1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cold Weather - Oil / Oil Filter warning displayed on start-up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tom Farrell, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Tom Farrell

Tom Farrell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Please pardon if this is a redundant question. I did not see it addressed elsewhere. Temperatures have been way below freezing recently where I live and I have also noticed that my Prius II (2007, 120,000 miles) -- which I bought a couple months ago from the same dealer where it was originally bought as a used car and impeccably maintained -- is now, right after I start the car, showing on its display screen (and not any of the red or yellow indicators on the instrument panel) a brief warning to have oil and oil filter checked.

Oil was changed less than 300 miles ago, before I purchased the car. I had set the car's maintenance menus to remind about oil / oil filter to be changed 5,000 miles later (about 4,700 miles from now) -- so warning is not coming from that.

I do note that, after I have been driving the car, make a stop and start back up, the on-screen warnings about oil / oil filter do not appear. So it makes sense to me that the car and oil were initially cold and had contracted, thus leading to a perhaps spurious report of an issue with oil level?

I'm sure it is prudent to check the oil level -- once it's warm enough outside to do so.

Meanwhile, I wonder if anybody else has experienced this kind of warning display and whether it is just due to cold weather as I surmise?

If I were to add oil, I'm not even sure what would be appropriate at this time of year. I don't even know what oil is in the car already -- though I imagine I could find out from the dealer.

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Welcome to PC.
    Some Prius owners report there cars are using some oil at your level of miles. It would be advisable to check your oil level before you next drive the car. At only a few miles from an oil change I doubt the oil level is to low
    The question has to be asked what grade of oil was put in the car. In a cold climate a 0w-20 or 0w-30 would be the best choice. Heavier oils should be avoided, and can cause engine trouble codes to be issued at low temperatures.

John (Britprius)

#2 Britprius, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  3. RobertK

RobertK Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The "warnings" you are seeing are maintenance reminders. There are reminders for about 12 items and 3 user defined items. Oil and oil filter are two of them. You will see them at startup whenever any of these items exceeds its time or mileage interval until you either reset the interval or hit the "do not display this item again" button on the screen. The intervals are based on time and/or mileage and the intervals are set by the user. You access this menu by touching the "info" button on the MFD and select "maintenance", then select the item you wish to view/change. These items are in addition to the "maintenance required" light on the dash that is programmed to go off every 5000 miles or six months.

None of these items measure or track anything other than time and mileage. You still need to check your oil and fluid levels on a regular basis.

4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OP lives in Charlotte NC so 5w-30 (5w-XX) is perfect and even 10w-30 (10w-XX) would be ok. And to it being too cold to check oil I would say that it’s warm enough to do repair/maintenance work outside.

Britprius likes this.
  5. Tom Farrell

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks so much for all the great answers. I had thought I'd checked the maintenance reminders, since I set them myself after I bought the car -- but I could be wrong. Yet the reminders only come up with the engine is COMPLETELY cold. Start the car after it's been driven and they do not appear.

I really DO want to check the oil level. But temperatures are very low (for where I live anyway) with this "Siberian Express" rolling through and I'm nursing the flu. I think it's going to be a good bit warmer tomorrow.

Really glad for the recommendations of what grade of oil to use. Also of the report of older Prius II models using up oil. I'll report back with my findings.

6. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok this really is interesting. I haven't heard of this before, so I'm not certain, but I wonder if the Prius can detect when there is an unexpectedly long delay in getting oil pressure and issue an error message.

I'd check the oil while it is very cold and make sure the viscosity doesn't seem way out of spec. If the oil looks good then I'd change the filter anyway (use an OEM filter), just to rule that out.

#6 uart, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I must admit I did not notice where the OP lived. I was reacting to the fact that he said it was very cold, and this is obviously subjective. In my mind I was thinking below -10C. Seeing the weather on the news in the UK for the eastern, and southern US I can understand for the affected people it must seem very cold.
    The UK this year "so fare" has had a very mild winter. The lowest recorded temperature where I live has been -8C where we would normally see -16C or lower. We also have had little snow, but there is some forecast over the next two days.

John (Britprius)

8. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    it was mentioned before (by the critic IIRC) that if oil is too thick for ambient temp, some error code is displayed. OP should check what oil was used and if there is any oil in the first place. what's with people not checking their oils?

9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is no error code as such for low oil pressure. There is a code for engine failed to start (P3191) and this can be caused by the oil being to viscous causing the required cranking speed not to be reached. It is not clear if it can be caused by lack of oil pressure restricting the starting process. I would imagine disconnecting the oil pressure switch would confirm this.
    It would be dangerous if low oil pressure were to shut the engine down once running to protect it.

John (Britprius)

#9 Britprius, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  10. Tom Farrell

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here is the resolution: It seems I caused the oil / oil filter maintenance reminders to appear prematurely. Upon obtaining the car, I read the owner's manual cover-to-cover and worked through every menu provided by the on-board computer. The prior owner had never used the maintenance reminders but I wanted to try them out. As it turns out, I set the oil and oil filter change reminders for three months and 5,000 miles from the previous oil change, which was early in October 2014.

Therefore, the reminders started showing up about a week ago, which I guess makes sense. I honestly thought reminders would be based upon mileage alone not time passed, but I was WRONG. I can see however that for some maintenance items, time passed is as important as miles driven. Anyhow, I need to go back to the manual and review this feature if I intend to make intelligent use of it.

I did first check my actual oil level. It was perfect.

Thanks to everybody for the input.

And yes, 6 degrees Fahrenheit is VERY cold here in North Carolina even if some who live in more northern climates think not. We don't own heavy jackets and, at the first flake of snow, everybody runs to the grocery in a panic to buy out all the milk and bread. And absolutely nobody seems to know how to drive on snow or ice, though it seems very easy to do when nobody else is on the road. But I digress....

11. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It still leaves one question though. Why do the reminders on your Prius only show up when the engine is cold? I've never used them, but I would have thought that if a reminder was due then it would show up every time the car was started (transitioned from off to ready), regardless of how warm or cold the engine was.

Has anyone else experienced this behaviour with reminders? It seems weird.

Britprius likes this.