1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cold weather related? Car won't start unless we try to start about 5-10 times

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JasonInNJ, Nov 18, 2006.

1. jmspar

jmspar New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Cold weather related? Car won't start unless we try to start about 5-10 times

Here is a possible cheap solution to these "cold-weather start problems" of the Prius. I have a 2001 model, which is great except for that annoying tendency to stop after 10 seconds by cold weather, with all warning lights on! No dealer could find the reason for that. On the web, I've found that it is related to a computer problem: the ECU (engine control unit, 2000€ to change) is too sensitive and feels there is a very bad problem, whereas the engine just needs some time to heat up.

To avoid this multiple restart procedure, here is what works with my Prius:
    - start the engine normally (you should hear the gas engine start)
    - immediately switch to neutral (this seems to freeze the ECU thinking)
    - wait for a few seconds, until the engine runs smoothly
    - switch back to drive or rear and drive normally.

Hope this helps!

Jean-Marc

2. 2013PriusVDale

2013PriusVDale New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    V
    I have a 2013 Prius 2 and it's been in the 50's here in SWFL lately and I too have been having difficulty starting my car lately. I too think it's due to the cold weather due to the fact that until we experienced cold weather, I never had a problems. Also, my "Maintenance Needed Soon" light has been coming on and I am not due for an oil change.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When was the last time that you replaced the 12V battery? If your answer is "never", then this is the time to do that. If your answer is "recently", then fully charge the 12V battery and see if that helps.
    The reminder notice comes on at 5,000 mile intervals, while the oil change interval per the maintenance schedule is 10,000 miles (but no less frequently than annually.)

Raytheeagle likes this.