Colorado Catalytic Converter Theft - Advice?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Colorado2009, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Colorado2009

Colorado2009 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello, new user here. I've been scrolling through the many catalytic converter cat theft threads, but there's a lot being discussed and it's a little overwhelming.

Mine was stolen yesterday off of my 2009 Prius (my only car). I'm being quoted a $3,000 repair bill (didn't insure the vehicle, since it's older) but more importantly the shop said they have no idea when the parts will become available from Toyota again. It doesn't make sense for me to leave the car sitting for 5 months, the battery might die right?

What are other people doing in situations like this? I'm especially interested if you live in Colorado or state with similar regulations. Are you waiting 5 months to repair, or are you selling the car and buying a different one?

One store I called told me to drive it across the border to Wyoming - that way I'll be able to get the repair done ASAP and cheaper (I'm assuming with a non-CARB compliant catalytic converter). Is that even legal? Is the law that only CARB-compliant cats can be used when the installation is PERFORMED in Colorado, or is it that since my car is a Colorado-registered car it must have a CARB-compliant cat?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you need to ask a local inspection shop if a non toyota cat will pass. if so, the job is a couple hundred bucks.
    if not, you'll have to shop around for the best price you can find.

Colorado2009 likes this.
  3. jzchen

jzchen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The CARB cat requirement is a nightmare...

I don’t see my smog check guy take a look under the car when I get a smog check.

Even if he did, I wonder if one could get away with installing a universal CARB certified cat, meaning it has an EO# stamped on it....

Walker sells a cat that has a CARB EO# for a 2009 Corolla. Technically the smog check person is supposed to verify that the number stamped is valid for the vehicle model it is installed on, but considering my guy doesn’t even look underneath the car:

What are the chances he’s gonna look under next smog check? Very low.

What are the chances he’s gonna verify the stamped CARB EO# matches for my car? Even lower since he doesn’t look underneath in the first place.

You’d be in trouble if caught, but the Toyota replacement is horribly expensive.

Colorado2009 likes this.
  4. The Lizard King

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Buy an aftermarket catalytic converter and roll the dice on not having it visually inspected. Many aftermarket catalytic converters work as well or even better than the Toyota OEM ones.

Colorado2009 likes this.
  5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    jzchen and Colorado2009 like this.
  6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's a pretty easy repair for less than $200 if you or your friend has experience jacking a car up safely so you can work on it. $130 for cat and $20 for O2 sensor...

#6 PriusCamper, Mar 22, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    Colorado2009 likes this.
  7. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Where is Colorado was it stolen may I ask?

8. The Lizard King

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Colorado Springs. :)

PriusCamper likes this.