1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

cold calculations: is this an MPG record?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Old Bear, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It was about 6-degrees F outside when I pulled out of the garage to give Mrs. Bear a short drive to the local commuter rail station this morning. It's only about a quarter mile away and it was nice to have the Prime all warm inside from a few minutes of "pre-conditioning" while plugged-in.

Figuring it would be back on the charger before any serious depletion of the battery, I let the climate control run with the cabin temperature set to a comfortable 70-degrees F.

Unfortunately, the train was a little late so we had to wait in the parking area inside of the nice warm car. Of course, once the Prime figured out how cold it was, the gasoline engine started up to take over from the heat-pump and provide heat.

Not a problem. We were only waiting for a few minutes before the train arrived. And, interestingly, when the ICE started up, the dashboard display still showed the Prime to be in EV -- not HV -- mode.

Then, just about a quarter mile drive back home to plug-in to the EVSE in my garage and to grab a cup of coffee and glance at the morning paper before settling into my home office.

Of course, I checked the "Charge Management" on my phone to reassure myself that the Prime was properly plugged-in and charging, and to see the estimate of how long it would take to fully recharge.

Maybe I should have stopped there, but I decided to look at the ECO Dashboard and see my daily mileage statistics. And then, when I looked at today's stats which reflected only the 4/10-mile round trip to the train station, I saw what may be a Prius Prime mileage record: 14.2 mpg.

Now that rivals the mileage I used to get on a Cadillac STS with a 4.6-liter V-8 engine. Of course, it was undoubtedly an artifact of the very short trip and the use of the gas engine while waiting for the train. But, I have to wonder, what will my friends think when I tell them that my plug-in hybrid can get 14.2 mpg? :p

Cold-Bear.jpg

Mark57 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When we got our previous Civic Hybrid back from the body shop (they had it for close to a month...) it broke my heart to see the mpg, at 8. :cry:

3. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sad, but reality is a b_t_h. I'm using gas now and not worrying about it. Sad to see my MPG readout slip in just three days from 137 to the low 120's though. And... it will get much worse. But in only about 100 days, it will begin to be a lot warmer outside. I've totally stopped my calculations of the estimated EV miles vs. real EV miles. Just no point to it. -9F in a couple days. We'll see how well that goes, even for the gas engine.

mczouav likes this.
  4. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Is that the temperature on the thermometer, or the "wind chill" temperature? The car only cares about the temperature on the thermometer. Only us warm-blooded critters trying to maintain an internal temperature care about the wind chill .

5. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thermometer temperature. Don't even want to think about wind chill and I'm not in the plains. Single digit or negative lows till Saturday a week. Highs not much better. Ohio valley and midwest mini ice age. Maybe looking at a Prime tomorrow for some friends depending on how much snow we get.

#5 JamesBurke, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017