1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cold weather cruise control and unexpected engine ON

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by bwilson4web, Dec 11, 2017.

1. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Adding temperature vs. previous SoC to the bottom of the list to be curious about in this case. Bob win a free pizza? I hear Little Caesar's has a new style...

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I see an inconsistency here, Bob.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I think we've figured out the temperature has to be under 50F (10C). Also, the SOC needs to be in the 96-100% range and definitely 80% or lower does not trigger the engine ON event. The range 81-95% remains unknown.

I detest most pizza except for Donatos thin-crust, "works", and a local independent "Ed's Pizza."

Bob Wilson

priuscatprimeguy and JamesBurke like this.
  4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm not terribly worried about this because @priuscatprimeguy consistently has colder temperatures than Dixie. I've also noticed some difference in the required speeds between 30-39F, lower speeds work, and 40-49F, consistent in the 42-46 mph range. This suggests the effect has some temperature dependence that is not binary. Testing to measure the temperature vs effect range is not trivial.

Bob Wilson

priuscatprimeguy and JamesBurke like this.
  5. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It came on for me at 55mph, 20F, and virtually coasting as far as power goes. 97% battery charge.

priuscatprimeguy and bwilson4web like this.
  6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That is consistent with what we've seen.

Bob Wilson

7. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's 9 F outside and when I started my car the dashboard said 18F went all EV to work, when I arrived the dashboard said 13F

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bwilson4web and JamesBurke like this.
  8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Rats! I tried a minimum key fob, "A/C" preconditioning but the engine ON happened when I set the cruise control. <GERR>

Bob Wilson

9. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @priuscatprimeguy
    Found it it was Bobs thread on off on seem to be working? to cold to tell? Still trying to interest some friends in need of new wheels in the Prime.

10. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    if you are referring to putting the car in READY then shutting the car off then putting it in READY again. I did that once and You Tubed it. and it seemed to do the trick

JamesBurke and bwilson4web like this.
  11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I just entered via "My Toyota" and postal mail:

Dear Sirs,

This letter describes a Prius Prime defect with dynamic cruise control in cold weather. Three Prime owners in the Priuschat forum replicated it. By forcing the engine to run while in EV mode (see second page,) the car suffers from significantly lower, winter mileage.

Cold soaking the Prime in temperature ranges of 14-50F (-10 to 10C) with battery SOC 96-100% at speeds of +41 mph, and then setting dynamic cruise control causes the engine to come on and run a warm-up cycle. At lower, freezing temperatures, the Prime becomes more sensitive with lower SOC and speeds.

This defect defeats EV mode resulting in poor mileage in cold weather. If we drive without dynamic cruise control, the engine stays off and the car remains in EV mode. By the way, this is not “front defrost” which is documented.

Please pass this note to the appropriate engineering or quality teams. If you need a report escalated from a Toyota Service Center, let me know and I will collaborate with the local dealer to open a service center ticket. However, cold enough weather can be rare in Dixie. Toyota dealers in colder, northern climates could easily replicate this problem with their inventory.

This is a 2017 Prius Prime Plus (JTDJARFP7H3991591) with 9,000 miles:

[​IMG]

The car is in “normal” mode and “EV mode” is on; temperature 28F; 98% SOC, and; the car outline shows the engine is running. The lower right shows cruise control is on and set which triggered the engine ON cycle. Front windshield defrost is not on.

When this happens, stopping the car and turning it OFF and back to READY reverts to EV mode.

Bob Wilson

#180113-000017
    9505 5000 1504 8013 0000 13

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Labeling a suggested enhancement as a "defect" won't get you too far... especially with Toyota, who uses a business-model of continuous improvement. Take a close look at Tesla's success, who also follows that same approach. The design is what they specified for requirements. Since nothing is actually broken or not working as intended, hence no defect. Instead, you should have submitted it as an improvement idea.

Looking at the other plug-in hybrids, like Hyundai/Kia and Honda, we see differences that completely mess up the rhetoric Volt enthusiasts have been spewing for years. Their mantra falls apart when the business aspect of design is taken into consideration, especially now with those new choices. Then ask why did Toyota make specific choices for this particular release. It comes down to how expectations are set.

