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Here are two videos from different days. This is the hill that my Prius always struggled to drive and make it to the top, you can tell by the videos that its not struggling anymore. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is supersonic speed on my drive into work:
    [​IMG]
    *insert sarcasm here...

Believe what you want to believe, I still stand by my statement that removing the resonator, and the swapping out the MAF made a difference.

I can't wait to see what "Just did it" and others can do once they figure out the MAF issue and fuel mapping. Good luck guys!;)

19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The first video that you say is struggling is not bad hill at all. If your Prius is struggling to make that you have big problems. And it looked like the car flew up the hill anyway. Plz turn off the music and make another video so we can hear engine sounds.

20. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    none of the videos are struggling. This is one of the hills that was always slow to climb. not anymore! both videos show how easy the car climbs hills after removing the resonator