1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

cold start, big vibrations that sound like the wheel of fortune being spun!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by vajratlr, Nov 8, 2013.

1. vajratlr

vajratlr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've had my 2010 Prius for about 3.5 years now and this is the 3rd maybe 4th time happening. This morning I started the car and the car started to vibrate/rattle from the engine bay. It almost sounded like the wheel of fortune being spun but louder. Anyone know why and how to fix it???

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  3. vajratlr

vajratlr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just briefly read the PDF of the TSB but my VIN is not covered under this TSB plus I'm over the 60K warranty period.

I live in Los Angeles so not that cold. This morning it might have been in the low 50's. But I do recall every time it happened, it's always in the 'colder' morning at start up.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bunch of threads here on this issue. some say it happens more frequently when the ice starts and you shut it down (like moving the car in the driveway for instance), then the next time you start it you get the problem. they call it a 'cold soak', but i don't think it has to be that cold.

5. musician

musician New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2010 Prius has 30,000 miles .I took it to the dealer on 11/20/2013 for the same complaint and they told me all the diagnostic test were OK . I went to the Service director and had him listen to the video posted and he said it my car had a intake manifold leak. They are going to replace the intake gasket and manifold. I also filed a complaint with Toyota headquarters . They should notify all Prius owners of this problem

6. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can make the noise occur by doing the following:

- Start car when engine is cold (has nothing to do with outside temperature).
    - Turn car off shortly after ICE fires up.
    - Allow engine to cool overnight.
    - Start car next day, big noise.

I simply avoid doing this and never have the noisy startup. If I need to move the car around the garage / driveway, I let it idle until the ICE turns itself off. If I forget and turn the car off early, sure enough the sound appears the next morning.