1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cold Weather is killing us!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by priusham, Nov 15, 2004.

1. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you ever heard that the fuel consumption of F1 car at the Interlagos Circuit is better than other circuits?
    Have you ever heard that the Interlagos Circuit is located approximately 700m above sea-level?
    Have you ever heard about Charles's law?
    Have you ever heard that the cold air is thicker than warm air?
    Have you ever heard about the stoichiometric air-fuel ratio (14.7:1)?
    Have you ever heard that the engine ECU adjusts the fuel thickness by the air thickness?
    Have you ever heard that the gas mileage could be improved if you made the intake-air warm?

Regards,
    Ken@Japan

2. Batavier

Batavier Member

My mileage is taking a hit as well. It's pretty tough to get below 5 l/100 km at the moment. Especially on the highway. I was able to get 4.8 l/100 km, but now I have to resort to taking green routes to get a lower mileage. Takes a bit longer to get home, but I do not want to get above 5 l/100 km. *grin*

3. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784\";p=\"51579)</div>
    [align=center:dc2603e116][​IMG][/align:dc2603e116]

4. Totalshock

Totalshock New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Batavier\";p=\"51623)</div>
    I know how you feel. Despite the fact that it's a lower mark than 50mpg (actually, 4.7 is 50, I believe), there is a psychological barrier for me about going over 5.0. Somehow, all's right with the world as long as the digit before the decimal remains a 4. But if it goes to 5, my world falls apart and crumbles before my eyes.

Okay, maybe not.... but still.

5. Dion

Dion New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    50 is the mark. I am trying not to go below 50MPG per tank. This winter will be hard to swallow. These last few warm days have helped.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    5.0 L/100km last tank. Currently 4.9 L/100km... It's hard to stay below 5. Although I'm still within the break-in period. It'll probably be easier in the Prairies :p

7. TCD

TCD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well in Reno we're in the low 30's - high 20's in the morning and the mid 30's - low 40's during the day. I'm down about 5%... Same loop, same attitude, same old guy driving.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"51828)</div>
    The only problem living in the Prairies is that the wind seems to blow ALL the time! Really, it does. With the cruise set at 105 km/h, I've seen the MFD indicate 7 l / 100km with typical headwinds and sidewinds. On the return trip, 3.8-4.2 at the same speed. The few times with no wind, I can get down to 4.6-4.8 at the same speed. That was when the Prius only had 1,000km on it, with temps still between 10-16 C.

9. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I just put my snow tires on over the weekend. My mileage took a hit for these as well as winter formulation gas began flowing recently. I am using Michelin on all 4; pressure stays at 40/38. This tank is reading 52.0 so far.

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well... i have experienced a fairly precipitous drop in fuel economy.

in my last 5 tanks before the cold weather started i was over the EPA average of 55 mpg. but since then, my average is now 48.8 mpg. so i have taken a pretty good drop in mpg...

but we are not alone... i am tracking gas mileage in my sisters car also. looks as if winter time maybe hitting her harder than its hitting me... will have more data by this weekend.

11. frbill

frbill New Member

I too have seen the drop but today I found gas for 1.79 and just had to fill up. I only put in 2.3 gallons but when I looked at my Pocket PC Car Manager it figured the mileage as 58.0MPG :mrgreen: The car was showing 53.2 so I am happy either way. I got 52 mpg from the car on the rest of the way home. Today the temp was in the mid 50's and I did mostly highway (55mph) so that could be part of it. I am quite happy with the mileage and it seems that if I am careful and I can get better mileage. Here is hoping I can continue to get better MPG.

Peace,

Fr. Bill Kessler