1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cold weather dashlights don't work!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dow, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Dow

Dow New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My wife's 2007 Prius Dash lights stop working in extreme cold weather. We have asked the dealer 3 times about it but to no avail! No one seems to have any ideas about this. Does any body have any suggestions. I don't even know where to start with this one?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the combination meter is the only system which is intermittent, the problem is with that device. It had been covered under an extended warranty.
    T-SB-0172-09 Combination Meter - Intermittent Display | PriusChat

Otherwise, if the combination meter is not the issue, then I know where to start:

1. Obtain the electrical wiring diagram for your model year at techinfo.toyota.com
    2. Get a decent digital multimeter for use in troubleshooting
    3. Find a system that is intermittent.
    4. Refer to the EWD to determine the relays and fuses that feed that system
    5. Park the car outside in cold weather so that the system will not function
    6. Use the multimeter set to voltage and trace the wiring (per the EWD) to see where you no longer measure 12V. That is where your problem is.

Most likely, the problem is a relay that gets stuck so it will not engage in cold weather.

3. Dow

Dow New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I thank you Mr. Wong! It is sure nice to have a place to ask questions and get good advice.

4. Mrs.Diamond

Mrs.Diamond Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did you find the fix? I’ve been having the same issue.

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Search for Combination Meter in the Gen 2 forums.

Essentially, if it is faulty, send yours to Matt @Texas Hybrid Batteries with some $$$, your ODO reading and he will send you a refurbished unit with the correct milage programmed. Contact him direct for details.

Mrs.Diamond and Raytheeagle like this.