1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Collision - Things to make sure

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by AmazingPriusPrime, Mar 16, 2022.

Tags:
  1. AmazingPriusPrime

AmazingPriusPrime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Got into a collision today with the other driver's fault (He was taking a left on my right of way). Anyways, looking at the damage below, are they anything to be aware or make sure when I take the car to the body shop to fix? I think none of the EV areas are impacted but would like to take your opinion so I can select a body shop accordingly. FWIW, I'm in Seattle Eastside area. Anything else to double check or make sure will be really appreciated. No injury to either drivers. Also, this is 2017 advanced but for some reason couldn't detect and stop the collision probably due to the direction in which the other car came and hit.
    [​IMG]
    s

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That sucks, make sure they replace that driver's side wheel. Have them verify that there is no suspension damage from the impact to the wheel, and check the alignment.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Trollbait likes this.
  3. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Take a very good look for less obvious spots of damage. Photograph all the damaged parts so you'll have that to go back to when the shop says it's ready for you. Take an extensive test drive before you accept it back. It'll need an alignment check, and on your test drive try for a straight level road where you can take your hands off the steering wheel briefly. It the car doesn't continue straight, the alignment isn't correct, perhaps due to bent parts they should have changed. Look at the earlier posting about front wheel bearing noise--listen for that both driving straight and turning both directions. Your car should look like new and drive like new.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when it gets to the body shop, tell them you want to see it after they pull the damaged panels off and discuss what hidden damage they find. usually the insco takes a look at that point

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We took ours to a Toyota collision center. No squawks from insurance. Looks like a new car now.

6. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Since this the Advanced/Limited trim, you need to take it to a Toyota dealer because other shops will be clueless on how to recalibrate your parking sensors and radars.

Incidentally, it could cost more than $1,000 to recalibrate the parking sensors alone. However, insurance companies negotiate it to half the price. Simply have this done through an insurance company at a Toyota dealer and don't worry about the rest. If it is a hit-and-run, you will need to pay your deductible. Moreover, these repairs take a very long time, and you will need a rental car for perhaps about a couple of months.

#6 Gokhan, Mar 19, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  7. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Check to see if the body shop replaces the front wheel bearing and strut assembly. I can't tell from the picture, if the rear wheel took a hit. Wheel bearings take a while, before you notice there's a problem. Minor damage turns into grinding noises a few thousand miles down the road.