1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Collision Avoidance?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Daboo, May 26, 2019.

1. Daboo

Daboo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't think I'm calling this the proper thing, so that's maybe why I can't find my answer using the Search function.

My wife has a 2016 Prius. It has the rear camera and the blind spot warning system. It used to be that when she was backing out of a parking stall and a car was coming from either side, it would warn her of the vehicle. Now we're not getting any warning at all. The camera works and the blindspot feature in the side mirrors works...but no warning of anything from the rear and sides.

What do I call this? (So I can do a search later.) And is there something we've done to turn that feature off? If so, how do I enable it again?

Thank you.
    Chris

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Rear Cross Traffic Alert"

Owner's Manual - just the start - there are several pages to read, including a turn on/off:
    upload_2019-5-26_15-52-10.png

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  3. Daboo

Daboo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you! I did some searching on option packages for 2016 Prius's and found that was what it was called. Now to figure out how we've inadvertently turned it off.

Again, thank you.
    Chris

4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There was mention on the next couple of pages about how to turn it on. It could have been a computer glitch, or alternatively something which was accidentally turned off while doing something else.

Have you had the battery disconnected for anything?

5. Daboo

Daboo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I looked up the references in the Owner's Manual and it says it may not detect smaller objects like pedestrians. And it was a pedestrian walking by that the system didn't notice, when my wife told me about it. We'll check it out in the daytime with our cars and see if it works then. I suspect the system is working just fine...but not like my wife thinks it should.

Thanks for replying.

Chris

6. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Mine only picks up pedestrians when they are directly behind (or in front of) the car, not when they are approaching from the sides.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That would be the Intelligent Clearance Sonar System (basically the advanced parking sensors).

RCTA uses a millimetre-wave radar mounted behind the rear bumper.