1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cold air Intake? - Not a Joke or Noob question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Daves09prius, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Product looks of great quality. Nice purchase. Please post ur personal experience once you have your modified air intake installed.

I personally think the better flowing air intake..cold or not, played a role in my recent MPG improvement. I still haven't replaced my 12v battery either which everyone thought was the culprit for a drop in efficient gas mileage...now I'm averaging 4-5MPG better than the "restrictive" OEM airbox configuration. Same gas station, same location..same fuel rating...same miles driven...same route...same speed and practically same weather and temp..(SoCal)...only difference is the routing of the intake air through the TB.

2. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I saw it too, but didn't want to bring it up since it caused so much drama last time...

3. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    couple days ago i put my old cai set up back on the car, and put a k&n filter in the airbox, since i was changing the badly yellowed rh headlight. (cheapo headlights don't fit good, should have bought oem) i noticed a block of metal bolted to the frame under the headlight. it weighs maybe 3-4 pounds; i guess its some kind of dampener /counterweight to cut down on road vibrations, but i took it off anyway. i hope this isn't gonna cause a rift in the time space continuum, or some sort of horrible noise at 75mph. haven't noticed anything yet.
    anyway, it looks like the airbox is awful restrictive; the opening above the throttle blade is really small. so i'm thinkin'
    1: i should remove the permanent filter from the airbox lid, and 2: i would like to get a 2" MAF housing eventually if they aren't prohibitively expensive.

Justdidit and Daves09prius like this.
  4. yangjiesheng

yangjiesheng Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    YA! I'm another JET performance MAF user.
    Product seem working but I have no tools to check the CO2 output. Seem it's doesn't give me problem, I just stick with me. No comments, everything feels the same.

As for the C.A.I, does anyone feel the low-end has suffer?
    I am still wondering should I drill a BLOODY HOLE and FORCE AIR via Bumper straight towards the Filter or better not...

Daves09prius likes this.
  5. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I haven't known any... I have tried both short ram and CAI - neither have shown to give worse than stock MPG when under the same demands...I've only seen improvements...including throttle response..no loss of power AT all.

6. yangjiesheng

yangjiesheng Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Justdidit,

Can I confirm with you, Prius Throttle body is 2 inch?

Caused my MAF is 2", I need to get a 2.25" than can slot in.
    So the 90 Degree elbow (From Throttle -> My MAF)
    1) 2.25" -> My MAF 2.25"
    2) 2" -> My MAF 2.25"

It's rare to find 2.25" here in local. So I will have to ship from oversea or from ebay.

7. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The 2004-2009 Prius TB is 2" - you have a 2" MAF...not sure how your confused. The ONLY reason I used a 90° 2"-2.25"elbow was because my original Yaris MAF was 2.25 and i had to go from the Prius 2" TB to the Yaris 2.25" MAF. Both your kstech MAF and my NEW custom CNC'd MAF are 2" -- so to be clear, you need a 90° 2" elbow to connect the Prius 2" TB to your 2" MAF

You could always take your airbox off and measure the TB yourself. Save me time from typing this up. lol! ;)

SFO and Daves09prius like this.
  8. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    for the lean code you had, was it P0171? i have installed my old CAI, and a K&N in the stock airbox. after removing the permanent charcoal filter from the airbox lid, i am getting P0171.
    so i need to disconnect the battery for a minute or 2 to make the ECU relearn the fuel curve w/ the unrestricted intake? (damn. that means i got to turn off the reverse beep again. damn.)

how is your intake working? no CEL for a good while?

9. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    All codes stopped once I got the 2" MAF housing. Intake runs great. Havent ran any actually tests but my MFD is showing almost a 4 MPG gain. Not sure if it is because of the better air flow or what. Never got any codes when I removed the charcoal filter..that I remember..? Resetting the ECU prob wont fix it permanently...might be a loose fitting..worth resetting tho. Do you not have any OBD2 scanners to clear the code?

10. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I think autozone and advanced lets you use their ODB II scanner for free and you could clear the code.

11. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I would say most P0171 errors are due to a vacuum leaks..

Since all you've changed is the air delivery... I would start with all the clamps and fittings that were added on and anything else that was loosened or tightened. 2nd I would try the 12v battery disconnect for 10 min.

12. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    now, if i didn't have a code reader, how would i know its P0171? i've reset it 2x so far; i will check for vac leaks if it comes back again. all the stuff i did before was in front of the air box, the CEL didn't start until i broke out the charcoal filter. i'm thinkin (hoping) its just getting more air than it expects.

13. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Ebay Best offer:
    2004 2009 Toyota Prius Hybrid Air Cleaner Airbox Intake Air Top Box | eBay

I'd say offer $10 for the lid, + the over priced $25 shipping = $35 for a replacement airbox cover. I think that's a reasonable price for a piece of plastic with the charcoal filter, that (Hopefully) will make that CEL light go away...
    They could put the cover in a USPS flat rate priority mail med size box and ship it for less than $12...

14. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    When I removed my charcoal filter...back when I was still using the stock air box, I had no issues or CEL... Gotta be a leak somewhere. Check from the TB all the way to the filter...

15. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    if it comes back on, i will look it over. but its kinda odd if it sprung a leak just when i took the lid off.

16. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You guys... all these headaches for a 1/2 HP gain. Such comedy!

17. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    "...it doesn't matter if it's an inch, or a mile - winning is winning"
    I'll take that 1/2 hp gain because at 81hp stock... need I say any more it's 81hp stock!
    Glad I can provide you with some laughter, :)

SFO likes this.
  18. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Winning? Is there some Spec Prius class that NASA just opened up? Prius day at the local drag strip? What is this winning of which you speak?

19. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    "Got dyno proof of only that?"

Interesting enough I am getting better MPG...+4mpg tho...

SFO likes this.
  20. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can view my autocross results from last year at Virginia Tech at brr-scca.org . 1st in class at 2 events, one event was 23rd out of 71 overall, and 3rd fastest Pax overall. People very much dislike losing to Prius.

SPH-D710 ? 2

SFO, Daves09prius and Justdidit like this.