"Know your audience" does indeed go both ways. We've witnessed that in the past with Toyota being receptive to owner feedback. For the topic of dynamic-cruise, there was no expectation set for cruising in the suburbs. That's new, a use no one ever mentioned that prior to its availability. Driving with cruise-control anywhere except on the highway was simply unheard off. And since that's what consumes EV the fastest, the expectations was that the engine would be used then anyway.

With the next iteration of design from Toyota, we could the requirement change. Note how Tesla calls those changes to existing vehicles an update. That works great... for them, as a new player exclusive to the EV world. With legacy operation... such as the big traditional vehicle manufacturers, like Toyota... changes after the sale are given a "recall" stigma. So, take into serious consideration about how changes are presented.

Business is much more than just great engineering of hardware & software. Labels make a difference.

13. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is a defect. When the car is in EV mode the engine should not come on until it is ready to change to Hybrid mode or slightly prior.

14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My studies of IOS-9000 say that there must be a trouble ticketing system. It doesn't say a problem will be resolved in a way I would want. But the trouble ticket will be recorded, tracked, and passed on for some sort of investigation. That is why I volunteered to try and replicate the problem with the local dealer if they need it to come via a service ticket. Unfortunately, Dixie has intermittent cold-soak temperatures.

I have no illusions that this problem will be resolved the way I would want. For example, adding another clause in the User Manual would be perfectly acceptable. Of course that would expose this 'feature' to the Prius Prime user community, Toyota competition, and magazine reporters. But I would be remiss if I didn't go the extra mile to document and report the problem.

If there is a better way to submit a 'suggestion', I have no problem with rephrasing my complaint as a suggestion. Perhaps @Prius Team might have something to share?

Bob Wilson

Prodigyplace likes this.
  15. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps a PM to @Prius Team could give some direction. At least tell them about the issue since they are responsible for marketing the Prime in the US.

16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My study of Six-Sigma... which is heavily influenced by Toyota... focuses on continuous improvement.

17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Why? Your purchase was to get top efficiency, not for EV driving under all circumstances. Prime is a plug-in hybrid. It uses the engine from time to time... to protect the battery... to make you warm... to keep fluids fresh.

18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And, how does the engine coming on in EV mode protect the battery? If it cannot run the advertised distance in EV, it is really just a plain ol' hybrid. The Prime has a heat pump to keep you warm.

Bob is not referring to an occasional run to keep the fluids fresh. It is a reproducible bug.

19. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I agree this is a bug. Whether you're in cruise or not shouldn't matter, what should matter is throttle position (including regeneration level), battery level (95-99% seems to be the only windows in which this happens, which makes no sense whatsoever), and temperature (I've had it happen from 20F to 56F now, which again makes no sense).

Bug.

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Advertised? Sounds just like complaints of the past from people who didn't actually read what the window-sticker said.

We're set on educating people. Doing things like provide video-clips for them to observe system operation, just like we witness but take for granted, is a mixed blessing. Think about how many people don't have a clue how their old ICE vehicle actually works. The raising of awareness contributes to a wide variety of "issues" to deal with.

Take a look at ERDTT for Volt. After all these years, that so-called "problem" still exists. Ask why? That condition of "Engine Running Due To Temperature" is a reality, whether you like it or not. GM takes advantage of having an engine available. It's a tradeoff. Providing heat at the low extreme is very expensive, hence the more complex warming system in Bolt.

I don't see plain ol' hybrids offering outstanding MPG in the warmer months for only a small MSRP less. Watch my most recent video and show proof that the tradeoffs Toyota decided upon are not worth it.

The behavior to make sure the engine is pre-warmed when using cruise below a certain temperature could easily be a safety aspect. You're not paying as close attention when using cruise as when operating the pedal, so the windshield must be guaranteed clear. Calling that a "defect" or a "bug" is refusal to acknowledge the possibility of it being a conscious choice.

As a software engineer, I'd see the complaint ticket and reply back that the system is working exactly as designed. The defect ticket would then be closed, since there's nothing broken. There would be a suggestion for future improvement, since that's what upgrades are for.