1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cold air Intake? - Not a Joke or Noob question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Daves09prius, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Wonder how the car will perform with the less restrictive intake tubing and air filter once I wrap up this header install. Haven't finished the down-pipe connector. Hopefully this weekend...

2. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm wondering that myself. I'm limiting mods right now due to funds, but it would also bump me a class. Prius seems to be fairly competitive in H-stock so I think I'll stay a while. Atleast until a Mini shows up lol. A CRZ has been eating up HS so far this year here locally. I'm hoping he comes to Virginia Tech in June, that will be my first event this year.

SPH-D710 ? 2

Daves09prius likes this.
  3. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One

This was like the dumbest movie ever, but for some reason I still love it!

toyotechwv likes this.
  4. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    ^^This

5. yangjiesheng

yangjiesheng Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Finally had mine installed with 2" MAF Housing and with an open pod Apexi Filter. Initial move especially up slope i will received Code P0171. Damn.. may be I need to reset via pulling out 12v Battery.

Over all, Great response, Mean Sound when full rev and RPM and speed climb a lot FASTER!
    Am looking for Weapon R 4-2-1 Header for the next mod

Attached Files:

Justdidit likes this.
  6. yangjiesheng

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update.

Stock box, outside temp 34c, scan ii read lowest 38c
    CAI intake, outside temp 34c, scan ii read lowest 34c!

Both reading was done with coolant by-pass throttle body.

Reading based on highway! Amazing as here is summer hot and humid.

Just reset code via scan II and reset via battery too.
    No CEL for 6hr drive

Justdidit and toyotechwv like this.
  7. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    (y) Looks good... and familiar! :)

[​IMG]

Daves09prius likes this.
  8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You mean intake temp right? Temp on the mfd? Outside temp has nothing to do with what you have done.
    You need to look at the Intake temp on your Scan Gauge and should be radically cooler than engine temp.

9. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Pretty sure this is what he meant...

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nah going to be alot hotter than ambient temp as there is some heating of the intake from the engine but still 100 degree's cooler than the engine but what do I know only been running it for 6 years.

11. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I guess i MEANT to say..
    Not saying the physical intake manifold temp ...but rather the air temp as it passes thru the MAF and is read by the engine.

12. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    so i'm not the only one popping P0171. CEL off for a week after last time i cleared it. i did try to check for adaptations w/ a fancy new $4000 matco diagnostic tool. it would run the quick test, but it didn't have a provision to display and clear adaptations. there was no p0171 stored or pending at that time, but today after work (23mi 1 way), its back. couldn't find any vacuum leaks; any leakage upstream of the MAF should not matter.

13. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Wish I was near either one of you, I'd take a look. I've had no issues(CEL) since early Dec 2012...prob over 7,000 miles...

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    P0171 is not a good cel to throw because you are leaning out the engine which is really bad for a modern engine. It creates excessive piston top and head temperature (aluminum head not good) and also the cat is is seeing excessive temp too. Do a performance run at 75-80 mph's , drive the car hard for 30 minutes then pull over real quick and look under the car and see if the cat is glowing. Then open the hood and see if you smell anything burning. Do this at night.

P0171 because you are dumping alot more air into the fuel map then designed. Its out of range of the MAF. I'm surprised its not in limp mode.
    Normally you would adjust the fuel map and add alot more fuel to your alot more air and see performance gains and not expose the engine to a lean condition. But rock on......

Performance=Fuel

15. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    i'm not about to run it hard when its throwing a lean code. i doubt its going way far out of range, or it'd set the code quicker. i will disconnect the battery in the hope it will erase the fuel adaptations and then it will have to re-learn the fuel curve. the MAF is oe for larger engines that draw way more air, so it should be able to handle the little bit more its getting here.

16. yangjiesheng

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's been good 2 days of driving. No CEL and car response seem even better after I clear CEL using SGII, disconnected the battery for 30min.

I somehow lost a bit pulling force at initial low rpm around 960rpm - 2500rpm...
    but highway overtaking, the speedo climbs SO MUCH FASTER, especially hitting 3500rpm onwards at speed 70km/h - 110km/h.. The pulling is REALLY... REALLY AMAZING!

I had surprised quite a fare bit of other driver.. they been wonder.. how can Hybrid over take them so easily..

Seriously.... wondering what if I cut a hole and direct FORCE AIR INTAKE into the system! Hahahaa

SFO and Justdidit like this.
  17. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so boys, I joined the party a bit too late, I need to set something simmilar up for other reasons I have to get rid of the bulky box, my initial thought was to cut the maf housing off the box and put a filter on top of it but it's the wifes car, where can one source a 2'' housing/elbows, I seen the thread mentioning $10 and the other 110+, whats a source and price tag please.

I seriously doubt the intake air makes it back past the butterfly, there is vacuum below it and 14 pounds on top, and with the stock MAF just above TB further more confirms it, you would not be able to get a reading otherwise, so much for the long pipe theory that's what the funny looking manifold is for, that large pool at the bottom is there so one piston can suck in what the neighbour spits out , if anything those codes popped because you had a 2 inch sensor in a 3 inch housing.

Does the prius employ a MAP sensor too? I see a vacum hose back side of TB, just below the plate runs to the front of the motor to a sensod, tees off and keeps going, is that it?

has anybody figured out what the other 2 hoses are for? one comes from the valve cover and plums just above the buterfly, I would have thought CPV, but I did not see a valve and I thought that went under the butterfly, I may be confused here, scratch that it can't go under the butterfly, the other plums in under the buterfly if I did not know any better I'd say its for the break booster, thou I thought the prius employed electric servos for the breaks ( unoficially ),

Can any of you smart boys pull up some exploded wiews / diagrams, I see you all crossrefrencing parts numbers all the time I have yet to figure out how you do that. service manuals perhaps.

Goerge

18. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  19. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so I decided to give this a go myself, bit of a different take figured I'd experiment a bit with some cheap steel and fab my own airflow meter to factory spec,
    For what is worth you 2 boys running the 2 inch meter it's still too big, the factory one is more like 1 3/4, the sensor mesures the air that goes throu it alone and multiplies it by known diameter, you are not accounting for the air in the extra 1/4 inch diameter, running lean thou close to tolerance limit, the lamda sees it and the ECM compensates but every now and than you get a code.
    I have taken some pics, I am trying to keep all the specs as close to stock, besides the meter you can go with any size you want but this one maters. nevermid the rough edges I shall be stiching this up soon there will be some grinding later, right now I can actually use the extra metal to handle tha parts

Attached Files:

20. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    oh and for all you purists, your input is apreciated here, this part I am actually going out of my way to keep stock, searched all the stores in town for just the right size pipe and it was not easy, thou you all should watch that new audi comercial, might learn something:

I'm not much into poetry but if this guy was still alive I'd buy him a beer:
    The inspiring words that help tell this story are from the poem, "It Couldn't be Done" written by the late poet Edgar Albert Guest.

Daves09prius likes this.