1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cold-weather activities: Down, Primaloft, Thermoball; which is best?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Sep 10, 2013.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So this is a question mainly aimed at folks who go out into the snow. I'm planning a snowshoeing trip (around Nelson, BC, Canada) for this December. As I always do when I go into the wilderness, I will have a professional guide who has given me a list of required and recommended gear. I tried snowshoeing once before, several years ago, and it was beautiful and I loved it, except that my hands and feet were painfully cold, as I have poor circulation in my extremities. I now have much better gloves and mittens (wool) and I will buy insulated boots (they won't be in the stores here for another month yet, but that's still plenty of time).

But one of the items highly recommended is a down jacket or vest, which will be mainly for when we stop for lunch, as I expect I will generate plenty of heat while walking, as I love breaking trail, so I'll be taking turns at that with the guide.

So they recommended down, but at R.E.I. they were touting North Face Thermoball as superior to down (does not turn to "porridge" when wet) and I have a very nice Rab jacket with Primaloft, which is also touted as superior for the same reason. Both Thermoball and Primaloft are extremely light and compressible, both of which are important for hiking.

But what I cannot judge, and lack the experience to have any comparison, is how they compare with down for warmth. And what importance I should give to their water resistance. It's unlikely, but possible, that it will get warm enough to rain on us. It's also possible that it will be quite cold. 30 below Celsius is unlikely, but 20 below is possible. Ten below is more likely. On my previous snowshoeing trip, in the same region, it hovered around zero Celsius much of the time, but dipped down to 6 or 8 below some days.

If anybody has experience with both down and either Primaloft or Thermoball, I'd appreciate your comments.

P.S. I know all about layering, as I hike in some very cold summer weather. Layering is the plan. The question is whether the lunch-stop and emergency layer should be down or synthetic. I have no previous experience with down.

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Down is a wonderful, natural material that's very warm and comfortable. Nothing matches it in the warmth-for-weight department. IF you can keep it dry in Winter, it will be great. BUT if it gets wet, either from rain, sweat, or general dampness, it won't be either warm or comfortable. If you won't be sweating much, and have a place to dry it out each night, I'd say it would be fine.

I have used many synthetic materials, though not specifically the two you mention. I don't have a Winter insulated jacket, instead splitting that combination into two layers of rain/wind jacket and fleece jacket. That way, I can use both jackets under a much wider range of conditions all year round, either separately or together.

A goretex/fleece lined ski hat is my favourite item of Winter clothing - it keeps me warm and dry no matter what the weather.

3. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    R.E.I. has very cozy-looking cloth shell fake-fur hats with ear flaps. The sales guy said he thought they would be too warm for snowshoeing. I'm not a fan of Goretex. It breathes about as well as rubber.

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Too warm for snowshoeing? In Nelson, in December? I'm not so sure about that. ;)

Even if you don't wear a hat all the time, like when slogging up a steep hill, I consider it an essential piece of Winter kit. It's easy to take on and off as needed, and tucks away more easily than another layer. It's definitely easier than taking your shell on and off to change the number of inner layers, especially while out and exposed.

I trust your guide has listed some sort of hat? A wool toque maybe?

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Something you might like are down booties. They're supremely warm and comfortable, and light and compressible enough to take anywhere. They're great around camp - or even around the house - after a long Winter walk.

6. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oh, yes, quite possibly. When moving, anyway. At lunch it might be nice, but with a wool hat under the hood of the jacket at lunch it still might be too much. Nelson is not all that cold. Not even as cold as Spokane, and nothing like North Dakota.

Yep. "Wool or fleece hat, covering the ears" is on the list, and I have several such. Again, under the jacket hood they should be fine. I still might buy the fake fur hat, though, it felt quite cozy in the store.

I do not camp out. And after a warm shower, with dry socks and regular slippers, my feet are fine indoors.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jack say's go with the down.

FrozenJackTorrance.jpg

massparanoia likes this.
  8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Poor Jack could use a hat, too. He's looking a bit chilled. ;)

9. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't neglect your legs!

I had to go to Beijing last December: when I left Sydney, it was 32C, and when I got to Beijing, it was -11C.

I bought a coat when I got there (I have no need for coats here), and I was well wrapped up. But I only have summer-weight suits.

One day, it snowed, and it was about -12C, and because of the snow, the traffic was catastrophic. I had to walk from one meeting to the next: it was a couple of miles, including the incredibly exposed kilometre across the open expanse of Tian'anmen Square. I was wearing two T-shirts, a shirt, a tie, a suit jacket and a down coat, so my top half was OK. But when I got back to my hotel, my legs were so chilled that they were bleeding. My Beijing friends told me that, when the weather is like that, they wear tights (pantyhose) under their suits. So I'd recommend that.

Although, if I'm honest, the main things I'd recommend to insulate yourself from the cold weather is a flight to Australia, or failing that, a nice warm house with a fire.

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My legs are not too much of a problem. Long before my legs get too cold I'd be cutting the hike short because my hands and feet would be in pain. Legs of course are a special difficulty because you cannot change your long underwear without taking off your shoes. Remember, though, that I spent half my life in North Dakota, where people used to put on their wool long-johns in the fall and not take them off until spring. That, of course, was before the invention of central heating. I have marino wool long underwear for colder weather and silk long underwear for milder cold. I also have rain pants which will serve as a windbreaker. There are insulated overpants, but the marino wool plus the regular pants plus the rain pants will keep my legs warm in the coldest weather I'm likely to experience in Nelson. If I was returning to N.D. I'd be sure to have insulated overpants as well. 25 below C. is common there, and I've been out in wind chill of 62 below C.

What I've only done once, for three weeks, a few years back, is spend all day outside with periods of intense exercise separated by a lunch break. On that occasion , there were days when I had to skip lunch so I could keep moving because my hands and feet were too cold. I didn't have good gloves or boots. My legs never got cold, and all I was wearing on my legs were the marino wool long underwear and medium-weight hiking pants.

I spent two weeks in Australia and two weeks in New Zealand about six years ago. I loved both countries and I will probably go back. But I do not travel well: I cannot read or sleep even in business class on the airplane, and I become so restless it is painful. Maybe if someone invited me on a plane that had a full bed and an exercise bike and a shower... :)

Your legs really should not have been bleeding even at 12 below zero Celsius. I don't know what could have caused that.

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Honestly Daniel?

Now I wish you well with your trip.

If anything happened and I found out? The guilt over posting the frozen picture of Jack Nicholson would be horrible.

So by all means, please dress warmly and be careful. I really want this trip to go well for you.