1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cold Temps affecting my Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by cary1952, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I use the pipe insulation with OD of about 1.5". It pushes onto a slat (via its longitudinal slit). Two rows of tubes cover the whole lower grill. It's not really needed to cut transverse slits in it, at the vert slats. I secure it with a strip of Velcro near each end. Use one row from ten C down to zero. 2 rows (100%) below zero C.

2. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    These are the technical details. I'm happy with 1" and no fastening. It lasts firmly, tested many times on touchless hi-pressure car wash :)
    BTW - there are differences in dimensions and design of lower grill even within the same model and year of European Prius. Mine (black) - originally from France has five lower openings, the friend's of mine (white -purchased in Poland) has only four :eek:
    And they are more narrow (I suppose) than US versions. Whatever - the common idea is always the same :D

grille.jpg

3. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It will depend on your commute and such, but yes, you will notice an improvement in mpg in cold weather vs no grill blocking. One of the bigger issues is that you'll be able to turn the heater on sooner, since the engine will warm up more quickly, when you limit the amount of cold air entering the engine bay. Not that it gets very cold in the Bay Area, but I can turn my heater on a minute sooner and that is always nice. Further, when I'm in slow and go traffic, I can run the heater longer before I get close to 159F and need to shut it off to keep the car in S4 (which happens at 159F).