1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cold Weather Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jolly, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Jolly

Jolly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2008 Prius with blocked grill and block heater. I have approximately 7 miles of state highway to drive to work. I'm just wondering if there are any other cold weather drivers out there who let their Prius warm up before driving. I need to drive one mile to a stop sign on a rural road before I can turn onto the highway and then at 8 in the morning with traffic there's not chance to stop to get into the upper stages of operation. I know I've read here before to just start driving when you turn on the car but in my case wouldn't it make sense to warm it up first? I'm barely at 130F. by time I hit the stop sign and the engine doesn't shut down. Any opinions? BTW, it was 3F this morning and gonna get colder.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    brutal! i would try letting it warm up for a few minutes and see what happens.

3. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How long are you running the block heater and how hot is it when you first start? How blocked is the grille? Do you use heat? Is the highway driving at highway speeds or slow traffic? If you're going over 40MPH, I don't think it makes a difference if you're in stage 4. However, if its slower and you would be pulsing and gliding, then getting to stage 4 would help.

4. Jolly

Jolly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I do a little bit of all techniques depending on the traffic since I don't want to be a hazard. I run the block heater about 3 hrs. and the temp starts at about 80F. I have the upper and lower grill blocked except for one slot in the bottom grill. I try not to use heat until I hit the stop sign. By then, if I'm not at a good engine temp I just say screw it - I'm freezing.

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It won't hurt the Prius if you let it warm up a little bit before driving off. At least then you will have heat so you don't freeze. The only thing it will do really is cause the MPG to suffer some. Remember the system gets the best MPG when it is up to normal operating temperature.

When it is real cold here, I tend to let ours run at least five minutes then drive off. By then the heat is working and I am comfortable.

Don't be surprised if you don't get S4 mode in your commute.

6. Jolly

Jolly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Ok, thanks. But another question. I can get great mileage using SHM around 1200rpm. That puts me at about 40 mph and yields 60-70mpg. I've read that people can cruise down the highway at 60mph at that same low rpm. How is that possible? What's the trick? Sometimes 40 is just too slow for the highway traffic.

7. OMG

OMG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What I do is I start the car up and le it run a for a couple of minutes. That heat storage tank really works during the winter when the enigne warms up kind of hard. Because its winter I don't even bother much with the MPG most likely because the engine has to run in order to keep the car warm inside. We had 4 degrees cold and now it kind of went up a bit and sits into upper 20s during the day.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You'd be surprised how much opportunity there actually is for engine-off driving, even at -18°F...
    [​IMG]

But whether or not the engine runs is really a non-issue. It's the results that count...
    [​IMG]

That wasn't too bad considering how &%#$@! cold it was.

The results from this drive was better...
    [​IMG]

dorunron likes this.
  9. Jolly

Jolly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    What speed and rpm? That's what I'm confused about. I can't monitor IGN with my setup

10. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My setup is stock, just the MFD. No scangage here so can't see all the fancy numbers. What I do is reach the speed I want to go, then ease off the pressure very lightly on the accelerator pedal until I see the instantaneous mpg reading 60. If conditions are right (grade, wind, road etc) I have found I can hold 55 MPH fairly well. 60 MPH and over I have had no luck with. If I see the speed dropping off I will let it drop to about where the MPG is showing 50 or a little more and then speed back up to my target speed and start the process again. It also seems that the higher the SOC the higher I can get the MFD when attempting SHM. I only do this on short runs though. Long trips, I set the cruise and let it roll.

Hobbit wrote a great post on this on another site. But he was measuring both manifold vacuum and RPM.

11. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Depending on your tires and pressure, you should be able to get nearly the same mileage at 55-60MPH. I would just watch the instant MPG as your guide.

Also, consider blocking the rest of the grille for the winter. With my lower grille fully blocked and the upper open, I max out at about 190F on the highway.

12. OMG

OMG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You seem well versed into taking advantage of the mpg.

