1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

cold start creaking type noise when i put into drive

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cmamoulelis, Jan 14, 2017.

1. cmamoulelis

cmamoulelis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i have a 2010 prius with 177k. the last couple of days when i start it in the morning in about 55 degree weather and shift to drive there is this creak that sounds "metal like". is my transmission on it's last legs? my inverter went out at 107k and was replaced by toyota under warranty (i live in ca).

thanks

2. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably a cracked or broken exhaust system heat shield. You might take it to a muffler shop and have it inspected

cmamoulelis likes this.
  3. herqulees

herqulees Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is it the brakes? The brakes in my work truck and my Prius creak for the first few feet on a cool morning.

cmamoulelis likes this.
  4. cmamoulelis

cmamoulelis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i think it is the brakes. not happening now since it has gotten a little warmer

5. ThatDudeOrion

ThatDudeOrion Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    when I park, I always apply service brake, shift to N, set the parking break, release service brake pedal so that the parking brake is holding the weight of the vehicle, and then I push the switch to P. this is again an effort to have the parking brakes holding the weight of the car, verus the parking pawl or however the transaxle locks the planets/gears.

I do get some creaking when I first pull out of the garage or parking spot. Exacerbated by high humidity/rain contributing to flash oxidation/rust/etc.on the break rotors.