1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cold air Intake? - Not a Joke or Noob question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Daves09prius, Feb 11, 2012.

1. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It may just be a change in attitude, but no one cuts me off, they just aid me in drafting until they pull away.

DtEW and Jaquimo like this.
  2. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    lol... then we shouldn't have bought the Prius. :) u CAN pass them as they pull over for gas.

I do plan on purchasing this OBD2 bluetooth adapter for multiple reasons other than just testing the intake mod. I have found that the ELM327 will work with the Droid app 'Torque' (Free version or the $5 pro) - its a heck of a lot cheaper and does from what I can tell the same thing.

[​IMG]

Then I can actually start testing a few ideas...

3. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yes because this happens to me daily! They cut me off and then drive slow... I guess they think since I'm in a Prius I'm going to drive slower than them or something... or they could just be typical Washington D.C. drivers. (People in luxury / sports cars drive them like station-wagons, and people in station-wagons drive them like sports cars!)

4. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're going to need quite a bit more than a CAI to pass someone with a turbo K20 or B series (especially the K20).

5. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    typical DC drivers would be known as @$$HØŁə$ anywhere else in N America. i guess they just want to be first in line rather than passing because they drive fast. and alot of jerks seem to despise prii and the "tree huggers" that drive em. i tell morons: without trees, we'd not be alive. but it goes right over their pea-brained heads.
    i'm about to wire up some decent horns cause the pathetic little meeeeep that the stock horn makes is a joke. i'd really like a locomotive air horn.

6. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    hey! i'm allowed to dream, ain't i?

7. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yes "a_gray_pruis" this is true, the Prius will need a lot more than an CAI...

You're not the only one dreaming!

8. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm the topic is turbo a prius? hell yeah.. can be done.. not more then about 4-5 psi due to internals

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh my were going from a fantasy 10 hp gain on a CAI to a turbo now. :LOL:
    It gets better & better!

10. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    So I fabricated a CAI, using 1.5" PVC piping, it ran directly from the air box into the open space behind the left front tire. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can confirm that there was no gain in power compared to simply removing the large resonator. I actually lost some acceleration with the 1.5" tubing. So I thought more about it... Using only the 1.5" pipe with all those 90 degree bends has to be a bit more restrictive and altering the airflow compared to the open stock tube (Tube, with snorkel, minus Resonator.) So I set off to make the CAI better...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I go from 1.5" Tubing to 2" tubing to 3" tubing. Why not 1.5" straight to 3" tubing? - I had to use the 2" in order to fit through the precut hole where the OEM resonator use to be, space behind the passenger headlight is limited, and you have to snake it around the A/C metal lines.

I have a k&n filter on order that will attach to the 3" piping. I'll still use both filters: the k&n on the 3" pipe, and the k&n drop-in filter that sits in the stock air-box. I'll send more pictures once the cone filter arrives.

Justdidit likes this.
  11. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I like where ur heads at.. just need to get it fab'd up and run some tests...

12. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yeah I wish I could dyno, or have a ODB-II iPhone app to track engine / throttle data.

13. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  14. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
  15. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    ANOTHER reason to not buy apple products. What about: Kiwi 2 Wifi - PLX Devices Inc - USA ?? 1/3 the price...

ANDROID all the way. :) = ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 Scan Tool $26 'Torque' app for Android $5

I would like to see what your 'JoeThePlumber' intake piping will net. How much do u think ur spent on the piping?

16. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    the first attempt was $26, my second design, was more like $34, but I have almost $20 or so in returns because I over bought on angle couplers, and I should have bought the shorter 1.5" and 2" pipe lengths. 2 feet of pipe was like $3 each, and 4 feet of pipe was $4 each, so why not spend the extra $1 and have more pipe just in case I need extra? I'll have to look up what exactly I used for the second CAI, I can't remember if I used the 30-degree bends, or 65 degree bends... I'll let you know once I get back home and can look at what I used and what I have left over.

17. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Once you found a good design... probably wouldn't cost much to have an exhaust shop mandrel bend you some tubing to look something like the picture below based off your PVC pipe mock-up.

[​IMG]

18. joedirte

joedirte Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Is it possible just removing 5 lbs of plastic and the psychology of "changing" the air intake and the expectation (and time invested) account for any perceived increase in HP? Or just having a louder ICE...

Anyways rather then running tubing into the hole.. Just leave the CAI filter in the space where the old snorkle was and add blueboard/ foam to isolate that area and all the cold air will come in from the hole and the air from the wheel well. (maybe a foam lid also)

19. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Most definitely! lol, but until we log it, guess we'll never know.

20. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Dear Joe Dirt - Actually the ICE isn't louder, don't know if the HP really is increased till we dyno / iPhone / Android auto engine track app it. I can tell you that the car accelerates smother, and doesn't require mashing of the pedal to achieve acceleration. am I getting whip lash and being sucked into the seat when I stomp on the gas - no. It accelerates smoother and requires less pressure on the gas pedal to achieve forward momentum.

Get out your 1/4" drive socket set, and remove the resonator yourself. Trust me, you won't regret it.
    I'm working on fabricating the CAI for fun, and to see what happens.