1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cold air Intake? - Not a Joke or Noob question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Daves09prius, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    ha.. like how your gas is only $3.29.. I was happy to pay $3.63 last week.. I thought that was a good deal!!

Going to look more into this intake resonator deal....

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am 'helping' in two ways. (I hope)
    1) a short (small volume) intake may cause fuel/air ratio problems
    2)the intake air will not be 'cold' no matter how hard you try

Beyond that it is just cosmetics and noise pollution, and while I oppose both, I am not the internet's arbitrator of style.

DtEW likes this.
  3. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    For the Prius -- I agree

1) a short RAM Air (small volume) intake may cause fuel/air ratio problems -- Prius yes / V8, turbo i4 - No
    2) the intake air will not be 'cold' no matter how hard you try -- Prius yes / V8, turbo i4 - No

Noise pollution? Getting sucked back into the seat at 4000 RPM's WOT in third gear making my way into forth was in no way noise pollution, it was a musical symphony of exhaust and intake coupled with a heart pounding thrill ride... I sure miss those days... but the Prius will never be like that. When I step on the gas all you hear is mere silence, maybe a slight buzz of a yellow-jacket’s wings as I accelerate past the slow drivers... best of all is that I do it while maintaining 52 mpg. -- That's what's most impressive to me.

But like I said, the CAI question was never about screaming acceleration, or WOT growl. The intent was to improve acceleration in order to avoid an accident, or be able to quickly get up a hill. The lifted diesel pick-up trucks in my area seem to love tailgating small cars that struggle to get up a hill. – That's not much of an issue now.

I encourage everyone to try something new and unconvetional... Just because it shouldn’t make a difference on paper, doesn’t mean that it won’t make a difference in practice.

Ps. JimboPalmer, I know you're not talking about me when you say "noise pollution" it's the slammed 1995 Honda accords full of dents with an ill fitting, cracked fiber-glass body kit held together with drywall screws. (with vinyl dragon stickers across the side of course!) or the want’a-be fast & furious 16 year old boy-racer’s out there with the 15"-sub shaking the trunk off it's hinges that make everyone else look bad when they start talking about CAI or CAT-Back exhaust systems... Dare I say Exhaust Header? :sneaky:

4. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    It was $3.49 - $3.56 everywhere else. That's why I'm a Costco member, their gas is always cheaper, and still has the "cleaner additives"... for all I know it's bs, but it makes me feel good every time I pull up to the pump and see the sign that says the cleaner will make my engine smoother and better running... Half of everything in business is b.s. but if you can make your customer feel like a winner, they keep comming back. Thats why some great businesses fail. They slit their own throat to give the customer a killer deal, but if the customer doesn't feel like a winner, they end up being disapointed. Everyone wants to be a winner, no one goes out and says "today I want to over pay, and get under serviced..." Everyone wants and needs to feel good about the product or sevice they buy...

Anyway I'll stop lecturing now... $h#!@ I knew I was getting older and becoming more like my dad -- I just didn't know it would happen so fast... Damm... I apoligize for the college business lecture guys.

5. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you want us to believe this is not a joke, then you'll post up some dyno results before and after the mod. That will clear all doubt.

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

2010_Prius_I_White likes this.
  6. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    As a Android user myself, I was actually looking at buying the PLX Kiwi Bluetooth for the Droid and actually logging the results..then doing this mod and logging its results as well. its only $99 - could be useful in many applications...

FRYS.com | PLX

Mfr: PLX Model: KIWI BLUETOOTH FRYS.com #6393481 UPC: 897346002337

7. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    :) Yeah, I agree I wish I had place where I could Dyno both with and without the baffle. Someone willing to cover the costs of the dyno time would be nice too, until then I guess everyone will have to agree to disagree or just accept my butt dyno and the cars behind me being left in the dust.:cool:

You could also try it yourself, it doesn't take much, remove the passenger headlight, remove three bolts and one screw and the baffle is gone. reinstall the headlight and drive away happy... (y)

8. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I will def try this when i take my headlight out to bake and paint the housing black. :)

9. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yes please keep us up to date on your headlight project! Once done I know those lights will look so sweet!

10. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    i'm almost tempted to get the "cold air induction kit" i fabbed up for my '04 and slap it on the '05 just to see if maybe you're right about the better performance. but honestly, i don't remember it making any real difference on the '04. 'course, i can't remember much of anything these days...

11. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    What I consider the real test is to have my wife drive my car. I don't tell her that I've done anything. Usually after about 5 to 10 minutes she'll say "what'd you do to your car?! It drives so much better now!" first it was my suspension mods and the second time was when I removed the baffle that she noticed a change.

69shovlhed please share some pics and information about your fabricated air induction. I would like to make one and see if it makes any difference.

12. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Got pics? Would love to see

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Been tuning cars a long time and really there's no way you could see any performance improvement without a software tune to change the air/fuel map. An increase in performance can only come from one thing and that's more gas. Performance is not cheap. In fact it's pretty freakin' expensive. So increase in performance & better mileage are usually never mentioned together as they are the holy grail. Holy grail is not achieved by a CAI which you haven't even done properly. You just took the resonator off it.

Last CAI I had was a Stillen on a modded 240SX. Great car. No performance increase but it sounded great when you punched it and hauled nice person. The sounding great part convinces the butt dino its making a difference.

But I am running an engine mod too on my 07 Prius. I have bypassed the throttle body coolant loop. That's a very well known tuner mod. Coolant loop thru the TB is designed to warm the TB to prevent vapor lock in the winter but my car never see's winter.
    The only thing I'm getting in return for sure on my Prius is keeping 190 F temps off the throttle body which are very unnecessary in Florida. I see 90F max now at the TB. Benefit there is I hope to never have to replace the $1500 throttle body because of heat damage to the TB motor. Completely unnecessary in Florida to cook the TB and now since the rest of the Country is boiling I can include them too.
    And the car seems to have excellent pick up. Cooler air through the TB. Best CAI ever. Just remove the hoses and put in a barrel. Car has been running with this bypass for almost 4 years.

Try it.

David S and 2010_Prius_I_White like this.
  14. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The reason why I can get better gas mileage with the resonator being removed is the concept of pulse and glide. It doesn't work on a conventional car, but it works wonders on the Prius. So how do I get better mileage with the resonator being removed? Simple, with the resonator removed I can achieve a shorter pulse with the glide. I accelerate with a strong pulse of the gas, lift, and then gently touch the gas pedal. here's a pic of me going 72 MPH on the highway (Flat ground and slightly declined). check my MFD, the mpg meter is all the way up to 99.9mph. I acheve my great gas milage due to the P&G. I can maintain speed right around 70 while maintaining my 99.9 mpg. I'll pulse up to 75, and coast till about 68mph. Then I start the process all over again. (Yes I know it's time for an oil change so please ignore the check engine light.)

[​IMG]

15. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    To all of you who doubt removing the resonator will do anything, just try it. Maybe you all are right and I'm wrong. But don't tell me that it won't make a difference until you try it for yourself first. Try it and report your findings.

16. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Sometimes I feel like PintoGirl when she started her search for exhaust mods... It's no wonder she left and no longer comments on priuschat... to all of you who want to bash pinto girl-style, stick to simple things, like tinting your windows, then go drive off a cliff. Your death will make the wold a better place. Okay leave the Prius in the garage, and drive your SUV off the cliff. (feel free to jump out at the last second. The SUV's death will save at least 10 baby seals.)

offib likes this.
  17. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    May someone correct me if I'm wrong but Prius has torque sensor on the engine, there is no need for dyno. With torque and rpm you can calculate HP (Torque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Gen II has directly kW PID I think, so get an Android phone get a cheap bluetooth OBD2 adapter and Torque app and give us some numbers.

18. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    i just took some pix of the "kit". it will need the filter to be cleaned and re-oiled before i stick it on the '05. here it is: P7141253.JPG P7141252.JPG

19. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    2 elbow hoses, a steel elbow with a cone welded to it, and a cone filter. i just attached it to the inlet on the filter box; i didn't really trust the cone filter to keep silt out of the engine so i left the stock filter in place too. wire tied it to the body so it didn't flop around on the crummy roads we have in VA.

20. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is clearly wrong. P&G works for any vehicle with an oversized engine, which is essentially every car in the NA market. Hypermilers have exploited this technique from long before the first Prius.

Furthermore, maximum efficiency isn't achieved by by pulsing at the fastest rate, but by pulsing at the most efficient rate. Getting more horsepower from the Prius ICE will not help, unless that horsepower is produced more efficiently than the most efficient level of the unmodified ICE. Efficiency of the Prius ICE drops at WOT, so it is very unlikely that this mod will improve efficiency.

Tom