I average about 35 mpg. Owned my prius since last week. If I drive the car nice and eas up on the gas I see the mpg 50+ but if I am in a hurry mpg is crap. I filled the tank up today for the first time and reset the odometer. Will see what results I get. What I did notice that car runs on battery only kind of rare even if I go slow or just cruise engine still kicks in and runs. What I do take advantage of is when I slow down or go downhill.

13. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are several things you can do. Adjust air pressure on tires. Check to see if they are LRR type tires. Change when wore out if not.

Learn about hypermiling techniques including Pulse and Glide.

Use synthetic oil.

Those are just a few tricks I have employed. By following those I have been able to beat the EPA estimates. Not as good as John above, but I am happy with what I get.

FWIW, it took me over a year to figure everything out.

In my signature below are some important links that pertain to hypermiling and understanding the modes of the Prius operation. Study them and practice P&G when you can. Don't drive the Prius like a race car and take advantage of P&G as much as possible. I don't drive like a grandma, but I don't have the pedal to the medal either. The key is momentum and not using the ICE or battery anymore than is needed.

Good luck and remember you can't learn all of it overnight. It takes time. Enjoy your new to you Prius.

14. OMG

OMG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you dorunron I will do that. :)

15. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Freebie: Air Pressure in tires. Try 42 front, and 40 rear. Adjust up or down to your preference. Less pressure gives better ride but sacrifices MPG. Do NOT exceed maximum tire pressure that is marked on the side of the tires.

I run our Michelin Energy A/S tires (LRR type tires) very expensive at 40F, 38R. If you look at my fuelly in my signature below you will see the MPG since I installed the tires. True data will be collected once one year rolls around. I have about six months on them now.

Remember the Prius gets its worst MPG during the winter and its best during the warmer drier months.

There are other things too like climate control settings. Lots of tips can be found here on PC. Do some reading in the "fuel economy" section forum. That should really help you.

Don't forget P&G that too is a freebie. It takes a little practice but after a while it becomes second nature and with practice you can get to where the whole process is painless and relatively smooth. It is all in how you work the go pedal. Remember momentum is the key.

Best of luck to you!

16. Jolly

Jolly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, I had the Energy Savers on my old Prius until it got totaled. I could tell the difference right away with the Michelins.. As soon as I can talk my wife into it I'm going to get a set for my current Prius. Thanks for all the input. I can't wait to find that SHM spot of traveling at 50mph+ and getting over 50-60mpg.

17. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    With all the changes I have made, I think the best thing was the tire choice. Air pressure helped, and the synthetic oil helped too, but when I went from the OEM Integrity to the Michelin that is when the Prius acted like a real gas saver.

With the OEM tires, my average was a consistent 45 to 48. With the Michelin Energy Saver the numbers have seemed to increase. I really won't know until another six months has passed.

I also must say that I did not see the good numbers doing SHM until I went with the new tires. So keep all of that in mind in your quest for SHM good numbers.

Honestly though, when you compare the Prius to traditional even low to mid 40's is better than most out there today with gasoline power.

18. Jolly

Jolly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    What I really noticed with the Energy Savers was during PNG it seemed the glide would go on forever. I'm really looking forward to getting them on my current Prius. As far as mpg, you're right about even what we consider "bad" FE being better than most out there. But the Prius gets me in a different mind set. During the winter here in Minnesota when I fill up and do the math and find I only got 41mpg I practically fall into depression. Weird.
    In my 59 years I've never been so fascinated by a car. I even look forward to driving to work 'cause it gives me a chance to drive it. My wife thinks I'm nuts.

M.ark likes this.
  19. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would venture to say that if you are getting 41, I bet the other guy is getting less because he too is fighting the same cold and the winter gas you are. All cars suffer from MPG loss during the winter versus the summer.

Winter won't last forever. It will be over before you know it and the good numbers will return in time.

20. Jolly

Jolly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I appreciate your encouragement and optimistic attitude. I'm gonna need lots of optimism this Monday when it's predicted to be -20F!

That Girl19 likes this.