1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

College Student Router

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by frodoz737, Aug 17, 2015.

1. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Boy ships off to College Part II tomorrow AM and needs a wireless router for his off campus "Students Only" apartment. They provide up to 30Mbps down ethernet (for now), but every one has their own wireless router. He has an S4 and Dell Precision 4600 with WiFi and a 6300 AGN card. I am more of a "hard-liner" so fish out of water on the wireless as it applies here. Any helpful product recommendations at/or under $100 inclusive. Buying today.

Thanks.

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wireless router?

I've used company rigs for the last decade, but I always tell people to just go to WM and get the CHEAPEST unit that they sell, and lock it down. There's not enough of a difference between the $35 el-cheapo router and the $150 gollywog units to spent time with spread sheets over, and his unit will be covering probably 400 square feet, and operating in an environment where you probably don't want to be the loudest voice on the block.

Tell him to lock the unit down, but not to agonize over a 256-bit password.
    Some 15-year-old kid can still hack into it if they want to and your kid is going to be protected by the 147 other routers......probably 15 of which will be WAO.
    Herd security.

Good Luck!

ftl likes this.
  3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks. PM sent.