1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cold weather cruise control and unexpected engine ON

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by bwilson4web, Dec 11, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

In specific conditions, cruise control can enable the engine to come on and cycle while showing "EV Mode":
    CC-Set CC-On @35 mph CC-On @45 mph
    1 CC-Set @35 mph engine stays off engine stays off
    2 CC-Set @45 mph engine stays off
    engine comes ON

Example:

Use "," and "." to space through the video one frame at a time.

Testing with my 2017 Prius Prime Plus shows it requires cold-soaking the car at or below 48F (8C) with battery SOC 96-100%. The heater was off and the engine cycling did not change it. In contrast, "Front Defrost" turns on the engine and heater controls. Temperatures under 32F (0C) may inhibit the effect. We know the engine comes on at 14F (-10C).

METHODOLGY

The best approach uses two parts: (1) conduct a test and then; (2) reach ~45 mph and cycle the cruise control to verify the engine comes ON. This two part scenario ensures nothing else inhibited the symptom.

We don't know all of the limits:
    • lowest temperature - @john1701a and @Lee Jay testing suggest there is a lower limit
    • SOC limits - the tested range <80% and >=96% suggests the limit is within 81-95%.
    • lowest speed limit - lies somewhere between 35 and 45 mph
    • how to stop engine - power cycling the car may stop the cycle and leave the engine off
    Use a cell phone, dash cam or video recorder to monitor the test to avoid distracting the driver. Testing after sun set or before sun rise works best because the instruments can be easily read as well as the front view. Video recording can be done during the day with careful setup but test the video setup before testing the car.

SUMMARY

Once started, the engine cycle burns gas and reduces MPG. However, it can easily be defeated by turning cruise control ON when the car is first started.

Thanks to @priuscatprimeguy and the thread he started, ICE comes on anyway | PriusChat who first identified the bug. There were some early driving notes but I can find no effect for stops, speeds, or maximum accelerations.

Bob Wilson

#1 bwilson4web, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    stevepea, E-GINO and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I accidentally did a test this morning because my car didn't charge last night. It was at 52% when I left for work and I typically use 55% getting to work.

The battery ran out on that 6% uphill grade at 55mph just before I got to work. I was on cruise the entire time. ICE didn't kick in until 0.0 miles remaining. The car was in a 53°F garage all night, and the temperature outside on my way to work was 33°F.

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    because my car didn't charge last night. It was at 52% when I left for work and I typically use 55% getting to work.

The battery ran out on that 6% uphill grade at 55mph just before I got to work. I was on cruise the entire time. ICE didn't kick in until 0.0 miles remaining. The car was in a 53°F garage all night, and the temperature outside on my way to work was 33°F.

The engine ON we're tracking requires SOC greater than 80% and cold-soak temperature under 48F. What you've described is the normal engine ON when SOC is exhausted.

Bob Wilson

4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I know that. What I'm saying is that this hill (the one that did trigger the engine to come on at 16% charge when the car had been heavily cold-soaked) did not trigger it when the battery was warmer.

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm not sure I understand:
    Perhaps you might use Google Earth and share a graph of the hill and/or route?

Bob Wilson

6. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Last up hill on the right.

upload_2017-12-11_17-9-4.png

I was referencing the post here:

ICE comes on anyway | Page 46 | PriusChat

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I experimented on the drive home today. Temperature was 29°F outside. The car had been plugged in and recharged with climate-prep. It sat in the parking lot while I worked, scheduled finish shortly before leaving.

I drove on a suburb road to get to the highway, climbed out of the river valley at 55 mph, then transitioned to 70 mph. I got off highway and into a parking lot where I shopped for about 20 minutes. The theory was that with a warmed battery, the engine wouldn't start even when engaging cruise.

Starting out at 55% capacity, the variety of suburb roads at a variety of speeds and peppered with hills awaited. The journey began. No matter what I tried with the cruise, the engine never started.

I got down to 13% before feeling comfortable that cell-bank temperature is required to further my research. Anyone have any PID values on that data?

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I went back and reviewed YouTube cold morning commute to work (see after signature.) It looks like after the right-turn at the first stop sign, you can reach 44 mph with 98% SOC. Could you wait until reaching 44 mph before turning your cruise control ON and SET?

That would match the protocol that leads to turning the engine ON.

A minor technical point, it would help if the instrument display could include a couple of inches to the right that includes the cruise control icons. I notice the edge of some icons at seconds 0:06. I would not want to lose what you have already on the left, just I'd like to see the cruise control icons too ... if possible. It may be impossible to get the camera back far enough to see the full instrument display.

I ran into a similar problem so this is how I mount my dash cam to get both the windshield and at night, the instruments. Daylight wipes it out.
    [​IMG]

It appears to be a time-lapse video. It would help if we could get some time stamps and/or give an idea of the frame sampling rate. Know the true times makes it easier to see if there might be a time component.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

ps.

#8 bwilson4web, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  9. Charged Up

Charged Up New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'm willing to experiment this weekend. Question: I have a Bosch OBD II scan tool that can read/display more data than the Prime tells you (coolant temperatures and some other things). Would this be helpful information for you to capture? If so, let me know and I'll do my best to capture the info. Reason I ask is because the car might be inclined to warm the battery up to temperature if its cold, which might affect if the ICE comes on or not. I will have access to a heated garage as well so I can test with a "luke warm" battery and a cold battery, if you think it will make a difference (ICE comes on for coolant to warm up battery). The forecast right now says it will be 21F and 23F highs on Saturday and Sunday so temperature should be relatively constant.

priuscatprimeguy and benagi like this.
  10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Let me suggest following the protocol in the first post so you can experience the symptom. Once you understand what happens, we can use experiments to measure the limits and add details.

