1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cold and wind and speed, Oh My!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by efusco, Dec 3, 2007.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Drove my boys ~3 1/2 hours to/from St. Louis this weekend to see their first NFL game. That was fine and dandy.

But the temps lingered in the low 40s and upper 30s during the drive and the winds were brutal...usually cross winds but coming home I had quartering head winds (the worst for the Prius). I transiently saw mpg in the mid- to upper 30s on the 70mph hilly interstate drive. Numbers like I haven't seen in a couple of years and painful to take after my last several tanks pushing 70mpg.

Another factor was that I have a brand new Michelin HydroEdge on the front left rim (different story)...I'm sure that gave a little bit of a hit as well.

I have to drive to Kansas City (similar distance and conditions) Wed. then home on Sat. then back to St. Louis on Sunday and home again next Monday. Thinking my December MPG average is going to drop below 60 for the first time in a while!

Yea, I'm crying in my milk a bit and I realize others see these kinds of numbers all the time...but it's tough to take after working so hard to get my numbers up over the past year. There's just not much you can do when the elements and circumstances conspire against you.

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A Rams' game fine and dandy?? :)

Seriously, I think a silver lining in your post is reassurance to the newbies with less-than-ideal routine conditions that there is nothing wrong with their cars.

3. Irunnoft

Irunnoft New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

We're under a high wind advisory today in Western NC - some gusts of up to 60mph! :eek: I definitely took a hit on the MPG driving in to work today!