1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

cold start knock/rattle fixed

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BKS in IN, Jan 23, 2020.

1. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As Mendel said, buy a leakdown tester (the OTC from amazon is priced affordably) and perform a leakdown test. While doing a leakdown test, make sure the cylinder is at TDC and I would put a breaker bar on the crank to prevent it from rotating. While the cylinder is being pressurized, also watch for any air bubbles in the coolant reservoir.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. BKS in IN

BKS in IN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, I just went to fill the reservoir to the full line and when I unscrewed the cap it was still under pressure and its been 6 hours since we drove it. Also it smelled like the intake manifold when I put my nose down to it. So what is the odds of a blown head gasket verses a cracked head or cracked block? And will Toyota take care of any of this?

3. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The cooling system is supposed to be under pressure. It is normal to have some amount of pressure released, especially if it has only been 6 hours.

If you smell combustion gases in the coolant, then it is not a good sign. But I would perform a leakdown test before jumping to any conclusions.

Toyota’s obligation ended when the powertrain warranty expired at 5/60K.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. BKS in IN

BKS in IN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Seeing how coolant isn't in the oil, or on the garage floor, that means it has to be going out the exhaust. Would I be able to tell by pulling the spark plugs if coolant is getting in the combustion chambers

5. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If it has been sitting 6 hours, it should be long enough for any leakage to appear.

Remove all 4 spark plugs and use an inspection camera to inspect the top of the cylinders. If they are wet, it is probably coolant.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. BKS in IN

BKS in IN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Just to verify, the coolant was about a qt low in 2 months time, car is driven daily, but only 15 miles a day some days and 60 miles other days. So the leak is pretty small, you agree? Should I try a stop leak first to see if that will plug it?

7. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Absolutely not. Stop leaks cause issues with clogging heater cores, passages and even radiators.

Under normal conditions, coolant loss should be zero.

Raytheeagle and Tim Jones like this.
  8. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Stop leak is the gift that keeps on giving. Two years after I replace the engine in mine I still have stop leak that I have to flush out periodically.

Tim Jones likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Eric the Car Guy says leak down test should be at TDC on compression stroke. On the other TDC a valve may be open? Depends on the engine? He does give tips on how to determine.

I'm thinking just do the twice test, rotating round to TDC again, see if anything changes.

10. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    That is bad. I have put 60,000 miles on mine since I got it and it has over 250,000 now, I think I've put maybe a cup in over a two year period.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    About 3~4 years after we acquired our (new) 2010, both coolant levels had got down to the low line. I topped them both up and neither has budged since. I'd guess a new car, there's maybe some slight air pockets that work themselves out? I'd guess after a coolant change the cycle might repeat.

12. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I can believe that but this guy has 150,000 on his.... If my car was down quart I'd be pretty sure it was the head gasket.

The Critic and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. BKS in IN

BKS in IN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Well the antifreeze leak was slow enough to not worry too much about, added about a pint a week. But 3 weeks ago the head gasket finally let loose where it had white smoke coming out of the exhaust. So I told the wife to park it and drive the spare car till I could get it fixed. Last weekend I tore it apart and got the head off, its now at a machine shop to make sure it has no cracks and isn't warped. the passenger side 2 cylinders showed signs of incomplete combustion, dirty and antifreeze on top of the pistons. Head gasket had black coating off of it in-between them 2 cylinders, so I assume that was the problem. I am working on placing a parts order for everything I need to get it back together. after reading thru many of the treads of people that have done this already, it seems that most would recommend using OEM Toyota parts? So I need a 04112-37253 GASKET KIT, ENGINE VALVE GRIND, 10- 90910-A2011 HEAD BOLTS, and debating on a $200 WATER PUMP …… At what mileage have any of you had your water pump fail? Any other parts I need?

14. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Water Pump out at 169,000 Gen 3 v
    Have you done the EGR System Clean up?
    Let's just hope you don't have a bent connecting rod......
    This head gasket thing is Totally Toyota's Fault.....

15. BKS in IN

BKS in IN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Just talked to the machine shop and the head is warped a little, but within specs to be surface grind. So good news is I don't have to buy a new head.

#55 BKS in IN, Aug 27, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  16. BKS in IN

BKS in IN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My very 1st post in this thread back in Jan 2020 explained that I did the EGR cleaning, but it didn't solve the rough start problem. That's when I found out to watch for the coolant level going down, and seen it was, so probably a bad head gasket.

17. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Just making sure if you hadn't done it...to do it now....
    You may want to ascertain that you don't have a bent connecting rod.
    Some people have done this repair only to find out about the rod when they start it up...
    Not saying you have that problem but there is a possibility.
    Was it running smooth....? Idle?

#57 Tim Jones, Aug 27, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I see a close-but-different number, 04111-37315, in the attached engine overhaul TSB. Not sure, maybe your number is a supersession?

Attached Files:

19. BKS in IN

BKS in IN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Your kit is a complete overhaul kit, mine is just a head gasket replace kit, everything needed just to replace the head gasket.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. BKS in IN

BKS in IN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Is there a head bolt kit that has all 10 bolts in it, or do I just have to order 10 head bolts? is Ultra Black RTV a good product to use, or should I stick with the Oil Pan Sealer - Toyota (00295-00103)? Thoughts on spending the extra $200 on a water pump? Car has 160k miles on it.