We've not really dug into OBD data and if you'd like to start, go for it. The key is to find any OBD metrics associated with the symptom.

Bob Wilson

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I replicated the symptom at 42 mph earlier today. This is a critical threshold speed in the earlier Prius between hybrid-mode with engine OFF and engine must run.

Bob Wilson

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So today I tried:
    • Cruise control ON while stopped, right after READY
    • Cruise control SET at 44 mph -> engine came ON!
    I was not expecting this.

Next cold soak, I'll try cruise control ON and SET at 35 mph. If the engine remains off, I'll use the stalk to increase the speed to 44 mph to see if the engine comes on.

I really want to find ways to use cruise control in cold weather without risking engine ON.

Bob Wilson

13. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this the radar controlled cruise mode only or have you also tried the constant speed mode? If you can replicate in radar mode, constant speed mode may yield a different result. Gut feeling here.

priuscatprimeguy and bwilson4web like this.
  14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I’ll add it to my list.

BTW, testing dynamic cruise control ON and SET at 35 mph did not start the engine. Using the stalk to increase speed to 45 mph did not trigger an engine ON event. Shortly I'll try the 35 mph ON+SET and then accelerate to 45 mph and try SET again.

Bob Wilson

#14 bwilson4web, Dec 13, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  15. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In my case when I accelerate up to 35 MPH, then set cruise ICE does in fact kick in.

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'll try again but ON+SET at 35 mph didn't force engine ON this morning. But I was already using the heater to help defrost the windshield.

Bob Wilson

17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    With temperatures in the 28F (-2C) range, the engine ON happened at 33 mph and lasted much longer, 5-6 miles vs 2-3. My past tests were warmer and often intermittent.

• Use "," to backup one frame and "." to go forward.
    • "Use on Expressway Only" signals cruise control is ON
    • The graphic lane with three bars, car, and speed signals cruise control is SET
    The only known workaround is to NOT use dynamic cruise control in cold weather. However, probability goes down as the temperature rises up to 50F (10C). Another factor, it is less likely as the battery SOC decreases from 100% and seen as low as 96%.

Bob Wilson

#17 bwilson4web, Dec 16, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    EXECUTIVE SUMMARY (V1.01)

In specific conditions, cruise control can enable the engine to come on and cycle while showing "EV Mode":
    CC-Set CC-On @33 mph CC-On @47 mph
    1 CC-Set @33 mph
    engine ON
    engine stays off
    2 CC-Set @47 mph engine stays off
    engine ON

Examples:

Use "," and "." to space through the video one frame at a time.

With temperatures in the 28F (-2C) range, the engine ON happened at 33 mph and lasted much longer, 5-6 miles vs 2-3. My past tests were warmer and often intermittent.

• Use "," to backup one frame and "." to go forward.
    • "Use on Expressway Only" signals cruise control is ON
    • The graphic lane with three bars, car, and speed signals cruise control is SET

My first video with a GS63H dash cam:

It happens at 1:54 into the video.

Testing with my 2017 Prius Prime Plus shows it requires cold-soaking the car at or below 48F (8C) with battery SOC 96-100%. The heater was off and the engine cycling did not change it. In contrast, "Front Defrost" turns on the engine and heater controls. Temperatures under 32F (0C) may inhibit the effect. We know the engine comes on at 14F (-10C).

METHODOLGY

The best approach uses two parts: (1) conduct a test and then; (2) reach ~45 mph and cycle the cruise control to verify the engine comes ON. This two part scenario ensures nothing else inhibited the symptom.

We don't know all of the limits:
    • lowest temperature - @john1701a and @Lee Jay testing suggest there is a lower limit
    • SOC limits - the tested range <80% and >=96% suggests the limit is within 81-95%.
    • lowest speed limit - lies somewhere between 35 and 45 mph
    • how to stop engine - power cycling the car may stop the cycle and leave the engine off
    Use a cell phone, dash cam or video recorder to monitor the test to avoid distracting the driver. Testing after sun set or before sun rise works best because the instruments can be easily read as well as the front view. Video recording can be done during the day with careful setup but test the video setup before testing the car.

SUMMARY

Once started, the engine cycle burns gas and reduces MPG. However, it can easily be defeated by turning cruise control ON when the car is first started. The only known workaround is to NOT use dynamic cruise control in cold weather. The probability goes down as the temperature rises up to 50F (10C) when it stops. Another factor, it is less likely as the battery SOC decreases from 100% and seen as low as 96%.

Thanks to @priuscatprimeguy and the thread he started, ICE comes on anyway | PriusChat who first identified the bug. There were some early driving notes but I can find no effect for stops, speeds, or maximum accelerations.

Bob Wilson

#18 bwilson4web, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  19. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I did that test with the car cold-soaking all night in sub-25°F weather, 16°F when I got in. I drove up a 700 foot total vertical climb from 100% battery to 16% battery nearly all of it in cruise before the engine started at 16% while climbing a 6% grade at 55mph. I drive that route most days because it's my route to work, I always use cruise and that time was the only time the engine ever started at all. Maybe it's because I use preconditioning when it's cold.

20. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have used preconditioning (climate prep, remote climate. left car plugged in until I leave for trip) and ICE still kicks in when accelerating to 35 MPH and then engaging Cruise.